PDA

View Full Version : Powercolor 5870 LCS

emertX
11-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Hi there!

This card should be available since today.
Are there any shops out there having this card?

emertX
11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Noone?

{WFH}+SLAYER+
11-09-2009, 12:16 AM
The only place I could find it is at NCIX:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=46234&vpn=LCS%20AX5870%201GBD5-WMDH&manufacture=PowerColor

It never was in stock, and with the current situation with the 5870's, it will be hard to find one for some time.

LinusTech
11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I know we have some of these coming soon. Follow up with PC@ncix.com if you want to find out the exact ETA.

emertX
11-09-2009, 04:11 AM
On stock!
http://shop.vv-computer.de/shop/article/503242?referer=schottenland.de

TechloGoblin
11-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Newegg here in the U.S. had them available for most of the day. They just recently sold out

emertX
11-11-2009, 12:13 AM
I know, got an Auto-Notify, but was too expensive I think... The Vapor-X is much more interesting!

TechloGoblin
11-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I know, got an Auto-Notify, but was too expensive I think... The Vapor-X is much more interesting!

basically any 5870 right now with air cooler is going to cost $399
you add $100 for an eK full block and the Power Color is right in line at $499.00

If you are looking to go strictly air then of course it is too expensive, but for a water cooled card from the factory I'm not quite sure how it could be deemed expensive.

:cool:

emertX
11-11-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm with you...but think on it, that the normal ones were right at 379 or 369.-$!
So I would pay 479$ not more...

TechloGoblin
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm with you...but think on it, that the normal ones were right at 379 or 369.-$!
So I would pay 479$ not more...

they wont be at that price for a long long long time with the kind of outages they have on the 58xx series cards

emertX
11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
You might be right, but the Hemlock should cost 499$ so who's going to by a LCS, if he could get nearly two of them for the same price...?

Jamesrt2004
11-12-2009, 05:46 AM
You might be right, but the Hemlock should cost 499$ so who's going to by a LCS, if he could get nearly two of them for the same price...?

you cant compare a card with a $100 waterblock to a card without one...

x2 with waterblock will be what. 599 :/ .. so you dont realy have a point

Blkout
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Someone that wants a cool running and more importantly QUIET video card.

MarkJohnson
12-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Any news on their performance? can they softwae overvolt like the nvidia cards yet?

I see newegg has them in stock for $515, as well as, a lot of other 5870 cards in general.

Are their other manufacturers with waterblocks on the 5870? I need a watercooled card, but I don't want to buy the block separate and the hassles with adding the block and messing things up and voiding the warranty. I like that this thing has an EK waterblock, but not sure on powercolor's quality, and it only comes with a 2-year warranty, but I will probably upgrade by that time anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

-=Mark=-

denden
12-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I got this LCS and asus 5870 with ek block as well, the stock bios of LCS is lonly limited to 900mhz so I flashed it to asus bios then I could push it to 1ghz but the vcore needed to bump to 1.22v with msi afterburn while the asus could do it at stock vcore

hope this helps.

Any news on their performance? can they softwae overvolt like the nvidia cards yet?

I see newegg has them in stock for $515, as well as, a lot of other 5870 cards in general.

Are their other manufacturers with waterblocks on the 5870? I need a watercooled card, but I don't want to buy the block separate and the hassles with adding the block and messing things up and voiding the warranty. I like that this thing has an EK waterblock, but not sure on powercolor's quality, and it only comes with a 2-year warranty, but I will probably upgrade by that time anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I went ahead and ordered it and it is working great so far. I haven't tried overclocking yet, but all my games seem to be working well.

Thanks
-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I was overclocking today and hit a 990MHz limit. You say you used an Asus BIOS to pass 1GHz.

Can you point me to the right one. I see more than 1 at Asus and want to male sure I get the right one.

Thanks
-=Mark=-

Soulwind
04-16-2010, 05:02 AM
That 900mhz overclock limit is only for some of the original, older, versions.

Here's an old review on tomshardware that talks about it: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/powercolor-5870-lcs,2481.html

"PowerColor responded with a BIOS that does a bit better than the original, sporting a 1,000 MHz core and a 1,500 MHz memory limit. It might not offer the 1,200 MHz core limit we were hoping for, but it’s a step in the right direction. At the time this article was written, PowerColor told us future versions of the Radeon HD 5870 LCS will get this BIOS from the factory and customers with the original BIOS can contact the company directly for the upgraded version if they desire. Purportedly, there were about 100 boards shipped with the more limited software, so its effects should still be fairly minor."

and

"We originally intended to see how far the card could go, so we decided to up the ante by applying an unlocked Asus Radeon HD 5870 BIOS we came across. This Asus BIOS not only had the 1,200 MHz core limit we originally wanted from PowerColor, but it also allows us to use the SmartDoctor tool and its high 1.5V core voltage limit.

The downside to this, of course, is that flashing a non-stock BIOS will quickly void the warranty (at best) and perhaps damage the card (at worst). We’re taking the risk so you don’t have to, and you will be able to see if the danger is worth our results. Of course, we’re in no way advocating that flashing a graphics card is the smartest thing to do to a $520 add-in, and any damage you cause by trying it is obviously your own responsibility."

It just seems to me that if you went through the trouble of buying a powercolor card with a pre-installed block (so that you can have a water-cooled card without a voided warranty) rather than just buying the ASUS and putting on your own wb in the first place, why would you then want to void that warranty by flashing a different manufacturer's bios onto it?

RacingTurtle
04-16-2010, 05:22 AM
MarkJohnson, check out this thread - everything you need to know about going above 1GHZ:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235693