PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New 46" TV?

vegettoxp
11-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello there Guys. in the next couple of months, I am planning to get a new LCD. Currently I have a Samsung 22" LCD Monitor and it is a really good hardware, but now I want something big.

This TV will be used for PC, XBOX 360, and Cable Box (HD Media). I am planning to pick up the ATI 5850 Graphic Card to go with my New TV. I am a BIG Samsung Fan and I have picked my first choice. I need your Guys Input and let me know if this is a Good Choice. If you guys have any other recommendation, share them with me. I am hoping I can get a Good Deal either on Black Friday or Online. Thank You for your opinion Guys.

SAMSUNG 46" 16:9 2ms 1080p 240Hz LCD HDTV LN46B750 (Newegg - $1429.00)

Link - http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN46B750U1FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=features

Josh

jason str
11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
One of my friends has the Mitsubishi DLP 65" model and i have to say its the best picture i have ever seen though i don't know what sizes are available.

Lu(ky
11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Well I like Samsung but for some reason when I look at there TV's next to other ones they look bad. I was just at Costco looking at them side by side and the Sharp Aqous looks great, but the Samsung not to good. And I went to BestBuy to look at the new Samsung 55" LED TV 8 series and they did not look good to me as well. I see at newegg it gets good reviews with that model, but the price seems high to me. I am buying a Sharp Aquos 52" 120Hz tomorrow for $1299.99 I had a 46" 60Hz sold it to a friend. All I know TV are freaking expensive to me right now.. I also use a PS3/ gaming BluRay, and use is it as a second Monitor as well.

Good Luck

GTSRboy
11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
a 46" inch TV to be used with your PC? That would be terrible...

I would look into Vizio if you want to save a whole lot of money w/ the exact same picture, but the one you picked out looks good

vegettoxp
11-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Well TV being used for PC is not a final decision. I will find that out when I get the TV. But that is the Idea for now. I am not going near Sony Brand. I will never by sony brand, just past experiance. But I will look into your guys other recommendation.

Serra
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I vote for a Sony XBR9 (NOT the XBR10... the 10's have an LED backlight and I cannot get behind those yet as the blacks are still too inky) - I had the chance to compare it with that Samsung and I found the colour reproduction a more accurate. With that said, if you want to use it for gaming you may actually find the Samsung a better fit; its colour profile is designed to make colours pop and consequently action scenes make better eye candy.

I found one for $1799 at a Best Buy recently if that is within your budget.

Edit: Of course, if you're a Samsung enthusiast, then that is a big bonus for the TV you chose - TV's are, at the end of the day, highly subjective and it's important to go with something you're happy with.

Arkangyl
11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I have the Sony 46V5100 (46" LCD, 120 Hz, 1080p) and it's very nice :-) Sony does release firmware updates for their TV's (I assume all do, but still) which has added some features and corrected the only issue I had with it (auto-contrast would turn the backlight off in dark scenes making it nearly impossible to see anything, there is now an off switch for this 'feature')

Seen a few Samsung's though and they seem nice. LED backlight also looks quite slick if you have the $$$ for it (relative to CCFL it has come down in price a bit lately).

Still, my model & other 46" 1080p 120Hz screens seem to be at around $1100 these days, dunno what your overall budget is but for what it's worth I'd buy my TV again and spend the extra on an audio system over LED TV

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I vote for samsung, just dont get a 240hz model, its a waste and IMO the interpolation looks terrible.

I've got the 55" 6 series (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN55B650T1FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail) at home and its absolutely beautiful :)

vegettoxp
11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
LOL, Keep those comments coming. I have nothing against Sony, but I just don't like them anymore. (Past ExperianceI really like Samsung's TV. I know you pay big bucks. I am not saying that other TV's arn't good either, but my first choice is Samsung. Regarding my Budget, I am looking to spend no more then $1600 and the TV I picked is Perfect and is with in my price range. Anyone in here has that TV. Just wanted to get your thoughs.

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I think it would be a good move to check out the 6 series side by side with the 7, seriously 240hz is a sham and when I was comparing I actually thought the 7 series came out below the 6 just because of the wierd :banana::banana::banana::banana: the 240 did to my eyes

Donnie27
11-04-2009, 07:16 AM
LOL, Keep those comments coming. I have nothing against Sony, but I just don't like them anymore. (Past ExperianceI really like Samsung's TV. I know you pay big bucks. I am not saying that other TV's arn't good either, but my first choice is Samsung. Regarding my Budget, I am looking to spend no more then $1600 and the TV I picked is Perfect and is with in my price range. Anyone in here has that TV. Just wanted to get your thoughs.

First, go to the Home theater sites and get dependable reviews from folks who know what they're talking about. These folks will have made the real final adjustments, have the tested in the correct setting/location, something that places like Costco and Best Buy haven't.

I loved the Samsung 750 and 240Hz or even 24 movie mode can be changed or set accordingly. Cinema Mode 24 fps (5:5 Pulldown) makes movies look natural with NO ghosting or jerkiness. Some folks act like these are locked settings. Then add to that the fact that most of the highest settings only really apply to Blue Ray or DVD because nothing else sends signals higher than 1080i.

I didn't have money for the Samsung so I went with the Toshiba Regza 46XV645U (http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=46XV645U). I wish I had a 37 or 40 model to use as a computer monitor since it kicks the crap out of monitors I've seen=P It costs $999 at Best Buy and at many places on line.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136673

Another great deal!

The gaming mode isn't a gimmick, makes games look nicer. My HTPC is connected straight to my TV and I get great results with nothing more than a ATI/AMD HD-3650 using the HDMI out to the TV. It also has a DB-15 PC pin in. Picture Quality is good for general use and excellent for BD Players, I have a LG BD Player!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505217&SRCCODE=CNETFEED&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjC2WHaCjCVqHCjCdwwp

Model: KDL46V5100
Availability: Order Today, Ships Today List Price: $1,599.00
Instant Savings: - $599.01 Price: $999.99

IMHO, I vote this the deal of the year LOL!, I've set up about 4 of these and they are a steal at that price!

http://hometheaterreview.com/lcd-led-hdtv-reviews/

Has reviews of the TV's above.

vegettoxp
11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
I think it would be a good move to check out the 6 series side by side with the 7, seriously 240hz is a sham and when I was comparing I actually thought the 7 series came out below the 6 just because of the wierd :banana::banana::banana::banana: the 240 did to my eyes

Ok I check out the 6 Series and here is my choice from that "LN46B640 46" 1080p LCD HDTV." I am also loooking at the Connectivity. I need atleast 4 HDMI and LAN Port is a Big Plus. So what is your Guys opinion on this?

Regarding the Sony Recommendation, I am sorry, but I will not go new Sony. I am not happy with there product. Nothing against Sony, but I am gona stick with Samsung or any other Brand, but NO SONY.

EniGmA1987
11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I havent seen a 240Hz display yet, but I have never seen a 120Hz that I thought looked good. The motion on all of them was the worst thing I had ever seen, completely unnatural looking.When the scene switches, or someone starts moving, everything kicks in to "hyper-speed" for about half a second and then slows back down to regular speed and looks smoothe from then on. But that half second every time the scene changes complately ruins anything you watch. I have observed this effect hapenning on a 1st gen Samsung with 120Hz, a newer Samsung 120Hz ToC model, and a Sony. I have no idea on the models of any of them, but if I can see the effect hapenning on different brands and generation of the 120Hz TVs, then I dont really care about an exact model as I am probably going to notice the problem on any of them.

But then again, maybe I just see things better than most people. 2 of my friends noticed the same thing, but 4 other people couldnt understand what we were talking about at all.

vegettoxp
11-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I have been reading alot about 240Hz and 120Hz and most people recomend getting the 120Hz.

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
yeah, because nothing is ever in 240 hz so basically what the tv is doing is sticking in a dupe frame every other frame when upscaling from 120hz... its messed up even more when you have a 60hz signal and its duping each frame 4 times.

vegettoxp
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
So maybe I need to look deeply into Samsung 6 Series LN46B640 46" 1080p LCD HDTV? Everyone good with this choice?

Lu(ky
11-05-2009, 04:53 AM
So maybe I need to look deeply into Samsung 6 Series LN46B640 46" 1080p LCD HDTV? Everyone good with this choice?

Whatever TV you decide on go to Costco and look at them there and they have Samsung as well.. They have a great 90-day return policy and after the manufacture warranty runs out they cover it for another year so a total of 2 years. See attached photo..

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/11251861.jpg

[XC] leviathan18
11-05-2009, 06:14 AM
46" 7000 series or 8500 series are the best lcd led right now

Donnie27
12-10-2009, 10:49 AM

The 6 Series to get is the LN46B650 that only slightly more expensive but rates better.

crackhead2k
12-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Go for a plasma, better color, darker blacks no need to worry about hz issue, i have 4 plasmas these last 4 years, no burn ins... 1/2 hdmi ports professionally calibrated after 150-200 hrs of use... prices are about the same lcd vs plasmas I recommend going panasonic if you can.....
Burn ins only happen if you put on "full torch mode" on a static screen for like 15+ hrs but that's just plain stupid. Ive left mine normally for 4 hours, minor image retention gone in 1 minute playing normal move(not noticeable in movie unless scene is dark) Just set a blank screen after certain amount of time for your screen saver.

Samsung is 2nd to panasonic in quality a few have failed from dead caps i haven't really heard problems from panasonics<problem should be fixed by samsung now)
I would pick LG last

If you willing to spend $ go pioneer....that or you can go for the v10 series from pana
In person the color is very slightly better w/ blacks as you go up series on pana if you go 2 steps higher it will be a noticeable dif....

Used to have LCDs from samsung but coudn't stand the black lvls.....LED is overpriced and difference is minimal and almost not noticeable ..... I didn't see a difference between 120hz and 240zh either

I hope this helps.

ModernPrimitive
12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I ordered a 46" Sharp Aquos LED backlit TV a couple of months ago and love it. Sharp was about the last brand name I had considered. I could pass it up for 1297 thru Amazon. Has loads of connection etc... Mine doesn't have local dimming but I'm not sure what I'm missing as Blu Ray discs look great on it with deep blacks and bright bright whites.

Samsungs have a great rep though. Let is know what you get !

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
I've spent hundreds of hours watching a pioneer elite 60" plasma and you still can't convince me that plasma is better than LCD overall, the fine detail is just dismal quality, completely ruins it for me.

also the power consumption on plasma tv's :down:

deachus
12-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I currently own 3 Samsung LN52A650 1080p 120Hz Touch Of Color tvs and I have to say they are the best I found when I bought them last fall. I have done endless hours of research and found the 6 series Samsung to be the best at the time of my purchase. I just bought a 55" 8000series Samsung LED for my father because that's what he wanted but I tried to convince him to go with the cheaper 6 or 7 series. He wanted LED. I am ordering another 52" Samsung 6 series as well as a 46" for my newly finished bar and basement right after Christmas. I am not sold on the LED yet and can't justify the additional $1000.00 when I love my current 52" tvs and everyone that comes in my home says it is the best picture they have ever seen.

You guys can't judge picture quality by what you see at Best Buy. I have seen those TV's daisy chained together with component cables and who knows what the source is. I have Verizon FIOS HD with HDMI and a Blu Ray player and the picture is amazing.

Also, I have purchased ALL of my Samsung LCD TV's for myself, my family and my friends from http://www.abesofmaine.com

They have the lowest prices I can find, free shipping and free wall mount. They bring the tv into your home, help you take it out of the box and put it on your stand, let you plug it in to make sure everything works and isn't damaged and then you sign off on it or tell them to take it back if there is damage. Out of the 8 Samsung LCD TV's I bought from them none came damaged and all are still working great with no problems.

I love Samsung:up:

redro
12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Sharp AQUOS LC52D85U 52" LCD TV could be one of the best LCD TV (http://www.smartratings.com/electronics/plasma_and_lcds/472) in its price range. It is a full hd 120Hz 108op television that costs around 1.5k with a good rating of 74.

PaganII
12-18-2009, 02:29 AM
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16898/1/

120Hz 3D capable at least.

Donnie27
12-18-2009, 06:57 AM
I currently own 3 Samsung LN52A650 1080p 120Hz Touch Of Color tvs and I have to say they are the best I found when I bought them last fall. I have done endless hours of research and found the 6 series Samsung to be the best at the time of my purchase. I just bought a 55" 8000series Samsung LED for my father because that's what he wanted but I tried to convince him to go with the cheaper 6 or 7 series. He wanted LED. I am ordering another 52" Samsung 6 series as well as a 46" for my newly finished bar and basement right after Christmas. I am not sold on the LED yet and can't justify the additional $1000.00 when I love my current 52" tvs and everyone that comes in my home says it is the best picture they have ever seen.

You guys can't judge picture quality by what you see at Best Buy. I have seen those TV's daisy chained together with component cables and who knows what the source is. I have Verizon FIOS HD with HDMI and a Blu Ray player and the picture is amazing.

Also, I have purchased ALL of my Samsung LCD TV's for myself, my family and my friends from http://www.abesofmaine.com

They have the lowest prices I can find, free shipping and free wall mount. They bring the tv into your home, help you take it out of the box and put it on your stand, let you plug it in to make sure everything works and isn't damaged and then you sign off on it or tell them to take it back if there is damage. Out of the 8 Samsung LCD TV's I bought from them none came damaged and all are still working great with no problems.

I love Samsung:up:

I love Samsung too but not their prices:up:

I'd agree with what you said about the 650 being great, 640 not far off but the 630 isn't all that and over priced too boot. So I wouldn't go all out and say the whole six series when Sony and Toshiba's 46" models are better than the 630, both Picture and features.

They're like Bose TP Headphone in that they'd be Awesome at $89 or $99 instead of the $139 to $179 price tag. When it comes to these TV's, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every person doesn't see or hear quite the same. Many will think folks are crazy to spend that much more for small improvements. This even as others feel it is impossible to accept anything less than the Sammie 7 or 8 series or at least one of the better Sony XBR and so on. This is similar to the old CRT days when 75Hz gave some folks a headache while even 65Hz didn't bother others.

Service and dependability? None of the Name Brand sets are anymore dependable than the others. That according to two of my buds who repair them, they are repairmen by trade, they should know. One even said look for the refurbished models if you going to buy a warranty anyway. Great competition breeds better Quality Control from Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sharp and even Vizio who use to make junk!

Ethelred
12-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I've spent hundreds of hours watching a pioneer elite 60" plasma and you still can't convince me that plasma is better than LCD overall, the fine detail is just dismal quality, completely ruins it for me.

also the power consumption on plasma tv's :down:

When my wife said that I could finally purchase a new tv I went out and did tons of shopping and looking at different panels I ended up getting a plasma. Before buying it I really didn't want plasma, but I must say that I really enjoy our Samsung PN50B650. To say that the fine details on plasma is 'dismal' is kind of disingenuous, merely based on that though.

But still, I got our tv out the door for $1100 (w/BD-p1600 which kind of sucks, but still...) on Nov. 6th. I don't think LCD can beat that even with the greatest of sales.