PDA

View Full Version : Water Block issues

Odai
10-31-2009, 06:42 AM
hello,

I'm currently using the Swiftech Apogee GTZ and MCWNB Max blocks. When I had assembled my new system, there was a fault with the motherboard and I had to RMA it. I left the water cooling system intact, with the blocks loose inside the case. I used the Arctic silver Arcticlean product to clean off the thermal compounds from the blocks. I used the one labelled TIM "remover" but not the "purifier" after it, as I was not attaching the block to anything else for another week (until I got a new board).

However, yesterday, when I came to install everything, I found dark purple marks all over the base of the blocks. On the NB block they cover about 20% of it, on the CPU block it's about 50%. I don't think it's corrosion, I've never seen purple corrosion. I can't get rid of it with either of the two Arcticlean products.

Any ideas on what it could be, and how I can remove it? Will it be detrimental to the performance of the blocks?

Apologies for the lack of photos, I've been unable to get my camera to work at the moment.

Utnorris
10-31-2009, 06:47 AM
Ketchup or Brasso will remove the stains. It could be the TIM reacting to the copper. Not a big deal, just use the ketchup or Brasso to remove it.

Nashaz
10-31-2009, 06:49 AM
use some metal polish like autosol or brasso to remove it. Wipe the block clean with some dry tissue/towel after applying the polish and then use the artic cleaning compounds to remove any residual polish on the block surface. Shd do the job.

Odai
10-31-2009, 07:49 AM
hello,

Thanks for you advice guys. How long should I leave the ketchup on there for? I don't want the copper to corrode. :D

Hondacity
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
the tim remover is an active agent...never leave your block with it...

the purifier is more of an alcohol base..to clean the active agent off...

Odai
11-01-2009, 11:07 AM
hello,

So does that mean the blocks have been permanently damaged?

Caoder
11-01-2009, 11:18 AM
shouldn't be damaged.. just a thin layer has been oxidize / taken off.. shouldn't affect performance

Odai
11-01-2009, 11:21 AM
hello,

Thanks for your reply.

So would the acidic compounds in the ketchup remove the oxidation layer? If so, wouldn't it leave small "grooves" where the copper has been "removed"?

dylskee
11-01-2009, 11:34 AM
No not really, just clean it until the discoloration is gone and slap your TIM on there and you'll be good to go. Really that's what the TIM is for anyway, too fill voids.

Utnorris
11-01-2009, 11:37 AM
They layer he is talking about is so small I doubt you could see it without the use of a microscope. Take some ketchup and smear it on the entire base. Let it sit they for about 1-2 minutes and then wipe it off. Do this until the stain is gone. Brasso will take it off almost immediately if you need something quicker.

Odai
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
hello,

I've tried using the ketchup and then the Arcticlean stuff, and it's done a fantastic job on the northbridge block. However, with the CPU block, it seems to have gotten rid of a bit of the staining, but turned the rest red. I can only assume it's the ketchup inside the "grooves"/"valleys"?

I've tried everything to get it out, nothing works though. I've also tried putting a little distilled vinegar on some tissue, and wiping the block base. This does nothing either. Have I totally ruined the CPU block? :(

I'm also concerned that the corrosion will go right through the copper base. Just how thick are they?

I've tried taking photo's, but it's almost impossible to get the detail, even with a 15 second exposure.

Incidentally, the NB block base now seems to be covered in very thin small scratches. Are these OK to just ignore (I'm hoping the TIM will fill them)?

Thanks yet again,

Odai.

dejanh
11-03-2009, 08:53 PM
hello,

I've tried using the ketchup and then the Arcticlean stuff, and it's done a fantastic job on the northbridge block. However, with the CPU block, it seems to have gotten rid of a bit of the staining, but turned the rest red. I can only assume it's the ketchup inside the "grooves"/"valleys"?

I've tried everything to get it out, nothing works though. I've also tried putting a little distilled vinegar on some tissue, and wiping the block base. This does nothing either. Have I totally ruined the CPU block? :(

I'm also concerned that the corrosion will go right through the copper base. Just how thick are they?

I've tried taking photo's, but it's almost impossible to get the detail, even with a 15 second exposure.

Incidentally, the NB block base now seems to be covered in very thin small scratches. Are these OK to just ignore (I'm hoping the TIM will fill them)?

Thanks yet again,

Odai.

Try VIM...no joke... :)

Odai
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
hello,

How would TIM help? :p: