PDA

View Full Version : Rampage II Extreme blocks

Nem
10-31-2009, 04:59 AM
Hi

I've got the Rampage II Extreme and have bought the mosfet water blocks for it by EK. Coming to fit them it seems I have made a large oversight in the fact that you can't just remove the mosfet heatsinks and keep the stock cooling for the rest of the board.

Seems like I also need waterblocks for the north and south bridge chips.

Is this correct, or any other way of doing this?

I've only got a single loop for the water, with the cpu and gfx in the circuit and the mosfets also. I'm assuming adding the other board block would be too much for one loop to cope with? It's a xspc 360 rad with the swiftech mpc655 pump and EK 250 res.

Thanks.

eponymous
10-31-2009, 05:05 AM
I think it's all or nothing with the Rampage. It's similar in that respect to the P6T Deluxe v2. I'd recommend getting the NB/SB blocks rather than risk cutting into a heatpipe.

jim0ne
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Well, i have seen someone cut the heatpipe off the stock mosfet/nb/sb cooler on the R2E before. That wont really recommended since it makes the rest of the heatpipe somewhat useless. There is a gas within the heatpipes that help the cooling process. And here is some reading on heatpipes... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_13265_13295%5E13332,00.html

DeanB
11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I've cut heatpipes before with hit and miss success. I would not recommend it on the rampage 2, both because of how nice the heatpipe is that it comes with, and because having it cut will seriously diminish the effectiveness of the remaining parts which will be cooling arguably on of the most sensitive parts (the X58 chip).

affiliate13
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi

I've got the Rampage II Extreme and have bought the mosfet water blocks for it by EK. Coming to fit them it seems I have made a large oversight in the fact that you can't just remove the mosfet heatsinks and keep the stock cooling for the rest of the board.

Seems like I also need waterblocks for the north and south bridge chips.

Is this correct, or any other way of doing this?

I've only got a single loop for the water, with the cpu and gfx in the circuit and the mosfets also. I'm assuming adding the other board block would be too much for one loop to cope with? It's a xspc 360 rad with the swiftech mpc655 pump and EK 250 res.

Thanks.

Yes you need to remove the whole heat pipe.
I did this recently and installed the same EK mosfet blocks and IOH/SB block too.
The only issue is with the QPI/DRAM card, when you remove the heatpipe assembly you need to get some cooling on this and underneath it.
I think Koolance do a block that covers the NB/SB and QPI-DRAM card.
Prolly more money than you were expecting to fork out but yes it is all or nothing with the R2E i am afraid. :)

I did try a swiftech MCW-NBMAX but that was less that useless for me, it may be of use to you though. ;)

Utnorris
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah, the Swiftech NBMAX is the simplest solution and should be better than the stock cooling alone. Koolance did sell a kit with all the parts needed and you can check with Dean to see if it is still available, but it was the NB/SB block with QPI cooler and both mosfet blocks.