PDA

View Full Version : My car stereo

[XC] 2long4u
10-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Well it has a Alpine deck that is a few years old, and I could definitely use a new one. I just replaced the rear 6"x9"s. The stock ones were pioneer with a very small magnet. I put in some Kenwood 5 ways. They hit pretty hard for what they are. They are a really harsh speaker but they are very dynamic. I get distortion at the same volume level so I figure that it's the deck's fault. I'm going to get a separate amp for the 6x9's and I might bridge in a sub we'll see.

Does anyone know how much power will be sent to the 6x9's with a bridged sub in the mix?

STEvil
10-29-2009, 09:12 PM
2long4u;4085552']Well it has a Alpine deck that is a few years old, and I could definitely use a new one. I just replaced the rear 6"x9"s. The stock ones were pioneer with a very small magnet. I put in some Kenwood 5 ways. They hit pretty hard for what they are. They are a really harsh speaker but they are very dynamic. I get distortion at the same volume level so I figure that it's the deck's fault. I'm going to get a separate amp for the 6x9's and I might bridge in a sub we'll see.

Does anyone know how much power will be sent to the 6x9's with a bridged sub in the mix?

Depends on the amp/sub.

Get a 4-channel amp then you can put the 6x9's on 2 channels and the sub bridged to the other two.

D.Drona
11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Nice set up. I just recently upgraded the speakers on my car. It came with an in-dash and stock 17 year old speakers. So they were swapped out.

Lestat
11-06-2009, 06:23 PM

ha stevil beat me to it.

how are we supposed to know how much power they will get if you havent told us the RMS power rating of the amp.
you need a 4 channel amp that bridges down to 1x stereo channel. not just 2 mono channels (unless you run the right into one channel and the left into the other channel)

nauc
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
ditch the rears, put some good comps up front, sub in the rear with the amps, youll be good to go

little_scrapper
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Yea just get a decent rockford 4x100 W amp with some good 3"'s in the dash and your 6x9's in the rear. Drop a 250W amp to run a pair of 15's in the trunk. Dont forget to put silicone under your license plate and your tail light lense assemblies to deaden that god awful vibration noise that come off of every homies car you have ever stood next to while it was thumping because the homie is to freeking lazy to put on some vibration dampening.

God I hate the sound of license plate buzz every the bass hits. People are just lazy about not correcting it. Lazy, because it takes less then 10 minutes for a license plate. maybe 30 minutes for the tail light lense assembly.

STEvil
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Lestat - there are no 4 channel amplifiers that bridge down to 1 channel.

250w for a 15" sub, let alone two?? Not enough! :D

SolidGoldstein
03-13-2010, 01:11 AM
ditch the rears, put some good comps up front, sub in the rear with the amps, youll be good to go

look at this man's avatar... he knows the way. follow him.

you want something like the Hifonics ZXi60.4 +1K

here's some basic info you need: the number of Ω (ohms) of the speaker changes the power of the amp channel it's on. Every amp is rated at power for 2-ohms, 4-ohms, 8-ohms, and sometimes 1-ohm. Remember, sub amps are only for subs and subs only hooked to sub amps (or an amp with a crossover for the sub channel). These are the very basics....

little_scrapper
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Lestat - there are no 4 channel amplifiers that bridge down to 1 channel.

250w for a 15" sub, let alone two?? Not enough! :D

Hehe depends on your perspective. My two 15" rockford subs with a lowely 250W rockford amp broke the welds on my trunk lock after a few months. The vibration cracked the welds.:up:

I had to have it rewelded.

STEvil
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Dash on my truck came loose from a pair of 18's being fed 800w RMS each.. ;)

SolidGoldstein - Amp ratings can be anywhere from 0.25 ohms (old "cheater" amps) to 8 ohms. 0.5 and 1 ohm are quite common these days (two of my amps are rated at 0.5, the third big one is rated at 1).

SolidGoldstein
03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
SolidGoldstein - Amp ratings can be anywhere from 0.25 ohms (old "cheater" amps) to 8 ohms. 0.5 and 1 ohm are quite common these days (two of my amps are rated at 0.5, the third big one is rated at 1).

...and your point is ???

No need to get into the minutiae, the OP just needs to realize that the amps have several ratings / output wattage based on the other components.

EniGmA1987
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Also how the speakers are connected to the amp and/or each other will affect the power the amp can put out.

STEvil
03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
...and your point is ???

No need to get into the minutiae, the OP just needs to realize that the amps have several ratings / output wattage based on the other components.

Also how the speakers are connected to the amp and/or each other will affect the power the amp can put out.

And gain control, and box type, and impedance rise (as well as impedance dip, more technical based on number of coils and travel though).

SolidGoldstein
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
That's not the same thing, and there's really no need to get into all that in this thread.

STEvil
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
It is the same, they all influence your clip point and on weaker amps you can kill an amp with too much impedance dip.

SolidGoldstein
03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
OK - you win the intarwebs.