PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 IcyBox USB extension cable problem ?

Digz
10-28-2009, 10:40 PM
When i plug in my 2.5" USB powered IcyBox caddy into any of my computers it runs fine but as soon as i plug it in via a USB extension cable so i don't need to lean around the back of the computer it refuses to run and the caddy box LED blinks on and off which i assume means it's not getting enough USB power to spin up.

Have i been unlucky enough to buy the wrong type of cable ?

thanks

SoulsCollective
10-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Power attenuation. Nothing you can do about it, really - USB cables were not designed with the power needs of HDDs in mind. Most USB-powered HDDs make use of a double-cable to draw power from two ports - you could try one of these.

Digz
10-29-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm surprised that there is Power attenuation on a 1.8mtr lead

It's not just me as somebody else on another forum has just tried his 2.5" caddy and it works fine from a single USB socket but as soon as he added a D-Link USB extension cable it stopped working ?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/106/p1010530h.jpg

And people use them for Wi-fi dongles so the cable must carry power just fine. ?

:confused:

SoulsCollective
10-29-2009, 05:39 AM
It's a known problem. I don't know what else to say. The issue is that the resistance with plugging in an extension cable, and the added length of cable, prevents your HDD from getting sufficient juice to work properly.

As for extension cables working with other things, well, yes: they don't need as much power. Keyboards, mice, wireless adapters, etc etc, none of these require as much juice as spinning up (and keeping spinning) the mechanical platters of a conventional HDD.

Digz
10-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for explaining.

I take it my only option is a powered USB hub which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a USB powered caddy though i find it odd how the thin USB cable that comes with the HDD works and all your doing is extending it and the extension lead which is like 3 times thicker guage wire.