PDA

View Full Version : best way to hook up computer to receiver

AliG
10-28-2009, 02:47 PM
hey I'm looking to get my first legit sound system and I figured you guys know what's best.

As it is, I have a creative extreme music that I snagged for $30 shipped off the classifieds year a while ago. I ended up buying, but then returning an asus xonar d2x because of a pci_e slot malfunction.

I figured instead of wasting my time on getting a pci sound card, I might as well get a receiver so that I can get some legit loud speakers.

for the receiver, I think I'm going to buy a refurbished harmon kardon 247. That should be more than enough for my needs, and they end up on average $170 (so same price as xonar, tight budget). Any thoughts on that receiver? I should note that I am a musician myself, so sound quality is more important than volume.

More importantly, I was wondering what is the best way to connect the receiver to the computer? I could buy the i/o add on for the extreme music and connect via optical to have perhaps a bit more software control, or just go straight optical to receiver and just put the sound card in a different computer?

Thanks ahead of time, sorry these questions are so n00bish. I've been building computers since I was 12 but have never really put much thought into quality sound products before.

RAW-Raptor22
10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I just run 5.1 output (analog) from my Audigy 2 ZS to the 5.1 input on my Kenwood receiver. I use a set of three minijack out to 2x RCA cables. Good luck with your venture into real stereos. :)

trance565
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
im not sure about what board your using, but mine comes with realtek hd output (7.1) which also has an optical out. i would suggest using optical.

straight optical would probably be fine, the only control you really need is an equalizer, which im sure you can download one to effect the sound for everything, or just set it up in your media player.

and sound quality wise, i doubt your mobo has anything worse than a ps3, and honestly i think it sounds fine.

Computurd
10-28-2009, 06:17 PM
There is a multichannel cord that creative sells that will output 7.1 audio for your reciever. I bought it on their site for 12 bucks, outputs 7.1 to my onkoyo reciever. I also hooked up optical, just because i have a spare optical cord laying around. Both work well, bu the multichannel out is way better as you can isolate speakers, etc.

AliG
10-29-2009, 03:01 AM
is this what you were talking about?
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=1780&listby=

I figured that would probably give me the most control

Donnie27
10-29-2009, 06:21 AM
is this what you were talking about?
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=1780&listby=

I figured that would probably give me the most control

He's talking about this one.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=14309

Sound Blaster Home Theater Cable. It's nice but not the only thing that will work. There is a very good connection explanation on this page as well.

I have the HK 247 and the main thing about it is that it needs very Efficient speakers to work better. Use the Auto set up and then make whatever fine tuning adjustments.

Games work better in Direct analog mode on the receivers with Music being a mixed bag! I still like Old School Receivers better. I like the old school receivers Headphone out that render little can HP amps useless and their Brute force amps can't be touched.

Please note, Creative sound cards call for the speakers to be placed behind or at the rear of the listener. Normal THX--Dolby placement is to the side or about 90 degrees.

PaganII
10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I use those Creative Home Theatre cables to get 7.1 for gaming and DVD-A. Ya, when you switch from 7.1 to 5.1 using Creative it disables the side speakers.
The Harmon Kardon receivers have 2nd room feature on the rear surround amps. It is possible to use the rear channels for radio, CD etc while using the front, center and side surround for gaming but not with the way Creative disables the side speakers for 5.1 using the HT cables. You need the 3 mini to RCA cables to do that.
Have fun! It will sound great!

AliG
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
hey what do you guys think of the Marantz SR5600?

I might be able to get one real cheap because one of the optical inputs are defective (not a big issue to me, I can manage without it).

AliG
10-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I also just found an interesting craigslist deal. Someone is offering a harman kardon 154 for $65 (with no known problems). That is almost dirt cheap and the sound quality should be good. However will 30w be powerful enough for polk monitor 60s and a cs2?

PaganII
10-31-2009, 08:08 AM
It would be ok for 5.1 gaming with near field speaker setup. Better look at the back of the HK154 first to see if it has MC direct inputs. I lucked out and scored an HK245 7.1 refurb for $100 on ebay. Avoid the X35 series HK. X45s have HDMI pass thru and pre-outs.
Edit: Looks like the 154 has direct inputs.
http://www.harmankardon.com/en-US/Products/Pages/ProductList.aspx?SID=AVR
The newer models have cut back on the features of low end models. For instance, on the newest model you have to get the 3rd one up from the bottom just to get pre-outs to use external amps.

AliG
10-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Man, some deuche bag snagged the marantz at the last second from me.

It went for $81 + shipping. I would have one upped them except I didn't have enough time to rebid

AliG
11-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I bought the monitor 60s, got them for a steal, $100 a pop. I considered the monitor 70s because they have larger woofers, but the extra $200 wasn't worth it to me. I figure that money could be put towards getting a cs2 and a powered sub or a better receiver.

Scubar
11-01-2009, 12:49 PM
use SPDIF to output to your receiver, It should have better DACs than the soundcard.

Donnie27
11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I bought the monitor 60s, got them for a steal, $100 a pop. I considered the monitor 70s because they have larger woofers, but the extra $200 wasn't worth it to me. I figure that money could be put towards getting a cs2 and a powered sub or a better receiver.

Yepp, you might be right, I stopped playing with bidding kiddies a long time ago. I've mainly purchased from EBay via the Buy Only sections.

AliG
11-05-2009, 02:27 PM
The monitors came in yesterday, they ARE HUGE! I guess you don't really understand how big these things are until you've seen them up close and personal. Also the color goes great with the rest of my setup, now I'm waiting for black friday to buy a receiver.

What do you guys think of the HK avr 354? Best buy has a display model available for $400, and I'm sure I could get that down on black friday, but I'd rather not pay over $200 if the feature difference isn't much. There's one thing that kinda worries me. The 645 has the same power rating and weighs like 45 pounds, where as the 354 only weighs 30? What's going on there? Did HK decide to cheap out? If anything it should be heavier due to the better video processor

Donnie27
11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
The monitors came in yesterday, they ARE HUGE! I guess you don't really understand how big these things are until you've seen them up close and personal. Also the color goes great with the rest of my setup, now I'm waiting for black friday to buy a receiver.

What do you guys think of the HK avr 354? Best buy has a display model available for $400, and I'm sure I could get that down on black friday, but I'd rather not pay over $200 if the feature difference isn't much.

Again, I have the 245 and it gets blown away by the 354. You should be able to get the 354 for a better Price. The 245 can't pass through or support Dolby True HD or DTS HD. It can't pass through 1.3a/b or etc... while the 354 does.
I love how this works on my Pioneer 819 as well. Wherehouse Deals at Amazon has one repackages/openbox for $350 and one other going used for $298. $200 for a receiver with newer features like those mentioned above will be tuff but not impossible.

AliG
11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
how about the weight disparity? That's what I'm most concerned about. It doesn't make sense that the new model weighs a solid 10 pounds less.

Donnie27
11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
how about the weight disparity? That's what I'm most concerned about. It doesn't make sense that the new model weighs a solid 10 pounds less.

Better AMPs, as in newer more efficient technology doesn't need larger heat sinks and transformers. Compare it to some like comparing a Prescott P4 to a Penryn Core 2? Bigger and heavier isn't always the best!

AliG
11-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Of course that applies to cpus, I just wondering because a lot of people told me for receivers heavier = better quality DAC

Donnie27
11-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Of course that applies to cpus, I just wondering because a lot of people told me for receivers heavier = better quality DAC

DACs and Pre Amp does matter but weight doesn't unless we're talking about the same class of AMP. I still have an old 250 Power Supply that's heavier than my Current OCZ 700W (itself not light either). Yet the 250W PSU (Sparkle) will not power up my HTPC being power but a cheap 400W HEC.

Elmy
11-17-2009, 06:58 AM
for those of you bidding on ebay..... esnipe ? google it ... its a program that bids for you at the last second if your max bid is higher than the bid at the last min

crackhead2k
11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
A good sound card with a good amplifier(not a receiver) will sound better... I tested on my Energy RC-70s...

analog/optical would be fine unless your speakers are really good, see which sound better...

Donnie27
11-24-2009, 07:00 AM
A good sound card with a good amplifier(not a receiver) will sound better... I tested on my Energy RC-70s...

analog/optical would be fine unless your speakers are really good, see which sound better...

Not always the case! There are some great receivers on the market. The minor differences isn't worth fretting over for 99.987654321% of the folks out there. I've used receiver and AMPs with the last being a very nice Crown 2 Ch 400W. Something ***LIKE*** a Carver Power AMP plus Pre AMP is the best but using Hardware like that without some top flight Source Material is a Joke!

Source Material = High Grain Albums with a minimum priced Turn Table of $1000, Super Audio CD, 24bit 96KHz Stereo DVD Audio, or High Sample rate Live Music professionally recorded. NOTHING tickles me more than some guy or chick breaking out the 100,000 system to listen to a low budget CD-Audio Disc.:rofl:

AliG
11-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Can you provide an example of a reasonably priced amplifier?

Donnie27
11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Can you provide an example of a reasonably priced amplifier?

I like the old Carver 2 and 5 channel amps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carver-M-1-5t-Amplifier-C-1-Preamplifier-Low-Hours_W0QQitemZ350283591236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item518e876e44

I posted this before but the site went down for me!

RAW-Raptor22
11-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Not always the case! There are some great receivers on the market. The minor differences isn't worth fretting over for 99.987654321% of the folks out there. I've used receiver and AMPs with the last being a very nice Crown 2 Ch 400W. Something ***LIKE*** a Carver Power AMP plus Pre AMP is the best but using Hardware like that without some top flight Source Material is a Joke!

Source Material = High Grain Albums with a minimum priced Turn Table of $1000, Super Audio CD, 24bit 96KHz Stereo DVD Audio, or High Sample rate Live Music professionally recorded. NOTHING tickles me more than some guy or chick breaking out the 100,000 system to listen to a low budget CD-Audio Disc.:rofl:

My uncle likes listening to these through his $30000 vintage system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATLES-Mega-Rare-MFSL-Revolver-CASSETTE-TAPE-Mint_W0QQitemZ270480965626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic _Cassettes?hash=item3ef9ebfffa

He has a whole mess of them...

Donnie27
11-25-2009, 06:31 AM
My uncle likes listening to these through his $30000 vintage system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATLES-Mega-Rare-MFSL-Revolver-CASSETTE-TAPE-Mint_W0QQitemZ270480965626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic _Cassettes?hash=item3ef9ebfffa

He has a whole mess of them...

:yepp: and one of my old Army Buds has them and a very sweet Nakamici deck! Unfortunately my Pioneer CTF-1050 is down.

crackhead2k
11-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Stuff from Rotel are pretty good.... they sell AB / D class amps.
If you don't have enough power and want a cheaper solution... you can buy a brand new yamaha receiver from most major stores for around 500$ cdn anyways and bi-amp it.

AliG
11-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Dude, read the first post, I'm on a very tight budget (college student). $500 is out of the question, I'm looking for $300 or less, preferably $200 or so. That's why I'm searching ebay so much, I'd much rather get something used with a few scratches that has better internals than some cheapo sony new.

Donnie27
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Dude, read the first post, I'm on a very tight budget (college student). $500 is out of the question, I'm looking for $300 or less, preferably $200 or so. That's why I'm searching ebay so much, I'd much rather get something used with a few scratches that has better internals than some cheapo sony new.

QFT!

BatteryOperated
12-29-2009, 12:00 AM
The "best" way to connect a pc to receiver is HDMI. Through HDMI on the avr, I am able to shunt video the tv and have a plethora of sound modes from the AVR to my 7 speakers.

alpha0ne
12-29-2009, 12:57 AM

Thats the very best way to go, I hope your search for a decent budget sound is successful, some of the much older brand name amps are unbeatable for 2 channel heaven :up:

Oh and the BEST way to connect a PC to an older amp is analogue or coax/optical if the bit rate is not more than ~ 1500

Donnie27
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Thats the very best way to go, I hope your search for a decent budget sound is successful, some of the much older brand name amps are unbeatable for 2 channel heaven :up:

Oh and the BEST way to connect a PC to an older amp is analogue or coax/optical if the bit rate is not more than ~ 1500

But Ole School amps don't support Digital Input. Many Newer Receivers don't have the Brute force and some times have DACs worst than those found on the sound cards. That means most of the time, the ole school amp being feed directly from the sound card will get the best pure sound or the widest frequency.

Speakers. Also ANY speaker can be pushed by those old Integrated AMPs-Pre AMP, Receivers and Power AMPs. Simply put, they have to be heard to be believed. I've heard old school setups costing less than 1K put 6K new school ones to shame!!!