PDA

View Full Version : i need dome help! 3 red lights on 4890

D1RtY AssASS1n
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi, I hav jus tried to swap my Q6600 with a Q9550 and all went well but when I turn the system on all of the fans and M/B lights come on as normal. The 3 red lights on the back of the GFX card come on and my system doesn't beep and I get no display.
Iv tried installin da old CPU but da same thing happens.
Asus P5Q pro, 8GB OCZ Gold RAM 1033MHZ, 4890 toxic 1GB, 650W cooler master psu
Any advice or tips you can give me?

texasreefer
10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Tell you what...I have had a similar event...when my water cooling system freaked and my card blocks leaked (alll over my cards and my system) the lights on the back freaked out. I didn"t know about them until that incident, so I would probably guess the card is not happy and you shouldn't keep trying to start it up. I had a whole hell of alot of problems with my QX9650....and, absolutely no problems with the Q6600 ( which is the best Quad in the PRe I7 series IMO). THe non extreme Q series is supposed to be better, especially the Q9650, but I'll tell you the I7 920 is the new Q6600...respectively. Considering your q6600 doesn't...I think you have to reset/reload your system. The reason being that when you install a new chip, you have to change the NB chipset drivers and initial main board drivers that are usually done in the set-up procedures. There are ways of doing this, that i don't know about, but I have found that just keeping an extra, preferrebly large, and fast HD is a simple solution to back up your files and just reload windows and move your files back. That's the first thing I would try....

[XC] Oj101
10-27-2009, 09:49 PM
That can't be the case, drivers will never prevent a machine from POSTing. At that stage the hard drives haven't even initialized and you can replace them with slabs of fudge for all the difference it would make. I'm not sure about the newer cards but on the older ones the lights indicated a lack of power.

Particle
10-28-2009, 05:20 AM
This sounds like a motherboard problem, not a GPU problem. If you changed from a 65nm to a 45nm CPU and your system bricked, I think that's where you should start looking. I had the same thing happen with my DFI ICFX3200-T2R/G. I let it sit completely disconnected from all sources of power (CMOS battery & PSU) for about 45 minutes and it worked again. It didn't work prior to doing that regardless of what I did (quick unplug & replug, clear CMOS, etc did nothing).

If you get to working again with the Q6600, look for a BIOS update before trying the Q9550 again.

texasreefer
10-28-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that he had just happened to switch out the cpu when all the problems started. Then, the same problems continued when he placed the Q6600 back into the system.

EDIT - oj101 is right the chipset drivers wont prevent or cause a system lock up, but when i switched from a 65nm to 45nm chip it had the same problem, and it only resolved when i reloaded OS and reinstalled chipset and Intel drivers. Particle has a god idea also bc if you dont have to reload windows then dont.

wez
10-28-2009, 07:11 AM
3 lit LED's = power issue, no?
You didnt unplugg your PCIE power cables did you, and forgot to plug them in again? :D

If not I'd start with the old CPU plugged in, reset cmos (+unplugged and no battery) and try to boot with one stick of ram and no extra components installed (hdd, sound etc)