PDA

View Full Version : Restrictive Blocks & Coolant Question

Setix
10-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I did a search and havent found answers to these, hope you guys can help.

I'm building my first WC rig and I have my loops designed.

Main Loop:
Typhoon III w/ D5 vario
Apogee XT
BP X58 classified MOSFET Block
Koolance NB/SB block
Corsair Ice T30 Memory Cooler

I was planning on using Primochill Ice coolant and mixing half blood red and half uv red.

Will this cause clogging in a block as restrictive as the XT?
Also I've heard that some coolants will break down the o-rings in the pumps / reservoirs...is this the case with primochill coolant?

I'm open to suggestions... thanks for the help guys

jim0ne
10-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the forum. You could scrap the Corsair Ice T30. There is not much benefit to cooling your ram. If you really think you need it, you could have a fan blowing air at it and efficiently cool the ram. Have you thought about running distilled + uv red tubing (http://www.jab-tech.com/PrimoFlex-Pro-LRT-UV-Red-Tubing-1-2in.-ID-X-3-4in.-OD-pr-4117.html)?

Setix
10-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the forum. You could scrap the Corsair Ice T30. There is not much benefit to cooling your ram. If you really think you need it, you could have a fan blowing air at it and efficiently cool the ram. Have you thought about running distilled + uv red tubing (http://www.jab-tech.com/PrimoFlex-Pro-LRT-UV-Red-Tubing-1-2in.-ID-X-3-4in.-OD-pr-4117.html)?

Thanks.

Yes I have thought about that. But all the pictures I found of the red tubing under UV light was terrible. I'm definitely not a fan of the glowing orange look. I currently have the Primoflex LRT Pro clear and black tubing.

Honestly I thought the Ice T30 might lower my temps alittle due to the TEC chip. and I already have 14 fans for this rig; I was leery of adding 2 more. To clarify the fan count. I have 6 on a 120.3 in push pull mounted in the top of a Cosmos s. Another 6 on a X-Changer 360 mounted externally on the rear of the case. Plus 2 in push / pull in the HD cage.

millertime359
10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
And what are you cooling with all that?

Just use distilled water and silver. I would skip the UV light and either get red cold cathodes or Red LEDs for case lighting.

Delemon
10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Honestly I thought the Ice T30 might lower my temps alittle due to the TEC chip.

Were/are you having problems with your RAM overheating? Heck, even on my old BH-5 DDR that I had *way* overvolted, I never bothered with more than the fan that was on my SI-120 heatsink that had a 120mm fan on it.

That all seems like way more than necessary for just a CPU, mobo, and RAM. Of course, this is XS, heh.

Setix
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok heres my Rig:

x58 classified
i7 920 O.C.ed to 4.5
12 Gb Corsair Dominator GT 2k Mhz PC316000

cooled via main loop

2 GTX 295s O.C.ed

cooled via 2nd loop

I honestly could go with Distilled + Silver, and use red led's for case lighting. The only places I use clear tubing is the connections on the mother board. Everywhere else I use the black tubing so it looks cleaner.

I will say that I've been influenced by Maliks i7 Red Project...that was nice looking rig

millertime359
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, guess there is a reason for 2 360s in push/pull then.

The Primochill is a nice looking red alone and red LEDs shouldn't throw the color of the tubing with still giving som nice bling in the case. Are temps on your ram getting that bad? Its not like adding another fan or two to the memory is going to make your setup any louder than what it already is seeing you already are running 14 fans.

Setix
10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
True. Most of the time it wouldnt be not too bad since the pumps and the fans are being controlled via a Koolance TMS-200 with the expansion board...

...I know its a software controller, but I couldnt find anything that could handle the wattage I'm using.

That being said the fans and pumps wont run at 100% at least not often, so it doesnt sound like a jet all the time. Plus I've got some sound dampening material in the case..

at least I havent ordered the Ice T30 yet...you guys have given me something to think about.

Jamesrt2004
10-27-2009, 11:54 AM
you having 2 loops.. or using the 2 subloops of the T3?

Setix
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
you having 2 loops.. or using the 2 subloops of the T3?

2 separate loops.

One loop uses the T3 w/ D5 vario, PA 120.3, Apogee XT, Koolance X58 classified NB/SB block and the BP Mosfet block

The other loop uses a Alphacool DDC Pro, EK Multioption 250 and 2 Koolance gtx 295 blocks

The other two inlet/outlet on the T3 are just plugged.

millertime359
10-27-2009, 02:57 PM
2 separate loops.

One loop uses the T3 w/ D5 vario, PA 120.3, Apogee XT, Koolance X58 classified NB/SB block and the BP Mosfet block

The other loop uses a Alphacool DDC Pro, EK Multioption 250 and 2 Koolance gtx 295 blocks

The other two inlet/outlet on the T3 are just plugged.

Any reason you set it up like that?

Setix
10-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Any reason you set it up like that?

Mostly from an aesthetic standpoint with a minor interest in heat transfer.

Both the multioption 250 and the T3 can hold alot of water, which by its nature takes alot of energy to heat, thus I can maintain a lower temperature point by having more water per loop ratio.

Also on the Cosmos S there is a gap between the motherboard and the bay drives. I fit the multioption in the middle and routed all the cables underneath it, to hide them.

But mostly I've read that when cooling alot of equipment its better to use separate loops for graphics. So thus, separate loops require separate equipment.

I hope that answered your question

Conumdrum
10-28-2009, 07:11 AM
I hate to burst your bubble about having more water keeps it cooler. Even if you had a 1 gallon res the loop will stabilize in 30 minutes and will be just as warm as a loop with a Tline with less than a pint in it. So just get a nice sized res, don't think the amount of water in your standard resses will make any difference.

millertime359
10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
You have to have alot of extra water for that to work. Chances are, your like most of us and your comp either stays on permental, or for a good 8 hours at a time. The water temp will eqaulize at that point at the extra water won't matter much.

The T3 could handle everything you got there. As long as the loop is set up proper, you won't really see any temp differences between a dual loop and the T3.

I understand why you decided to go with the EK res.

I was more asking as if you wanted to do a dual loop, there is a cheaper option than running a T3 and a EK res. It would be the XSPC dual DDC bay res.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sidewindercomputers_2075_38047808