PDA

View Full Version : stoneageman...Report in soldier

DAK1640
10-24-2009, 04:33 AM
It's about time da Goose meets it's new leader...:up:

Otis11
10-24-2009, 06:40 AM
:clap: congrats Stoneageman. That's some XTREME horsepower!

Naja002
10-25-2009, 05:28 AM
:clap: congrats Stoneageman. That's some serious horsepower!

Oh, it goes way past serious....:shocked:

Otis11
10-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Oh, it goes way past serious....:shocked:

Fixed for yah! haha.

DAK1640
10-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Due to my extreme impatience, I blew away alot today installing Win7...Quite a fe projects nearing completion...but do you think I could wait.....noooooooooooooooooooo :rofl:

Naja002
10-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Due to my extreme impatience, I blew away alot today installing Win7...Quite a fe projects nearing completion...but do you think I could wait.....noooooooooooooooooooo :rofl:

Why wait? It all comes out in the wash anyway.....:up:

You too, my friend, are in that Xtreme horsepower category! :up: :up:

INFRNL
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM

did you copy the folders for boinc? If you copy and then paste back in on the new install; you will leave off where you were currently at. :shakes: :rofl:

EDIT: I want win7, but am not willing to dish out $280 on Ultimate retail, when I can find it from a member for $100 maybe. I paid 100-150 for vista, but thats about all I am willing to spend; Especially since MS BS and can only install on 1 machine.

I would go oem or update for now, but do not know if you can install as a new install like vista or if they changed it. Cannot recall which version does that either, I think update as oem goes by hardware. I just didn't like the double install deal with vista. There is some other points and info that cannot be discussed here either. I have too many machines to buy a copy for ea as well. I think MS should allow you to be able to install on at least up to 5 machines per copy. for a single family.

DAK1640
10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Agreed:up:

MikeB12
10-25-2009, 06:31 PM
EDIT: I want win7, but am not willing to dish out $280 on Ultimate retail, when I can find it from a member for $100 maybe. I paid 100-150 for vista, but thats about all I am willing to spend; Especially since MS BS and can only install on 1 machine.

I would go oem or update for now, but do not know if you can install as a new install like vista or if they changed it. Cannot recall which version does that either, I think update as oem goes by hardware. I just didn't like the double install deal with vista. There is some other points and info that cannot be discussed here either. I have too many machines to buy a copy for ea as well. I think MS should allow you to be able to install on at least up to 5 machines per copy. for a single family.

I just installed my copy yesterday, fresh install on a new partition.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754
it was $99, but since it's released it's $109...

dont worry about the oem crap. I had retail and oem copies of vista and they both worked the same way. you just did the online activation until it quit working and then when it refuses to activate online, click phone activate, call the 800 number and they'll ask you how many machines you have (SAY ONE!), and they'll give you an activation # to type in. both my oem and retail copies did that to me in vista, and I installed both on numerous machines numerous times with different hardware.. they were all my machines though. and dont use the same key to ask for activation more than once in the same month. so if you're trying to use the same key on 2 machines, make sure #2 is at least 30 days away from #1. follow those simple rules and you'll be able to use oem on any machine you want at home. if you dont follow those simple rules, then you might get your key blacklisted. like say if you were to try and activate the same key on 3 machines in the same month. :shakes: dont do that.

of course if you just want a crunching os, then I say xp is fine and dandy. that's fine for a machine where you dont need media center or dx10/11 or whatever.

Naja002
10-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Good info, Mike! :up::up:

Do you know if we still take a hit 0n 32-bit v. 64-bit (wcg)? I still have a copy of XP, but it's 32-bit....

DAK1640
10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes, 64Bit does much better than 32 bit with WCG...I know for certain.:up:

MikeB12
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I think the wcg numbers reported between 64 bit and 32 bit client were like a 10% gain... I dont think it matters in gpugrid, though I have no hard numbers... the wcg guys report about a 10% gain depending on the prject for wcg in 64 bit though.

I ran 64bit prate os xp for a while in wcg, then it fubarred. so I went back to 32 bit xp because I have some licenses for it and it's been fine ever since.

I've been through quite a few os's over the past few years though, on each machine. the only one I really plan to keep consistent now is my main desktop on win7x64 oem for media center and the tv card. and I may migrate that license to my other 2 as time goes forward. just need to wait at least 30 days between installs, and get the laziness out of my bones to reinstall everytihng on this win7 oem I have.. otherwise they are staying xp 32.

just acronis image all your machines to a usb external sata drive after install and config, and if anything ever fubars. then you have a failsafe for each one. you probably wont ever have to worry about it on a license key you own, but if you use a pirated license the danger is MS will send out a WGA update and kick the machine to reduced functionality mode. then to get it back just reimage it back and stop the wga update. you wont ever have that problem though unless you use pirated licenses. as long as you use your purchased license and dont try to abuse it it within a 30 day time period, it wont get blacklisted. that's just a nother incentive not to use the torrent versions. buy a copy and use your own and dont pass it out to people or abuse it within the same 30 day period and it wont get blacklisted.. word to the wise. MS will give you some leeway with these licenses as long as you buy them and not distribute them. only use it for your home use, and use it sparingly. that comes from personal experience, not some eula general public statement. so take it with a grain of salt.

INFRNL
10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I just installed my copy yesterday, fresh install on a new partition.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754
it was $99, but since it's released it's $109...

dont worry about the oem crap. I had retail and oem copies of vista and they both worked the same way. you just did the online activation until it quit working and then when it refuses to activate online, click phone activate, call the 800 number and they'll ask you how many machines you have (SAY ONE!), and they'll give you an activation # to type in. both my oem and retail copies did that to me in vista, and I installed both on numerous machines numerous times with different hardware.. they were all my machines though. and dont use the same key to ask for activation more than once in the same month. so if you're trying to use the same key on 2 machines, make sure #2 is at least 30 days away from #1. follow those simple rules and you'll be able to use oem on any machine you want at home. if you dont follow those simple rules, then you might get your key blacklisted. like say if you were to try and activate the same key on 3 machines in the same month. :shakes: dont do that.

of course if you just want a crunching os, then I say xp is fine and dandy. that's fine for a machine where you dont need media center or dx10/11 or whatever.

Thanks for the info. I do not want to get into all the details, but I am running Win7 Ultimate on my main rig now. There is also a member on Hard that is helping people out.

Can we run WCG and Gpugrid on linux? I have been wanting to try linux for years. Started once but did not have the time to learn. Thinking about another P55/X3440 rig on linux. Might run it for F@H like RR

123bob
10-30-2009, 07:47 AM
1. It is true that the 64 bit windows run about 10% more PPD than 32 bit. We've all run the numbers over at WCG. What impact it might have on Grid, I don't know since I went to all 64 bit before I started here.

2. For sure you can do WCG on Linux. We have lots of folks that do exactly that. I did it a few years back. I don't know about GPUGrid, but if their is no answer here, someone on WCG forum would certainly answer, or perhaps try it out on an existing Linux BOINC rig. I would think the kink for Grid might be the GPU drivers, if they don't have correct CUDA versions for Linux.

I'm going to give win7 a test drive too. I understand there is a family pack available for it now. I managed to procrastinate through the beta testing so I didn't do the free download thing. That was kind of dumb on my part....:slobber:

....And @ Stoneageman, you just plain rock, even if you don't post. :up::clap:

Regards,
Bob

PoppaGeek
10-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Linux nvidia drivers support CUDA and GPUgrid.

INFRNL
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Linux nvidia drivers support CUDA and GPUgrid.

But do we gain anything with linux/WCG/Gpugrid like on F@H :shrug:

PoppaGeek
10-31-2009, 12:28 AM
But do we gain anything with linux/WCG/Gpugrid like on F@H :shrug:

Besides free it seems Linux might require less wattage. I say might because I saw lower readings on the Killawatt on the Opterons between XP, WIN7 and Linux. When I ran Windows and Linux dual boot on a 486 a long time ago the CPU ran ALOT cooler under Linux than Windows. I read that UNIX uses a CPU command HALT. If not doing anything HALT. Windows just kept the CPU running like spinning your tires in the mud. I would have thought that more modern Windows would have fixed that but my readings suggest maybe not.

I say MAYBE because since then I have noticed the heat output of the PSUs is not always the same. Sometimes they are cool to the touch and others noticeably heated up. So I now wonder if some WUs just work the CPU a little harder.

Would be an interesting test I guess but with 4 cores it would be hard to just try and monitor, you would need to have all one project at a time and take readings for each project. Feeling a little lazy now but might take that on later.

Anyway besides price I am unaware of any advantages to Linux. It really isn't that hard to setup using Ubuntu, plenty of docs and FAQs and active support groups. There seem to be several people around here using it. Just jump in and do not expect to install it just once. If you are prepared to install it a few times you won't get frustrated if ya screw it up. Use the first 2 installs for learning and getting a feel for it. Nvidia drivers are well supported with GUI tools for stuff just like in Windows. :up:

INFRNL
10-31-2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks PG. I was reading that they claim you can still get bonus points running under 4ghz. I am @4ghz on my X3440. I have another P55 board coming back from RMA; so maybe I will build that one up again and test the whole linux thing and try to get folding running on it. Will have to start doing my homework. Thanks again