PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this experts! I can't get a straight answer anywhere

WVUEcoCarTech
10-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Ok. I've called pioneer, sony and samsung. They're all blaming each other.

Here is the setup:

PS3 via HDMI to Samsung UN55B7000

Samsung to Pioneer VSX-1015TX via Optical

Problem, receiving DD sound to receiver.

I can easily get a DD signal to the receiver from any DVD or Game and some movies via (legal :D) Torrent sites.

Some movies however only come in stereo even though when i hit the 'select' button during ps3 playback to see AAC 5.1 is being output. Pioneer automatically selects the best output, if 5.1 isnt being received it goes to stereo if not PrologicII.

Called Samsung and they tell me the TV ONLY outputs 2.1 PCM yet i receive DD sound to the receiver sometimes versus not. Keep in mind i still see 5.1 on the PS3 menu during playback but only stereo on the receiver for certain movies (from torrent sites).

It was my impression it must be a 5.1 signal to get a DD output, is that not true? If its showing 5.1 on the PS3 how can i change the settings to get it to receive DD on the receiver? I've hooked it directly to the PS3 but the sound and video is out of sync so that's not an option, there is no delay feature on the receiver according to Pioneer. Where is my problem at?

EniGmA1987
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM
The TV only sends out 2 channel audio so getting 5.1 from it is impossible. To be Dolby, it does NOT have to be 5.1. There is a Dolby Digital stereo, and stereo + sub modes.

Why not just use the optical output from the PS3 straight into the receiver?

WVUEcoCarTech
10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
The TV only sends out 2 channel audio so getting 5.1 from it is impossible. To be Dolby, it does NOT have to be 5.1. There is a Dolby Digital stereo, and stereo + sub modes.

Why not just use the optical output from the PS3 straight into the receiver?

Tv and sound are out of sync that way.

And i can assure you it is dolby 5.1 as it comes from all channels automatically. This is why i am confused.

MattiasNYC
10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Ok. I've called pioneer, sony and samsung. They're all blaming each other.

Here is the setup:

PS3 via HDMI to Samsung UN55B7000

Samsung to Pioneer VSX-1015TX via Optical

Problem, receiving DD sound to receiver.

I can easily get a DD signal to the receiver from any DVD or Game and some movies via (legal :D) Torrent sites.

Some movies however only come in stereo even though when i hit the 'select' button during ps3 playback to see AAC 5.1 is being output. Pioneer automatically selects the best output, if 5.1 isnt being received it goes to stereo if not PrologicII.

Called Samsung and they tell me the TV ONLY outputs 2.1 PCM yet i receive DD sound to the receiver sometimes versus not. Keep in mind i still see 5.1 on the PS3 menu during playback but only stereo on the receiver for certain movies (from torrent sites).

If my memory serves me correctly the DD signal is actually a coded signal onto 2 channels. It then gets decoded by a device (receiver) and the discrete signals converted to analog outputs. If this is correct, it could explain what you are experiencing.

The TV could indeed be stereo only, and would send whatever encoded signal flows through it on to the next device. So this means that if the source is a stereo DD then that's what you get. If it's 5.1 then you get that.

To check it....:

It was my impression it must be a 5.1 signal to get a DD output, is that not true? If its showing 5.1 on the PS3 how can i change the settings to get it to receive DD on the receiver? I've hooked it directly to the PS3 but the sound and video is out of sync so that's not an option, there is no delay feature on the receiver according to Pioneer. Where is my problem at?

Try a movie or game that you know has 5.1 audio and send that to the receiver directly. Don't worry about sync for now. Once you know that it plays back those 6 channels, route it through the TV. If you get the 6 channels out of the receiver still then you know that works.

Then try a movie or game that you know is stereo only. Do the same thing and see what happens.

At least that's a start....

Lestat
11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
i think you should read the manual instead of calling all these companies.
and i am floored that samsung didnt give you this answer

and i quote directly from page 14 of the manual

@ DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
Connects to a Digital Audio component such as a Home theater receiver.

When a Digital Audio System is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack: Decrease the volume of the TV
and adjust the volume level with the system’s volume control.

5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH.
When the Home Theater receiver is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is
displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a
digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) and is connected to the
TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio,
connect the digital audio out jack on DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) directly to an
Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.

there are VERY FEW tv's that actually support passthru of 5.1
why? who the fvck knows, i think its one of the most retarded a$$inine things i have ever heard of and it 100000% defeats the purpose of HDMI because you STILL need an optical or digital coax connection to your amplifier to get 5.1 or higher.

NO ONE will tell you this in the store, you need to research this for yourself.

and for you wyou paid for that tv,,, buddy,,, you deserve 5.1 passthru... but you wont get it... not via hdmi
it doesnt matter what your putting into the TV via hdmi,,, you get Stereo ONLY out.

now.. you have a larger issue and that is your audio delay when running TOSLINK to the stereo and hdmi to the tv.
this should not happen and maybe you need to change something int he PS3, mine is set for hdmi video, and toslink audio.
you should also change some of the support audio settings. try not using PCM as it sounds like your amplifier is struggling to decode things.
i dont know, i have only heard of it a few times, but on the PS3 or anything using TOSLINK you are not going ot lose anything by not using pcm, or only using some other form of 5.1.

play around you'll get it.