PDA

View Full Version : Vivitar Filters

[XC] leviathan18
10-20-2009, 11:09 AM
well yesterday i got my camera again with new lens the 50mm and the 55-250 and some other things and one of those was a sigma 55mm uv filter, sometimes im retarded and dont read the specs, now i have a 55mm UV filter i cant use because none of my lens, 18-55mm, 50mm and the 55-250mm are 55mm, so i was looking around my house (my uncle loved photography) and i found an old vivitar case with 3 filters and i dont know what the hell are for.

one says polarizing, the other says neutral density and the last one says sky light 1A filter all those work with my 50mm as they 52mm, are these any good ?

from what i read vivitar was nice in the 70~80 and these are from that time with the canon A1 and some old stuff i found with these

itznfb
10-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Not sure about the actual quality of the glass or if there is any coating or not but none of those are really general every day use filters.
The polarizing filter is probably a linear polarizer and won't work on today's lenses. Neutral Density filters reduce the amount of light coming into the lens so you're able to use lower shutter speeds. Skylight 1A is a warming filter generally not used on DSLRs since warming effects can be rendered in software; often time in camera.

Mescalamba
10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
ND will work, thats pretty much sure as long as you can attach that. :D Linear polarizer won´t, lens for digital need circular polarizes. Btw. why you ask if you can simply try it? :D

[XC] leviathan18
10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
well because, im totally new to DSLR, and there is too much to digest camera bodies, shutter speed, f stops, iso, lens, filters, flashes, sensors, etc etc etc so if people can explain me in little details as itznfb i appreciate it a lot because most of the places would give you ton of technical info i wont get :D