PDA

View Full Version : Need some network/internet advice

OldChap
10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
It occurs to me that you guys have multi machines hooked up so may be able to get me on the right track.

My current setup is cable modem > yoggie hardware security SOHO > router.

The family laptops(3) and my main rig are thus protected when connecting through the router.... this I consider important.

Also running I have a couple of machines (folding/crunching) connected to a hub which runs a single ethernet cable back to the router.

Now to the problem...the yoggie is only supposed to have 5 computer connections (but maybe shouldn't see this because of the single router connection) Thoughts on this?

If I wanted to run the crunching machines (and maybe add more) but run them unprotected, what will I need to connect between the cable modem and the yoggie so that I can connect the hub direct, bypassing the security? another router? a switch? anything else? is this at all possible?

Yep you guessed I know jack about this subject so please assume no knowledge (which is again the case)

DAK1640
10-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Hmmm...I can't believe your yoggie hardware security SOHO is any more secure than my network...Mine is cable modem>Router (properly config'd)> hubs, direct CAT6 & wireless. I have never been invaded, attacked, etc. I don't know I would pay an annual prescription for anything else.

OldChap
10-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure it does offer any better security but for a guy that knows jack about this stuff having the content limited (young kids) and in my control on 5 computers for the equivalent of £10 a year each I guess the phrase "works for me" sums it up. There is a bunch of stuff they suggest is better but I'm not qualified to comment. I guess what I'm asking is can i connect another router and what must I do to it to make this work.

PoppaGeek
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Even if you knew how how to shut down every service and port on your crunchers I still would NEVER put them on the net unprotected. I used to sit and watch the attacks on our Cisco router and they were endless.

As Dak said get a $60 firewall/router with wireless, setup wireless MAC address access list for wireless laptops and forget it. I use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190 with the open source DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) firmware. There was a guy on Ebay that sold them pre-flashed with DD-WRT at a good price. The Netgear gamer router was good but they do not seem to last more than 2 years. The Linksys and netgear gamer has faster processors and can handle alot more connections. You might not have that much going on but the linksys with DD-WRT is a powerful router/firewall that is well supported in forums if you have questions.

If you want to use the yoggie run all your PCs though a router using NAT. Anything on the other side of the router will see 1 IP#, the routers.

PoppaGeek
10-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Sorry about earlier post.

Try this. Have router between all PCs and Yoggie. Set router to use NAT and as a DHCP server, set all PCs to use DHCP. So all PCs use DHCP to get an IP# from the router and the router has 1 IP# for itself and is connected to yoggie. If the yoggie will act as a bridge then the ISP will assign the IP# to the router or use the IP# the ISP assigned you if that is the case. If the yoggie also acts as a router and not bridge the it will get it's ip from the isp and probably use DHCP to assign the router it's ip#. If that is the case then you will need to use a different sub net for the PCs. In other words if the yoggie assigns the router an ip of 192.168.1.1 then use 192.168.0.1-100 for the PCs.

If the router is between the yoggie and the PCs it will have 2 IP#s. One for the yoggie side and one for the PC side. If the yoggie is a bridge it will have no IP#. If it is routing too it will have 2 IP#s.

If this does not answer your question or I am being confusing try and find out these things.
How does yoggie or router get IP from ISP?
What make and model is router?
What IP# is router using?

Hope this is helping and not confusing things.:shrug:

Any IP#s you enter here should be like 111.222.xxx.xxx do not enter the whole complete number. This is a public forum. :up:
If concerned about giving me too much info PM me.

Good luck:up: