PDA

View Full Version : How much power?

INFRNL
10-13-2009, 10:06 PM
:ROTF: you guys have now idea.... messed up thread title

Anyway, this should be a short and sweet thread unless anyone wants to drag it on.

I thought I might be able to run my enhance 5150G( I think thats the model) to power a 920@3.8ghz, 1 hdd, 1 optical drive and 1 GTX 275. It will run it for the most part, but it must be right on the edge.

It was running fine for a day, then my son got online to play a game on the lego site and it shut down from lack of power.

So I am thinking future proof to a point. I will need to slowly upgrade a couple of psu's. I will eventually need to power 3 GTX 275's and obviously something else in the future. I guess 275's are kind of power hungry and especially when oc'd.

I think SLi helps save some power if I recall correctly, but could be wrong.

Basically I am wondering what requirements do I need to run 2 275's and minimal harware. These are all 920 rigs? :shrug:

Also how much for minimal rig with 3 275's. These are all oc'd to 1620 shaders as well. Oh I also run 4 san ace fans per rig as well or yate loons.

For the record; I have a enermax Galaxy Evo 1250: 104A I know for sure this can power at least 4 gtx 275's
Enermax Revolution 1050: 87A This can easily power 3
Antec CP-850:64A I cannot recall If I have tested this one above 2 cards:shrug:
Old OCZ 600adj: this psu has been kickin for years non stop, but only has combined 38A across 2 12v rails. So I do not even think thats enough to power 2 gtx 275's :shrug:

EDIT:Just found this on evga's site:Requirements
Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 40 Amps.)
Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles

However my 38A OCZ runs one just fine END EDIT