PDA

View Full Version : Matching Brand MB and Video Card

Locke
10-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I was wondering what you guys thought of matching the brand of Mother Board with the Video Card. I was interested in a Gigabyte p55 board and thought that getting a matching Gigabyte HD5800 card wouldn't be the worst idea.

I know in the end it doesn't make much difference, but was thinking someone might have more input on this. I would assume a Gigabyte card would run well in its own manu MB.

j33pownr
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
It is not necessary unless your going for a uniform color scheme.

texasreefer
10-14-2009, 04:11 AM
I have an Asus MB, but I would never get an ASUS videocard. To many bad experiences with ASUS vid cards. I would trust gigabyte, or MSI more in that senario. If I were you I would get the board that has the highest QPI overclockability, and the cheapest 5870 i.e. sapphire. IMO

punkrockpolak
10-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Motherboards and video cards are completely separate from each other for compatibility. Most cards are reference copies of each other so they perform exactly the same. For example, people are using the MSI bios for the 5870 on other manufacturers' 5870s. Just go with whichever card you like, I have an XFX 5870 since it's got a lifetime warranty. It works absolutely fine on both my Gigabyte p35-ds3r and Asus riie motherboards.