PDA

View Full Version : :(Please HELP, GTX 280 blow up, short circuit?

TheMiracle
10-10-2009, 06:14 AM
:(:(Hi!
I need your help, Yesterday I was installing the Accelero GTX280 in my precious GeForce, I follow all the instructions, except using the backplate from the kit, because I read that it was better the Original, so I installed everything, and the moment i pushed the Power button on my pc, it Shut down itself, And a weird smoke start coming from the GTX, so i pull it of my system, Put another board that I had, and It was all ok!, so i started looking for anything supisous in the gtx 280, but there is nothing i can see, no blown capacitors, all resistors are fine (except the posicion C403, but i believe this is the way it came) I wash it really good with alcohol IP, let it be, and try to Installed again today, but with no luck, the same thing happens, I have Installed as we speak a 9800GX2, so i know my PSU is not the problem, and I even test the GTX280 with no heatsink, for possible SC, but nothing, who can help me with this!??
Thanks!
Max.-

SoulsCollective
10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
With your knowledge, it would be really a miracle for you to find even a blown capacitor, not to speak about other things.

When smoke comes out from a videocard, judging from the complexity and different points of view, you can say BYE BYE to it. What the hell is your problem, sunshine? Thread crap somewhere else please.

Try to RMA, maybe it will help somehow.Ignoring the completely unprovoked and unnecessary trolling, this is good advice. If the VGA started smoking, take it back - even if you can't see any physical damage, you don't want to be dealing with something that's clearly broken.

Vivi
10-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Agree'd , it cant be fixed, smoke is bad!

to me it sounds that somehow it DID SC, maybe some very unlucky way something made a short circuit.

Im sure you will get the RMA. goodluck man.

TheMiracle
10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey!
thanks, where I live RMA is not an option, so I would like to know, wich are the possible reasons for this to happen, i know it must be something really quick to fix, maybe changin some components?, on tuesday, I could take it to where i work, and take a look at it on a mantis (I believe this is the name for a Digital Big glass that make things laaaarge to look at.- :))
Please if someone know how to start testing it, it would be really helpfull!
Thanks!
Max.-

billdavis
10-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey!
thanks, where I live RMA is not an option, so I would like to know, wich are the possible reasons for this to happen, i know it must be something really quick to fix, maybe changin some components?, on tuesday, I could take it to where i work, and take a look at it on a mantis (I believe this is the name for a Digital Big glass that make things laaaarge to look at.- :))
Please if someone know how to start testing it, it would be really helpfull!
Thanks!
Max.-

well, where do you live

TheMiracle
10-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Argentina!..

TheMiracle
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Noone?!, well, I tested it again this morning, and nothing, I believe it could be one of the resistance (R12A / 819 / 008), as I can smell it burn, maybe it is SC, with wich component can I replace this resistance?, i have 2 7800 AGP death too, maybe i can take something from there? :S
Thanks!
Max.-

Jamesrt2004
10-11-2009, 12:19 PM
where did you order from.. the product will still have warranty.. so email the company see what they say (dont mention changing the cooler though)

pcsky3
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
hello,idk how to deal with ur problem.

largon
10-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I believe it could be one of the resistance (R12A / 819 / 008), as I can smell it burn, maybe it is SC, with wich component can I replace this resistance?That's not a resistor, it's a power inductor and it is supposed to be "short-circuited". I'm quite sure the problem is not that part, those power inductors are pretty much indestructible. Can you post highres pics of the area where you smell something burned?

hello,idk how to deal with ur problem.
http://largon.wippiespace.com/smilies/blankstare.gif :shrug:
Lol, ok...

larrabee
10-13-2009, 10:24 AM
If you can't RMA or return, either upload some high res (and close up) pics of the board, or take it to a friend that works with circuit boards. Somewhere on your video card, a component has been completely destroyed, and needs to be replaced. Hopefully it didn't destroy anything else.

Also, make sure to look at the voltage regulators on the board. If it was in fact a short, it is probable that a component in the VRs has died.

Particle
10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't understand the RMA suggestions. He fried his card after installing a custom cooling solution. That's not a manufacturing defect.

That much aside, there is very little you can do if the card has been electrically or thermally damaged, unfortunately.