PDA

View Full Version : 4870x2 a few problems

BababooeyHTJ
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I just picked up a 4870x2 and I'm seeing crazy artifacts in the Jane Nash test. The same thing happened the last time that I used a 4870 512. I'm not sure how I fixed this. A reinstall of Vantage didn't help.

Secondly my performance in Morrowind just blows compared to the GTX280 that I was using. There is just no other way to describe it. My framerate seems to have dropped in half. Oblivion seems fine though, oddly.

I tried GPU tool to scan for artifacts in fullscreen and nothing cane up and framerates seem to be in line with what they should be although current draw was a bit low.

I am using Windows 7 x64 rtm. Should I wipe the OS and start fresh? I have heard of problems when going from Nvidia to ATI, no surprise there.

texasreefer
10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Some apps, benchmarks and games work better with nVidia, and others with ATI. Vantage, especially the Jane Nash Test, works horribly with ATi. I bet you get the most problems after the dude's shoot the box that she's on and when it falls in the water SPLASHHH......artifffactsssss...right.

Vantage is very biased towards nVidia... that brings up a whole barraige of problems centering on CUDA and Physx. So, if your only going to use one card you should probably stick to the 280 (if you still have it).

As for MOrrowind...same thing nVidia preference, or more single proccessor preference. ANd Oblivion ATi....you get the picture. No amount of reinstalling or tweaking will make a difference. Newer games are less biased, but when you have an X2 you have to remember that games with Multi-core adaptablilty are going to work better. Look at my Vantage score, it's pathetic compared to my 3dmark06 score. Hope this helps.

BababooeyHTJ
10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Actually that does help. Let me start off by saying that I don't have much experience with ATI hardware and I can't write them off from one driver. With Nvidia they can go for months with horrible driver updates but when you do find a truly stable driver everything just works. I picked up the card just to play around with since it was a good price. I asked about the reformat since on my last driver update for the 280 after I uninstalled the driver, booted into safe mode, and ran driver cleaner and CCleaner when I booted back into windows with the intention of installing the driver update I was greated by a command prompt saying "Nvidia Are you sure y/n". I have never seen that before and when I did my normal uninstall process and installed the 4870x2 when I booted into Windows I saw that same command prompt, it happened again when I uninstalled the ATI drivers. Then there are all of the people that I hear complaining about going from Nvidia to ATI without a reformat.

Anyways, I'm not a huge bencher(I shouldn't say that here) so Vantage isn't too important to me. As long as I have Spi, Wprime, and Everest I'm happy. I picked up Morrowind and started playing it for the first time. So far it wasn't my cup of tea anyways so no big loss there but I'm hoping that I don't see this type of thing with too many more apps. I need to do some more playing around.

Your right that Vantage score is way off.