PDA

View Full Version : Netbook vs Small Laptop

Gator!
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
OK so im a first year college student and before i was planning on getting the MSI GT628....but i thought about it and i figured mye eyes were getting to big for my belly so to speak...and now im thinking all i will be using it for is to use the internet type up essays.....but i still want some power behind it and i would rather use vista 7....so i know tegras offerings are coming soon what do you think my best option is and give me some examples...

zanzabar
10-07-2009, 01:26 PM
i would get the smallest acer time line

pheoxs
10-08-2009, 08:27 AM
For vista I'd say get a small laptop, even if you upgrade the ram the low speed atom processor will severely limit performance. That being said I grabbed a Asus 1005HA premium netbook up last week and absolutely love it, rated for 10.5hrs and I've been averaging 6-7 hours of usage tell it hits 30% and I recharge it. For internet usage, typing notes/essays and just general surfing, and for downloading torrents it works amazing.

SoulsCollective
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
+1 for Asus 1000 series. Brilliant little machines.

Jowy Atreides
10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
i'm running win7 with aero et all on an msi wind u90

it's a standard atom 1.6ghz netbook kit, most netbooks of this time are identical spec and it's snappy, responsive and surprisingly fast

plus most atom netbooks come with overclocking options. The bios of my wind takes it up 25% or something - fast enough for anything you would want to do on a laptop

pheoxs
10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
i'm running win7 with aero et all on an msi wind u90

it's a standard atom 1.6ghz netbook kit, most netbooks of this time are identical spec and it's snappy, responsive and surprisingly fast

plus most atom netbooks come with overclocking options. The bios of my wind takes it up 25% or something - fast enough for anything you would want to do on a laptop

Do you have 1gb or 2gb of ram? I'm meaning to upgrade to W7 RTM but gotta grab a DVD drive or write it to a flash drive I suppose, just curious before I go through the hassle and find out it runs slower than XP.

miahallen
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
The new AMD CPU is starting to show up in the netbook arena...I think it is a good compromise, especially since you could actually game (retro style) on it :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940772+1722149527&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=772&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
It's been shown to be about 20% faster than the Atom in single threaded apps, and about the same speed in multithreaded apps...theres also a dual-core version, but I haven't seen it an any retail models yet...that's what I'm holding out for ;)

shoota
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
i love my 1000he. Got two gigs of ram and snow leopard on it. averages 5-6 hrs of battery life and does everything i need it to do sans gaming. couldn't ask for much more.

grimREEFER
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
dell studio 14z from the dell outlet imo.
its a pretty small notebook.
its essentially a macbook in terms of specs.
There is a $560 build at the dell outlet with a 2.1ghz core 2 duo, nvidia 9400m, and 8 cell battery and wireless n.
plus, there are usually 15% off coupons floating around.

Frank M
10-09-2009, 03:50 AM
first year college student

all i will be using it for is to use the internet type up essays.....but i still want some power behind it

Then I recommend some of the new 11.6"-12.1"-13.3" CULV laptops.
They are small, light, and usually have quite good battery life thanks
to the CULV parts.

I'm using a similar sized and specced (11.1", 1.2GHz Core Solo ULV),
yet older (2006) Vaio, and loving it. I like the resolution (1366*768 on
11.1") but for some it might be too high and eye-straining -- in that
case, the 13.3" laptops are recommended. Also love the battery life:
while 3 years old, xp still predicts 7hrs battery life with wifi on (after
a few tweaks).

I recommend one with DC, though. While the 1.2GHz CS is faster
than the Atom, it still feels slow sometimes. It's more than enough
for office, but flash banners kill it while browsing. Also, it's just enough
for retro gaming.

There's an IMO good candidate in the Acer Timeline series, the 3810:
13.3" with CULV C2D and Ati HD4330. Many say it's much better than
the average build quality of Acer; meanwhile, it's significantly cheaper
and better-equipped than MSI's or Asus' CULV offerings.

Mads321
10-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Then I recommend some of the new 11.6"-12.1"-13.3" CULV laptops.
They are small, light, and usually have quite good battery life thanks
to the CULV parts.

I'm using a similar sized and specced (11.1", 1.2GHz Core Solo ULV),
yet older (2006) Vaio, and loving it. I like the resolution (1366*768 on
11.1") but for some it might be too high and eye-straining -- in that
case, the 13.3" laptops are recommended. Also love the battery life:
while 3 years old, xp still predicts 7hrs battery life with wifi on (after
a few tweaks).

I recommend one with DC, though. While the 1.2GHz CS is faster
than the Atom, it still feels slow sometimes. It's more than enough
for office, but flash banners kill it while browsing. Also, it's just enough
for retro gaming.

There's an IMO good candidate in the Acer Timeline series, the 3810:
13.3" with CULV C2D and Ati HD4330. Many say it's much better than
the average build quality of Acer; meanwhile, it's significantly cheaper
and better-equipped than MSI's or Asus' CULV offerings.

+ 1 for the Timeline. It's like a cheap Mac really. 13.3" is the perfect size (Apple got it right the first time). In Europe there's a Timeline 3810TZ model, which has Intel SU 4100 CPU and Intel GMA 4500 MHD, which combined gives an estimeted (more on this further down) as much as 9-10 hours of school-work on battery.

I just got mine yesterday at 8 in the morning. Charged it for an hour, unplugged it, went around showing friends the inside of my apartment, and the computer in the mirror over MSN, (webcam, wireless), then i uninstalled like 30 games and apps (literally), that's forced on by default by acer. Then i got around to instaling office, and steam (CoD 2 it runs on low settings + everything on the HL-engine, stuff like CS:S and my favorite StarCraft as well). I did also install CoD5, just to see that it would be like to bring it to it knees - it was ugly.

At 22:00 in the evening it was still going strong, though i did leave it to slumber a few hours while out shopping.

I'm going back to school in January, and I can't really think of anything else in the pricerange that offers all the things Acer has put into the Timeline.

I'm also getting the logitech V550. I could have gotten a bluetooth mouse instead, and thus not having to use a USB-port for the tiny dongle, but the V550 comes with a clip-on so you can easly go from one classroom to another, w/o dropping it on the floor.

More goodies like the Samsonite Aramon Laptop Sleeve S, and the Jabra Halo bluetooth headset, would make it a perfect set (I know what I want for christmas).

http://peecee.dk/uploads/102009/set1.jpg

Frank M
10-11-2009, 06:57 AM
In Europe there's a Timeline 3810TZ model, which has Intel SU 4100 CPU and Intel GMA 4500 MHD

(CoD 2 it runs on low settings + everything on the HL-engine, stuff like CS:S and my favorite StarCraft as well). I did also install CoD5, just to see that it would be like to bring it to it knees - it was ugly.

Well then, why didn't you get the one with the HD4330 if you game on
it, as well :p: IIRC, the discrete graphics can be turned off to save power.

ddemetrius456
11-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Dell Studio 14 is the best option. even Acer have come up with a new product with 8hrs of battery backup and is ultra thin. Check these out.

Bobsama
11-23-2009, 08:53 AM
11.6" Acer Aspire Timeline
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115647

gasiads09
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I told you this is another thread please just contain it to one thread.
You are only authorized to use it on one computer either your laptop or your home computer. If you would like to use it on both you have to use two different vip accounts and buy vip again.

VVJ
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Gator!
student, don't waste yer time! Just buy a netbook and have fun!