PDA

View Full Version : Hybird Crossfire question?

IronWarrior
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
If a motherboard supports Hybrid Crossfire, does that also include CrossfireX?

Would you be able to install two GPU's and run them as CFX?

I'm trying to work out why a motherboard would have two PCI-E x16 slots but only supports Hybrid Crossfire?

texasreefer
10-06-2009, 04:08 AM
???????????? any board that supports Crossfire......Supports Crossfire, be it, hybrid or not. Hybrid crossfire is an extra feature that only newer cards support e.g. being able to run a 4890 with a 4870, or a 4870 X2 with a 4870/4850. Also, it would help to know what board you are talking about, since you are talking about 2 pcies @16x, i'll assume its a x38 or x48 chipset. YOu should be able to run crossfire just fine.

IronWarrior
10-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Well, for example this bored here, the Asus M4A785TD-M EVO: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A785TD-M-EVO#ProductFeatures

It has a tick for Hybrid Crossfire but not for Crossfire and the manual for this board as well as many others I have read that only list Hybrid Crossfire support, never lists native CrossfireX support.

So if a motherboard supports Hyrid Crossfire, that also includes CrossfireX.

geofrancis
10-06-2009, 05:32 AM
by hybrid crossfire it means you can crossfire a low end hd4350 or hd 4550 with the integrated hd 4200 in the chipset to get better performance than either one on its own

IronWarrior
10-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Yeah I understand what Hybrid Crossfire is, thanks.

demonkevy666
10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
If a motherboard supports Hybrid Crossfire, does that also include CrossfireX?

Would you be able to install two GPU's and run them as CFX?

I'm trying to work out why a motherboard would have two PCI-E x16 slots but only supports Hybrid Crossfire?

do you mean a lone without the IGP or with the IGP in crossfire X ?

texasreefer
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
yeah, ironwarrior, this board only does hybrid crossfire, but it is mearly a selling point. i have never seen a AMD 785 chipset, but if you notice it only has one pcie 16x lane. the only way to hybrid crossfire is by using the pcie 1x lane. So with this board you cannot crossfire because it only has one 16x lane. Interesting find.

Gonzalo-Gonads
10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
yeah, ironwarrior, this board only does hybrid crossfire, but it is mearly a selling point. i have never seen a AMD 785 chipset, but if you notice it only has one pcie 16x lane. the only way to hybrid crossfire is by using the pcie 1x lane. So with this board you cannot crossfire because it only has one 16x lane. Interesting find.

*cries* please read before you post.... And @texasreefer If it's an AMD chipset with two pcie X16 slots you most probably have crossfire capabilities.

IronWarrior
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
do you mean a lone without the IGP or with the IGP in crossfire X ?

I mean, two GPU's in CrossfireX, IGP disabled.

Oops, I didn't check the board correctly, have a look at the Gigabyte GA MA785GT UD3H

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigabyte-GA-MA785GT-UD3H-AMD-785G-AM3-DDR3-1066-1333-1800-SATA-3Gb-s-RAID-ATX-VGA

It has two PCI-E at x16 but in the specifications, it only has a tick against Hyrid Crossfire and not Crossfire, so does that mean that you can't install two GPU's of the same type for example, two 4850s (example) and have them setup in CFX?

I looked at the Wiki and the AMD page about Hybrid Crossfire but can't find anything that it also supports Crossfire, I find it weird that they add Hybrid Crossfire to a board but can't support Crossfire?

texasreefer
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
YEah, on this board only one PCIE slot runs at a full 16x, the other one runs at 4x. I don't know if that would be considered hybrid crossfire, but the bandwidth on the second card would definetly be hindered. I'm more than sure that two of the same cards will work, but the performance may not equal a board that has two PCIE 16x slots.

Oh yeah, and Gonads (what were you thinking when you made that name) you should probably have more than 13 posts before you start talking trash.

Linuxfan
10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Why do you want crossfire if one of your mobo's slots is 4x? That would cut the performance of the second card...
What graphics card do you have now? You could grab a 5870, they are pretty powerful... :D

IronWarrior
10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm just asking questions to learn more, just want to know if Hybrid Crossfire/X can work as normal CrossfireX.

demonkevy666
10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm just asking questions to learn more, just want to know if Hybrid Crossfire/X can work as normal CrossfireX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics

yes it works as normal crossfire also can work with two discrete and IGP, in triple mode.

I was wonder my self about what I said.

texasreefer
10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Ironwarrior, do you already have an AMD processor?

IronWarrior
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics

yes it works as normal crossfire also can work with two discrete and IGP, in triple mode.

I was wonder my self about what I said.

Ah thank you, that is what I wanted to know so much. :)

Ironwarrior, do you already have an AMD processor?

Yes.