PDA

View Full Version : Bios recovery occurs frequently..

scottsee
10-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm using a PSU that isn't offically supported by Foxconn; The OCZ StealthxStream 700. I've been getting frequent "Warrning! Bios recovery occured" (twice a week). I'm running Bios v6, Simple i7-920 overclock + 80vcore + 60 vvt that passed prime95 17hours and LinX ar 20 passes ALL.

I reboot, hit the Bios, load my current oc, reboot and all is good. Any help?

saaya
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
dont turn off your psu at night or when you dont use the pc anymore?
dont shut down your pc at all and use S3/S4 instead? no idea how much power this consumes though... depending on the psus efficiency it should only be around 10W i think?

r1ch
10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Can also be if you're using slightly low VTT - try a step or two higher, even though it's stable once you're in Windows, the initial target value can overshoot and/or get over compensated and undershoot on boot.

Update to P09 as well, much better than 6 :up:

scottsee
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Humm. It's happend with 2 of my power supplies so I'm thinking it's not associated with the PSU. I never use the power switch on the back of my psu, just the case power. You think the VTT would trip the overclock recovery when I'm not overclocking my mem and I'm allready +60 vvt? Even when I'm oveclocking 4.5ghz+ I have never encounterd this this error, It's only occurs when the pc has been powerd off overnight and starting from a cold boot.. I suppose upping the vvt won't hurt, I'll look into it a little further and try that as an option, thanks..

r1ch
10-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Humm. It's happend with 2 of my power supplies so I'm thinking it's not associated with the PSU. I never use the power switch on the back of my psu, just the case power. You think the VTT would trip the overclock recovery when I'm not overclocking my mem and I'm allready +60 vvt? Even when I'm oveclocking 4.5ghz+ I have never encounterd this this error, It's only occurs when the pc has been powerd off overnight and starting from a cold boot.. I suppose upping the vvt won't hurt, I'll look into it a little further and try that as an option, thanks..

It's helped a few guys, so worth a try :)

BIOS update though, P09 is good :up:

saaya
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
are you cutting power to the whole system at night?
do you have power outages in your area?
is the bios battery alright?

and yes, if your settings work for a warm boot, they might not work for a cold boot.
and even if they work for a cold boot, they might not work for a REAL cold boot (drained caps, cpu and chipset at room temps)

PiLsY
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I get similar symptoms if vtt is slightly too low or vtt:vddr ratio is slightly wrong, just to confirm what r1ch is saying. Try a single step of vddr first, if that doesnt help add a step of vtt and drop your vddr back down. Could be something else but this is really easy to check :).

You can check if youre close to the limit of your vtt:vddr ratio quite easily when youve got a high cpu clock on. Just increase your vddr by 0.1v and see if it posts. If you get to the post screen you're still in range. If you get a no post then you're close to the limit. I find if i'm within 0.05vddr of a no post situation I start getting increasingly evident random instabilities in windows in prime + linx.