PDA

View Full Version : Solid cap failure in a non-stressed NV card.

XmikeX
10-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Low-wattage low-temp vid card (NV8400GS), no mods, no OC, pci-e bus at stock speeds, only used for 8 months in a well-ventilated case. PSU and Mobo check out fine.

and yet.. this happens :

http://starbase.globalpc.net/~xmx/EVGA_solid_cap_failure.JPG

Any theories?

I've got an obvious one. -> There appears to be an empty space for another cap so maybe some marketroid told the engineers to cut a few cents off and they figured they could get away with one less cap. Plausible?

Core logic seems to work, card just can't output properly. Time for some recapping... =)

XmX

El Greco
10-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Low-wattage low-temp

Low this..low that..maybe low quality product?? ( it does not matter that it is a evga product ...companes never dispose of weak components...they use them to build weak products) .. I had a palit 7300GS with the same problem of yours dead after 1 year used in a office/internet PC... i have a palit 275 now...the quality difference between the two cards is big..

(Sorry , bad english)

XmikeX
10-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Where's Master_of_the_Obvious.jpg or Captain_Obvious.jpg when you need it? :(

XmX

DragoonXX
10-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I have one friend who had a 7300GT to begin with, the card literally blew to bits...2 blown caps, a blown choke (it literally came OFF the card), heatsink fan warped so it couldn't spin
replaced it with a palit 3850 (I think), works fine now...he's still getting some odd issues with WoW now and again, but I havn't had time to do some more real checks

Cheffy
10-11-2009, 01:57 AM
i am pretty sure that those are not solid caps, since they have the relief vent on the casing - they look like unwrapped electrolytic caps.
good luck recapping

saaya
10-11-2009, 02:14 AM
actually... hes right...
only electrolyte caps have those slits in them where the cap should blow, IF it blows, so direct the explosion away from other components...
solid caps dont have any slits like that, do they?