PDA

View Full Version : Your next GPU

PoppaGeek
10-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Yes yours, I cannot afford it I am sure. But 3x performance in GPUGrid than 285.:eek:

It is likely to be at least 3 times faster than a GTX285 for GPUGRID.
We will probably compile specifically for it with multiple application versions, so that people can use the maximum of performance.

gdf

shadowwind
10-03-2009, 03:41 AM
my next card will not be a gtx 300 so when it comes out i will get a gtx 295 or the gtx 285. Pops buy the cards you can afford.:up: and stop reading that junk posted over on the grid good lord how many people quit the grid when the 260s started crashing and went to other projects.

Chumbucket843
10-03-2009, 05:23 AM
the cache is why.http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI1NDM1MDgzM3RHa3EwSHBHQWhfMV8xN V9sLmpwZw== i dont know if i can afford it though.

shadowwind
10-03-2009, 05:46 AM
i guess we got to wait and see what the real world price tag is going to be on the 300.we know its going to be over priced when it is released.:shocked:for me i would rather put my money into a socket f istandbul and rack up the points in WCG or use it for the big work units on f@h seems to me that would be the better bang for my bucks.:up:

Chumbucket843
10-03-2009, 08:47 AM
i will probably end up buying a gtx 360. the gtx380 will cost too much. i can only hope for the 5870x2 to pull ahead of the gtx380. that would lead to some aggressive price wars.

INFRNL
10-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Will have to wait for prices before I decide. I will more than likely try to buy a GTX300 series card and see how it does. If it produces a heel of a lot more than the gtx 275's, I might switch over, or wait for gtx 275's to hit around the $100 mark; if that will ever happen.

I have enough for WCG for now, unless I try to do linux and F@H like Roadrunner. By nex weekend, I will have 40 cores running WCG 32 from 920's and 8 from xeon Lynfield.

shadowwind
10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
i hope you do try out linux INFRNL, on the big wu like RR is doing, im thinking its a lot cheaper on power usage than the gpu is, from what im am reading on power usage the 300 is going to be a killer when it comes time to pay the electric bill.
:D not sure about your wife but i know my wife will think its a good thing if i can use all cpu power instead of the both of gpu and cpu. and still make decent PPD.:up:

PoppaGeek
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
my next card will not be a gtx 300 so when it comes out i will get a gtx 295 or the gtx 285. Pops buy the cards you can afford.:up: and stop reading that junk posted over on the grid good lord how many people quit the grid when the 260s started crashing and went to other projects.

GDF, the one who posted that is
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project scientist

And being one who has had his share of problems with the grid I can also say I have had my share of problems with F@H. The nice thing if ya get mad at one project ya just go to the other until they make ya mad and ya come back.:rofl:

Why I have 2 GTX 260 that run the Grid perfectly when so many others still have problems I dunno but if I did it might help them figure it out.

I like the grid well enough. When it works it is like WCG in that it requires little maintenance. F@H is far more temperamental, just cause it works today means nothing about tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Chumbucket843
10-03-2009, 03:49 PM
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2094/g300cache.jpg
cache is mostly beneficial to gpgpu and some things in graphics.

lol you are talking about DC projects like they are pets, PG. i have never been able to run gpugrid successfully. i got through 7 hours of a packet and i woke up and saw that it failed. every once and a while i try and get it to work but no luck so far. f@h works fine 50% of the time. maybe gpu3 will help.

PoppaGeek
10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
cache is mostly beneficial to gpgpu and some things in graphics.

lol you are talking about DC projects like they are pets, PG. i have never been able to run gpugrid successfully. i got through 7 hours of a packet and i woke up and saw that it failed. every once and a while i try and get it to work but no luck so far. f@h works fine 50% of the time. maybe gpu3 will help.

You must not treat your pets very nicely then. :shrug:

shadowwind
10-03-2009, 06:38 PM
im aware who GDF is my friend. just wish he posted numbers or charts with his post as far as know most of the numbers and benches are still being with held from the public so i can wait for the retail version to see what it is really going to do.:up:

thanks chumbucket for the chart :up:

PoppaGeek
10-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Will have to wait for prices before I decide. I will more than likely try to buy a GTX300 series card and see how it does. If it produces a heel of a lot more than the gtx 275's, I might switch over, or wait for gtx 275's to hit around the $100 mark; if that will ever happen.

I have enough for WCG for now, unless I try to do linux and F@H like Roadrunner. By nex weekend, I will have 40 cores running WCG 32 from 920's and 8 from xeon Lynfield.

Agreed but I doubt it will be 3x the price of a 275 or 285. Since it will have cache and GDF said he would likely program to take advantage of the GT300 features I simply meant this card could do alot of work for less cards, electricity or money.

Whether this card proves to be a winner or not it is going to drive down prices of older cards and should be good news for DC.

PoppaGeek
10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
im aware who GDF is my friend. just wish he posted numbers or charts with his post as far as know most of the numbers and benches are still being with held from the public so i can wait for the retail version to see what it is really going to do.:up:

thanks chumbucket for the chart :up:

There are many things I wish they did like some FAQs that had some info in them. But I get the real impression that they have a staff of about 2. How many times do you see the project scientist posting the forums in other projects? GDF does daily pretty much. I have also never seen him talk down to people. They do not have the big sponsors F@H has. They do not have an IBM to back them. It is a small project with limited resources, where they have to ask for donations to pay salary.

F@H can piss off half their people and keep going. They will always do fine and I hope they do. But GPUGrid is a small project with a small staff and like naja has said they are doing some real pioneer work for Boinc projects. I have just some to the conclusion that to participate in GPU DC projects ya gotta expect trouble and problems and things will not be perfect.

WCG is targeted at a mostly novice participant and therefore a more conservative approach is taken. GPU is not not so much for a novice. Even F@H can take some skill and knowledge that WCG does not. So WCG is going to be easier.

Do whatever project ya like and enjoy. They are all deserving. GPUGrid may be rough in places but so is F@H at times. If they can get 3x the data from a single card then I think that card sounds interesting. All speculation but I am willing to bet GDF knows what he is talking about alot more than the kids arguing over which card will play Cyrsis better.

Chumbucket843
10-03-2009, 07:26 PM
^^nice words of wisdom. they do have some sponsors like sony, and i was reading on their site that its main supporters are a hospital,2 universities, and a scientific park and its publicly funded. one of the threads asked for help in making a viewer type graphic for gpugrid. thats how little $ they have. you can just look at F@H's home page and see all of the sponsors. its a win win for companies and projects so maybe it will become more popular in the future and have more sponsors.

You must not treat your pets very nicely then. :shrug:

my bad, that totally came out wrong. now that i read that it makes no sense anymore.

Otis11
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I saw in the NIVIDIA section that the first GTX 300 was priced at $399. Idk if it's true, but it should outperform a GTX 295 right? and that would be 2 285s? I expect it would outperform those too...

INFRNL
10-04-2009, 12:01 AM
i hope you do try out linux INFRNL, on the big wu like RR is doing, im thinking its a lot cheaper on power usage than the gpu is, from what im am reading on power usage the 300 is going to be a killer when it comes time to pay the electric bill.
:D not sure about your wife but i know my wife will think its a good thing if i can use all cpu power instead of the both of gpu and cpu. and still make decent PPD.:up:

My wife is already yelling at me:ROTF:

I also thought that 300series was supposed to be more electric friendly than 200 series:shrug:

I saw in the NIVIDIA section that the first GTX 300 was priced at $399. Idk if it's true, but it should outperform a GTX 295 right? and that would be 2 285s? I expect it would outperform those too...

If they are this much, I will definately pass. Can build a couple new rigs and run F@H instead. I do not go above $200 per card and I hate doing that

PoppaGeek
10-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Agreed but I doubt it will be 3x the price of a 275 or 285. Since it will have cache and GDF said he would likely program to take advantage of the GT300 features I simply meant this card could do alot of work for less cards, electricity or money.

Whether this card proves to be a winner or not it is going to drive down prices of older cards and should be good news for DC.

On second thought they could. GDF thought they might be 20% more than a 295. That is about $600. If the price of the 275 or285 drops to around $200 then I would be wrong.

Anyway I just thought what GDF said was interesting. I was not trying to predict anything, I have no idea what will happen.

Otis11
10-04-2009, 06:46 AM
My wife is already yelling at me:ROTF:

I also thought that 300series was supposed to be more electric friendly than 200 series:shrug:

If they are this much, I will definately pass. Can build a couple new rigs and run F@H instead. I do not go above $200 per card and I hate doing that

That's exactly how I am... I just have to wait till it drops into the $150-200 range. Hopefully it doesn't take to long.

Chumbucket843
10-05-2009, 05:14 PM
is anyone holding out for 28nm like me? i would expect it to be 4x faster than my current gpu. it should arrive in a year if TSMC doesnt screw up like they did on 40nm. i would expect 5-6 billion transistors on one of those chips. gf100 will only have a measly 3 billion and current gen only has 1.4 billion.:clap: