PDA

View Full Version : Mobile: GT 230M or GTX 260M ? CUDA Only!!

LUCI5R
10-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Ave,

This Question is for folks who know about CUDA.
I want to know if there is a "Drastic" difference between a GT 230M and a GTX 260M in terms of there CUDA Performance only? Please note that my comparison has nothing to do with Gaming and neither of these cards will be used for Gaming. However, they will be used for CUDA Power (Encoding, Calculations, etc.).

I'm quite certain that the GTX would perform better then GT, but my question is, how "significant" is that difference?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a choice between two notebooks. One comes with the GT 230M and the other with the GTX 260M. Not only is the latter notebook very significantly more expensive, it's also missing a couple of two important features which I can get in the GT 230M notebook.

If the CUDA performance between these two cards is not significant, I will go with the GT 230M notebook; However if the difference is quite drastic, I will have to think about this.

Thanks Guys!!!

Otis11
10-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I can't speak for the 230, but I have a 260 in my laptop. It's a great card and I've never maxed it out on anything except GPUGrid, but if you're planning on doing a DC project on it, think again. It does not have it's own fan so running at 100% it gets way to hot. Just a note. Hope this helps!

LUCI5R
10-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks.

Any other inputs? Especially regarding CUDA performance?