PDA

View Full Version : Auzentech HomeTheater HD or Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe?

nirvana_1911
09-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Which card I should buy, and why?

Auzentech HomeTheater HD or Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe?

I listen to music most of the time, also do a fair bit of gaming.

I don't find myself watching movies that often, although I do watch.

I'm interested in one of the above cards to plug into a Yamaha 7.1 receiver and into a B&W 686 which I'll get shortly.

Thanks.

EniGmA1987
09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Heard bad things about the Asus. Doesnt seem to work very well.

nirvana_1911
09-30-2009, 06:22 AM
What bad things do you hear?
Driver issues?
EAX and surround sound gaming issues?

Mescalamba
09-30-2009, 07:21 AM
ASUS dont have EAX.. they have GX 2.0 .. which is SW that tries to use EAX and emulate that.. I canīt say its bad.. it sounds quite good if you use headphones. But its not comparable to EAX 5.0..

Iīve recently had three soundcards from ASUS.. only Xonar Essence STX can be considered as good soundcard. If you donīt mind not having EAX as gamer (on other hand, its not that important).

One of them was HDAV 1.3 Slim .. overall not bad card, but that pass-trough HDMI worked only for two days, than I wasnīt able to get it working again.. no clue why. Sound was nice, crisp.. but somewhat lacked bass, it has bass crossover, but it doesnīt help much.. I guess they wanted to have very good and clear highs and mids.. (cause movies needs such things), and therefore they sacrificed bass. But, I didnīt had that full Deluxe version.. so it can differ. Tough, both are native PCI not PCIe.

I didnīt have Auzentech HT HD, so I canīt say it will be better, but on other hand I have X-Fi Forte 7.1 which is probably best sound card I ever had..

Auzentech HT HD is native PCIe soundcard. It has very high quality capacitors on board. Its able to play BR. Has probably same or similar headphone amp as X-Fi Forte.. and thats really great thing. And cause it have Creative chip on board, its EAX 5.0 capable.. yea and it will work in Windows 7 without problem I guess (my card works 100% under Windows 7).

If its that good as X-Fi Forte .. than theres no reason to buy something else.

nirvana_1911
10-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks Mascalamba.
It looks like I'll be getting the Auzentech HomeTheaterHD then.
Apparently the Xonar D2X and Essence STX are supposed to be really good - but two-channel stereo only.

ROBSCIX
10-01-2009, 05:56 AM
The STX is only two channle as it was aimed at the stereo and headphones crowds it would seem. There is the Essence ST which is coming to the market which is a PCI version of the STX but has improved clocking circuitry and a pin header which allows you to connect up a extension card for 7.1 surround sound audio.
If your a hardcore gamer as you sugegst you are then the HTHD is the one for you as it has better gaming support then your other choice.

jalyst
03-20-2010, 11:38 PM
does hdav or hometheater hd have dd/dts 5.1 decode for s/pdif-in?

AmiJIm
07-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi there,
the auzetech uses a x-fi ic while asus uses the xonar.
Among audiophiles ,asus xonar is a winner for a much clearer sound and dx or ds support 7,1 as d2.There used to be drivers problems with the asus ,but they were fewer than with creatives were auzetech drivers are based.

Donnie27
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi there,
Among audiophiles ,asus xonar is a winner for a much clearer sound and dx or ds support 7,1 as d2.There used to be drivers problems with the asus ,but they were fewer than with creatives were auzetech drivers are based.

I don't think Audiophiles use computers or sound cards:rofl:

Tigris STI
07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Xonar HDAV 1.3 here - so far so good :up:

schlafmuetze
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh Baby if you would know:ROTF:

jalyst
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi there,

If you're attempting to answer my Qn then I think you've missed the mark.
But thanks for trying! ;)
Doesn't matter anyway, I've since learned that neither have dd/dts 5.1 decode for s/pdif-in.

jalyst
07-27-2010, 08:44 PM

You would be wrong then...
I've seen some very knowledgeable people in the audio field use Essence ST/X etc.
And not just use, but mod them even more towards perfection.

Donnie27
07-30-2010, 06:06 AM
To the OP, get whichever card that can decode True HD and supports HDMI 1.3a, not merely 1.3. That'd be Auzentech.

You would be wrong then...
I've seen some very knowledgeable people in the audio field use Essence ST/X etc.
And not just use, but mod them even more towards perfection.

Do you guys understand WTF the ":rofl:" means? It was a Joke.

Oh Baby if you would know

Yes, as if you would know better LOL!

schlafmuetze
07-31-2010, 08:55 AM
To the OP, get whichever card that can decode True HD and supports HDMI 1.3a, not merely 1.3. That'd be Auzentech.

Do you guys understand WTF the ":rofl:" means? It was a Joke.

Yes, as if you would know better LOL!

Oh Donnie i do i do

Donnie27
08-01-2010, 03:02 PM
oh donnie i do i do

rrriiiighhhtt!

turtletrax
08-09-2010, 03:06 AM
I have the Auzen HomeTheater HD and have loved it so far. Have used it on my Pioneer SC-05 and used it analog with my Klipch 5.1 U's and has performed admirably.

I have had many modded sound cards and find this one among the best I have heard and you also get true EAX 5 support. Also it is nice to get solid digital and analog support. I originally bought it for pass-through of True HD and DTS Master but then ATI got it working well with the 5 series cards so I moved it to my main rig and used the decoding abilities to get HD codecs to work with my analog speakers.

All in all, a very versatile card with great reliability and comes with just about everything you would need to get going in a jiff. I had a Xonar D2X and really did not like the drivers or the software to drive it. Cant speak for the HDAV1.3 tho.

Donnie27
08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I have the Auzen HomeTheater HD and have loved it so far. Have used it on my Pioneer SC-05 and used it analog with my Klipch 5.1 U's and has performed admirably.

I have had many modded sound cards and find this one among the best I have heard and you also get true EAX 5 support. Also it is nice to get solid digital and analog support. I originally bought it for pass-through of True HD and DTS Master but then ATI got it working well with the 5 series cards so I moved it to my main rig and used the decoding abilities to get HD codecs to work with my analog speakers.

All in all, a very versatile card with great reliability and comes with just about everything you would need to get going in a jiff. I had a Xonar D2X and really did not like the drivers or the software to drive it. Cant speak for the HDAV1.3 tho.

Bold = Often over looked value, software or as some misguided folks call it, bloatware.

My ref for Hi-Fi is that I lived in the PX-BX Audio Club. They sold Crown, Carver, Macintosh, Phase Linear, Nakamichi, Akai, Rotel, and many others. Their Speakers included Electrovoice, B&O, B&W, Boston, AR, Klipsch (all models), JBL and most others. Every mid-ranged as well, like the excellent HPM 100 and 150:) Back in that time period, Fisher, Janzen and others made nice stuff as well. I still have a lot of my Equipment from 1981 and Sold my 1977 model Quadraphonic Marantz when I left for the Army that year.

I'm 53 and have built speakers since I was 12 LOL Too much Snake Oil in this industry. Too many are still into EPenos and or bragging rights! There are Audiophiles, then there are Audiophools who think they're Audiophiles. Oh and unlike Germans, I know because I was stationed there for 4 years and my wife is visiting mom there right now, I can crank mine in my Home and bother NO ONE!:clap:

jalyst
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
What is your point exactly?
Are you still trying to "poo-poo" enthusiasts who use modded sound-cards/power etc?
Just not getting the point of your most recent post, no flame intended.

Night.

Donnie27
08-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Are you still trying to "poo-poo" enthusiasts who use modded sound-cards etc?

night.

Meant what I said and wasn't trying to flame anyone. In fact, the flamebaiting was amid my way or did you miss the post?

""Oh Baby if you would know"""" why no comments on that? Look, if the shoe fits, wear it!

I listen to music most of the time, also do a fair bit of gaming.Auzentech HomeTheater HD or Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe?

Games sound better on X-Fi=P

jalyst
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Meant what I said and wasn't trying to flame anyone.

I wasn't saying you were but i still don't get the point of your post.
What were you trying to say in a nutshell? :confused:

Hell Hound
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
48-Track HDR with the Features of a Computer-Based DAW
NOTE: Monitor, keyboard, and mouse not included.

If you thought that stand-alone digital multitrack HDR recorders were going away, think again. Tascam, the makers of the first multitrack recorders for the serious project studio, have managed to break new ground with a tried and true concept: Introducing the Tascam X-48! Tascam's new X-48 is the world's first stand-alone 48-track Hybrid Hard Disk Workstation. The Tascam X-48 integrates the best of both worlds: the stability and ease-of-use of a purpose-built hard disk recorder, with the GUI, editing features and plug-in compatibility of a computer-based digital audio workstation.

Tascam X-48 at a Glance:

* 48-track digital recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit,
* AAF export for compatibility with workstations like Pro Tools
* Natively reads/writes Broadcast Wave audio files
* 3rd party plug-in compatibility.
* Built-in, automated 48-channel digital mixer, VGA display output.

48-track Digital Recording
The Tascam X-48 boasts 96kHz/24-bit recording across all 48 tracks. Its file compatibility and synchronization surpass even the TEC Award-winning MX-2424, with AAF export export and native Broadcast Wave audio files for compatibility with workstations like Pro Tools. Support for FireWire hard drives and Gigabit Ethernet allows simple transfer between systems, making it the ultimate multitrack solution for high-quality music, post and live recording applications.

48-channel Digital Mixer
Tascam's X-48 goes beyond mere stand-alone recorders - its built-in, automated 48-channel digital mixer, VGA display output, powerful editing functions and DVD+RW backup drive transform the Tascam X-48 into a complete integrated workstation.

Tascam X-48 Rear Panel Connections:

* (48) TDIF Digital Inputs and Outputs.
* Stereo S/PDIF In and Out.
* (2) 24-channel option slots support analog,ADAT or AES/EBU expansion cards.
* BNC Video In and Thru, auto-terminating.
* BNC Word Clock In, Out and Thru, auto-terminating.
* MIDI In and Out.
* TRS balanced W" SMPTE In and Out.
* 1/4" Footswitch Input.
* RS-422 (Sony 9-pin) Remote Input, also supports the RC-2424 remote.
* PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard Inputs.
* VGA Output.
* Gigabit Ethernet for drive sharing.
* (4) USB ports for external hard drive support.
* (2) FireWire ports for external hard drive expansion.

X-FI or Tascam X-48 ;)

If not using live instruments then pc is just as capable.

jalyst
08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
what's this post got to do with the intent/focus of this thread?

Mescalamba
08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I would personaly trust Auzentech. Did that since Forte and they havent let me down. Had ST/STX and HDAV for testing. First needs different OPAMPs (and then its probably same or better than Auzie cards) second has perfect highs - mids, but bass is.. well there isnt any. Plus tested system worked like for 2 days, after that HDMI simply ceased to show picture or play sound.. I guess it was cause drivers.

Though, I must say I liked that sound, much more pleasant to ears than ST and such.. Just those bass was kinda missing.

jalyst
08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
You like Forte more than the ST?? Each to his own I guess.....

Most "audiophiles" I've listened to or reviews I've read, have said the ST is the best from a SQ perspective etc.
X-Fi based cards are still handy for the odd game that relies heavily on EAX, but as EAX is a dying format...

I agree the HometheatreHD may be a better choice than the HDAV, but they're cards with a different focus/utility.
It's a close call on balance I'd say though....

Mescalamba
08-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Yup I like it more, but it could be cause headphones. Each headphones react different to each sound card (or sound system). ST sounded clear, nice .. and like tin can. :D Probably perfect for techno. Definetly not for me.

Forte has natural sound.. not exactly best, but still good. Bravura is waaaay better than both. In fact best from all soundcards I had. Though, I still have for example Creative Audigy 2 ZS, amazing soundcard with right drivers..

jalyst
08-11-2010, 05:33 AM
I do find that to be quite remarkable given the body of evidence out there, but each to his own. :)

Hell Hound
08-11-2010, 06:33 AM

Are you still trying to "poo-poo" enthusiasts who use modded sound-cards/power etc?

X-FI or Tascam X-48

If not using live instruments then pc is just as capable.

what's this post got to do with the intent/focus of this thread?
Pfft :rolleyes:

jalyst
08-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Cool story bro! ;)

I've no need for these sort of cards any-more.
And the debate seems to be swinging wildly to/from that focus anyway.
So I'm unsubscribing, happy debating peoples.

Donnie27
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Cool story bro! ;)

I've no need for these sort of cards any-more.
And the debate seems to be swinging wildly to/from that focus anyway.
So I'm unsubscribing, happy debating peoples.

Hey, Don't let the door hit ya!

Donnie27
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Yup I like it more, but it could be cause headphones. Each headphones react different to each sound card (or sound system). ST sounded clear, nice .. and like tin can. :D Probably perfect for techno. Definetly not for me.

Forte has natural sound.. not exactly best, but still good. Bravura is waaaay better than both. In fact best from all soundcards I had. Though, I still have for example Creative Audigy 2 ZS, amazing soundcard with right drivers..

QFT!

And what you're saying isn't uncommon at all. The problem is that Squeaky wheel always gets to the oil!
HTPC= Auzentech Prelude Vista 32bit MCE
My Rig = X-Fi Platinum Vista 64bit
Wife's Rig = Audigy 2Z Windows XP 32bit

I have tried and didn't bother keep most of the Zonars and stuck with what I have.

To HH,
Audiophile playing back sounds has little to do with recordings and the Computer is just one part even then.:up: I saw what Stax and Sun Records used in the 70" LOL! No computers to be seen when Elvis at Sun or Booker T and the MG's at Stax made all those great sounds:)

sianhan
11-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I have the Auzentech HomeTheater HD hooked up to a Denon 3808 7:1 with B&W MT30 speakers and PV1 sub and the sound quality is amazing really happy.I listen to music, watch films and game all with great sound.You can pick between 3 settings on the sound card
1. entertainment mode for highest quality films and music playback experience.
2. game mode powerful game audio processing solution.
3. audio creation for recording, mixing and composing.

I normally keep it on the first setting
The drivers for this sound card are solid no problems used it with vista ultimate 64 bit.now with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit for movies win 7 is easier by a margin.
If you want to ask me any more Q's feel free

Donnie27
11-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I have the Auzentech HomeTheater HD hooked up to a Denon 3808 7:1 with B&W MT30 speakers and PV1 sub and the sound quality is amazing really happy.I listen to music, watch films and game all with great sound.You can pick between 3 settings on the sound card

1. entertainment mode for highest quality films and music playback experience.
2. game mode powerful game audio processing solution.
3. audio creation for recording, mixing and composing.

I normally keep it on the first setting
The drivers for this sound card are solid no problems used it with vista ultimate 64 bit.now with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit for movies win 7 is easier by a margin.
If you want to ask me any more Q's feel free

Sweet setup:up: