PDA

View Full Version : I need an explanation!!!!

antipop
11-30-2003, 09:15 AM
I got fed up with my sluggish comp and some driver problems i had (nvidia is not what it used to be). So i decided to reinstall windows (no format, just delete the old windows and reinstall it)
I did it yesterday and i was dl'ing some files for the comp (drivers, patches, ...). My internet speed was great (i dl'ed the drivers from nvidia @2MB/s) and on the speed test i got over the 2Mb barrier

However today, i've the worst internet ever!!!! I can't go over 100KB/sec on the net and when i tried to dl the same drivers from nvidia, i dl'ed them @ 30KB/sec. I don't know what happened between yesterday and today but i'm pretty sure it comes from my comp cause i had the same problems before reinstalling windows. I had some virus yesterday but i made a scan and my comp is clean.

I'm using the network card on the mobo, can the problem come from it? I reinstalled the drivers today and that didn't helped
I really don't know what to do!

Ulfar
12-01-2003, 05:51 AM
well.... i find it somewhat hard to believe that you downloaded @ 2MB/s (Megabytes), mabye you were reffering to Mb (Megabits per second) , off a nvidia server.

But, next time you format windows dont install the drivers, but instead wait a couple of days, and uptade the drivers one by one, to see witch one it is.

Also the slow down can occur because of heavy traffic on your side of the cable or theirs.

antipop
12-01-2003, 06:36 AM
No i dl @2MB/sec (bytes not bit). I'm on a 100Mb lan on the uni campus and the uni has a 1Gb/s connection to the net so the dl can be very fast
As i said i don't think it's from the heavy traffic cause it's the same problem as before reinstalling windows
I'll try with a pci nic to see if that changes something

Ulfar
12-02-2003, 05:43 AM
if the nic dosent work, then it must be the drivers, like I said before install the drivers and patches one by one, and see witch one it is.

antipop
12-02-2003, 06:29 AM
I already spend a day reinstalling windows and all the soft and i need my comp atm
I'm using the nic on the mobo and i'll try a pci nic before looking for something else

Smizack
12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Replace the cat5.

antipop
12-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Would that be where the problem comes from?
It's not one of mine but one that i borrowed so i don't know if it's a good quality
I've tried 3 different drivers for the nic and none helped

ps on a 100Mb lan, what is an average dl speed? (not internet but locally)

Tedinde
12-02-2003, 05:32 PM
No i dl @2MB/sec (bytes not bit). I'm on a 100Mb lan on the uni campus and the uni has a 1Gb/s connection to the net so the dl can be very fast

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

sweet!!!!

antipop
12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tedinde
:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

sweet!!!! I know but i got this only for a few hours the next day i was slower than a 56k!!!!

Smizack
12-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by antipop
Would that be where the problem comes from?
It's not one of mine but one that i borrowed so i don't know if it's a good quality
I've tried 3 different drivers for the nic and none helped

ps on a 100Mb lan, what is an average dl speed? (not internet but locally)

Depends on the network setup. On my home lan, I usually top out at about 95mb, but average is around 70 because I usally have a lot of traffic.

It could be half duplex cat, got a break in a wire, or if you're talking about something that is HDD intensive, that coud be the problem. Most older servers have big, but slow drives.

And when you install a new driver make sure to delete the old one first, or it's probably reverting (at least partly) to the old one.

Smizack
12-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by antipop
I know but i got this only for a few hours the next day i was slower than a 56k!!!!

You gotta remember other traffic my man. If you're on a big lan it's gonna bottleneck like no other when there's a lot of people on it.

I worked at a call center that had the equivelant of like 15 t1's. And it was all setup for a lot of people not speed, but when 150 people are all browing at the same time it seemed like dial-up.

NWEng
12-02-2003, 09:45 PM
The times I've seen degradation on a switched connection it's almost always layer 1 issues:
1. bad cable
2. bad NIC
3. bad connection at the switch
4. bad switch port
5. incorrect negotiation/port speed/duplex

It can even be a bad connection upstream from you or a VLAN routing issue. However, I've very rarely seen a "bad driver" cause this type of problem. Try another NIC like you've already planned, if this doesn't work you may need to call the network operations team. They should be at least able to tell you whether or not you're taking errors (most commonly runts and/or FSC) on your local switch port.

:cool:

antipop
12-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Smizack
Depends on the network setup. On my home lan, I usually top out at about 95mb, but average is around 70 because I usally have a lot of traffic.

It could be half duplex cat, got a break in a wire, or if you're talking about something that is HDD intensive, that coud be the problem. Most older servers have big, but slow drives.

And when you install a new driver make sure to delete the old one first, or it's probably reverting (at least partly) to the old one. I'm connecting to the other computer in the school through ftp
I understand that there can be a bottleneck but i've dl'ed winrar for a friend on his comp and the dl was around 900KB/s but when i tried on my comp to test, the fastest was 30KB/s
Last year i was on a 10Mb network and it was faster than now (same school)
I haven't seen any difference no matter what time i use the connection (even at 4am!!)

Ulfar
12-04-2003, 06:36 AM
well... i highly doubt that its the cable... because he would not be able to go on at all if it was bad or he would have a slow down all the time.

My other suggestion is to trace google, and check the pings. See where the slow down is. If its inside the network you will know that you have to address the issue to the system admins. But if its slow right out of the box, then its probably the comp.

Try it and post the trace route of google.

antipop
12-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Here's the result
I'll do another try late tonight to be sure that no one is using the network

antipop
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
I think i've a clue about what's going wrong
Tonight i dl'ed DAP (download accelerator) and the same file from the same website is dl'ed @20KB/s max with IE6 whereas with DAP i can dl it at over a 100KB/s!!!
I think something is wrong wih IE, i'll try uninstalling it to see if that solves the problem

Ulfar
12-08-2003, 05:54 AM
hrm... thats really wierd with the timed out error.... Dont uninstall IE, you will fkc up your comp if you do, get a different browser like mozilla or opera to test it out. But now i see that it might be your cable from the drop to the comp, try to replace it and see what happens.

antipop
12-08-2003, 06:57 AM
10x ulfar, i'll try first to check if it's a hard problem by first switching cable and then the nic
If that doesn't solve i'll try another browser or go back to IE 5.0 (if that's possible)