PDA

View Full Version : ATi has problems with some DX10 titles at 1080p?

DilTech
09-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Some people may already have discovered this, but no news site has posted this issue...

When playing on a 1080p HDTV via HDMI with DX10 the 4xxx series reverts to 1080i when you select 1920x1080 as the resolution. It's unknown to me as of yet whether it occurs with all DX10 titles or just some, but it definitely occurs with the following...

Gears of War - PC
Stalker: Clear Sky
Bioshock

Crysis works fine though.

Some games work fine, but some don't. I'd like for anyone with any DX10 or higher ATi card to test various DX10 games to see if this happens to them as well. I'm assuming if you can change the refresh rate in game you can fix the issue.

To verify if it's happening to you, have your TV tell you the resolution it is running at after you start the game. If it says 1080i, the game you're playing is effected.

Also, yes, this is news as other than a few forums there's never been any talk about this situation ever. I'd like to verify if it effects HD2xxx, 3xxx, and 5xxx series cards as well.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=98024&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Here's a thread talking about it on AMD's forum, incase anyone thinks it's just me. :up:

Also, it CAN be fixed, but it'll take some help by those who know how to edit ATi drivers to remove support for 1080i altogether, as it's apparently caused by DX10 titles automatically reverting to the first 1080 resolution found, which in the driver is 1080i. Anyone down to help take on the project?

Manicdan
09-29-2009, 05:53 AM
how long has this been going on?

i noticed with my new drivers i had issues trying to play with the overscan of my hdtv, and wonder if its an issue with 9.9 cats and display detection.

DilTech
09-29-2009, 05:58 AM
No one knows for sure, it goes back quite some time apparently though. People use to think it was just ATi's under-scanning, but now it turns out it's switching to 1080i.

We need more people to test to see how widespread the problem is! Hopefully if it gets enough attention AMD will fix it permanently.

Helloworld_98
09-29-2009, 05:59 AM
how long has this been going on?

i noticed with my new drivers i had issues trying to play with the overscan of my hdtv, and wonder if its an issue with 9.9 cats and display detection.

the first post in the linked thread was posted in July so that knocks out the 9.9 theory, I think 9.6 was the current driver then.

Manicdan
09-29-2009, 06:05 AM
i can vouch WoW in windowed mode works just fine

Rock&Roll
09-29-2009, 06:58 AM
No offense to the OP, this really isn't news. When I had my 4870 a year ago, I had this same issue. For some reason, ATI's handling of TV's and TV resolutions is pretty assed up.

DilTech
09-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Considering most people don't even know about it, and people DO want to know these things when they buy hardware, that very much makes it news. Especially with 24" 1080p lcd monitors being so cheap now... Yes, I've heard it occurs on some of those too.

Remember, the more attention a bug gets, the more likely it is to be fixed.

drizzt5
09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
This is news to me. Thanks!

ATI also has a problem rendering CS:S correctly in dx9... sometimes causing obstructions to what you can see. This can be solved by putting in a start up or console command to change the game to dx8.1 or lower. The problem is that in Vista, you crash on de_nuke for some reason when running in anything but dx9. In XP/Win7 RTM it works fine.

This is a different problem though :)

hennyo
09-29-2009, 07:51 AM
This is good to know, I want to know if it effects the 5 series cards because I was considering getting one here soon and my main screen for playing video games on right now is my 52" 1080p TV.

highoctane
09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
I was having this problem with my family room htpc with a 4850 and a 52" lcd. I thought it was the TV screwing it up since it automatically selects modes based on input signal and I didn't think the video card would run 1080i unless I specified it in the CCC.

I don't know why it never dawned on my that the video card might have been the problem!! :doh:

jaredpace
09-29-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know why, but after reading your reply, I tried to add modes under "HDTV Support" that I had already listed:

Add 1080i30 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)

Add 1080p60 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)

Add 1080p24 format to the Display Manager(HD)

Which resulted in 24hz, 29i, 30i, 59hz, 60hz listed under my refresh rates. Now everything under DX10 is working! Well DMC4 DX10 only works if I select 59hz under 1920x1080 resolution, but all other games properly detect 1080p now. I would have never guessed to try this if it wasn't for your reply. Thanks again.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=98024&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Hello! I have my PC connected to Philips FullHD LCD TV . The video is Radeon 4870 1GB. Yesterday I have installed Resident Evil 5 and Red Faction and I was very disappointed from the fact that both DirectX 10 games are runing at 1080i (interlaced) mode instead of 1080p (1920x1080@60hz). I have read all the posts of other users which have the same annoying problem. I would buy an Nvidia graphic card if I knew earlier about it. Shame...

I installed yesterday Catalyst 9.9 and at the HDTV menu I added support for 1080p@24,50,60 Hz. After that I started Resident Evil 5 at DirectX 10 mode and I got finaly 1080p full screen picture with maximum settings, perfect playable !!! phew...what a relief
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=98024&STARTPAGE=6&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear&#lastunread

DilTech
09-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Jared, that only works with some TVs... The issue is, for a lot of people, that sticks them with 1080p24, which means if the refresh rate in game can't be changed(gears of war, for example) they're stuck with a refresh rate of 24. Most nice 1080p TV's support 1080p24 because 1080p60 can have slight jitters with HD movies, because it leads to a split in frames when sync'ing to the TV(every other frame is displayed twice IIRC).

Basically, the game selects the first 1080 mode it sees, and on the list it's 1080i.

DilTech
09-29-2009, 08:59 AM
That's odd...

Crysis is the one that works PERFECTLY for me, while the others don't. Also, none of this happened ever on my 8800GTX. No dx10 game at 1920x1080p ever had an issue on that card.

The fact that no reviewer, nor news site, has ever made mention of the issue is blatant neglect though, guess it never occurred to them that people do use tvs for monitors.

:::this message is in reply to lowfat below, he deleted his initial post:::

lowfat
09-29-2009, 08:59 AM
No offense to the OP, this really isn't news. When I had my 4870 a year ago, I had this same issue. For some reason, ATI's handling of TV's and TV resolutions is pretty assed up.
Yup. Has been happening since the beginning of DX10 w/ ATI cards AFAIK.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=98024&STARTPAGE=6&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear&#lastunread

Interesting. I've love to see someone fire up Crysis w/ the Cat 9.9's to see if the issue still remains. I played Crysis enough for me to actually move away from a 1080p display to a 16:10 monitor.

eric66
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
hmm interesting but this should have directed to officials

Calmatory
09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
That's odd...

Crysis is the one that works PERFECTLY for me, while the others don't. Also, none of this happened ever on my 8800GTX. No dx10 game at 1920x1080p ever had an issue on that card.

What are you trying to imply there? :ROTF:

Besides, this is old news. :clap:

DilTech
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
The post under the post you quoted was who that was in reply to. lowfat posted and then deleted his post, then reposted it and added another quote. He said the same thing occurs on NVidia cards, which I know for a fact doesn't, so I pointed that out to him.

Also, how is something old news when it's never been reported on any news site? A few forums have spoke on it, but it's NEVER been posted on a news site, thus it cannot be classified as "old news". This is important for a lot of people, and it IS an issue that DOES effect people with said cards. As such, THEY deserve to know. What's so wrong with that? I sure wish I had known about it before I bought this card, now it's too late...

jaredpace
09-29-2009, 09:40 AM
So Diltech, what happens when you try that solution with your ati driver + hdtv? Also the thread you linked other posters say it happens on nvidia cards too...

Hell Hound
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
If you go to force HDTV it say's 1920x1080p,so did you try that.It seem's like one would try to trouble shoot before making a thread about a feature that doesn't work that clearly does.:D

DilTech
09-29-2009, 09:46 AM
So Diltech, what happens when you try that solution with your ati driver + hdtv? Also the thread you linked other posters say it happens on nvidia cards too...

Nothing, still sticks to 1080i(although it reverts to 1080p24 on my other TV, which is even worse as that's a refresh rate of 24). I know the cause of it, if I can find a way to remove 1080i support entirely from the driver then it'll stick to 1080p. Just a matter of figuring out how to do so as I'm not too familiar with the actual hacking of ATi's drivers.

If you go to force HDTV it say's 1920x1080p,so did you try that.It seem's like one would try to trouble shoot before making a thread about a feature that doesn't work that clearly does.:D

I tried that, there's a long list of things I tried on EOCF actually before I finally realized it's DX10 games with the problem. You can also check Guru3d as well as AMD's forum and you'll find that I've been trying to get someone to help with the aforementioned driver hack.

I even sat on the phone with AMD asking for assistance, and they told me that they'll put in a support ticket...

This is good to know, I want to know if it effects the 5 series cards because I was considering getting one here soon and my main screen for playing video games on right now is my 52" 1080p TV.

I've got someone with a 5870 who's going to test as soon as he gets the chance to hook it up to his TV. I'll keep things updated.

lowfat
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
The post under the post you quoted was who that was in reply to. lowfat posted and then deleted his post, then reposted it and added another quote. He said the same thing occurs on NVidia cards, which I know for a fact doesn't, so I pointed that out to him.

Well it would happen w/ my GTX295. I moved from 2 HD4870's to the GTX295 for this reason. An when when playing Crysis it would always run @ 1080p24. So I had to run the game with a -dx9 switch in order to get 60Hz. Moved to HD4980's and the issue still remained. :shrug:

Pontos
09-29-2009, 10:51 AM
One of the video reviews out there for the HD5870 showed a Blu-ray movie played with PowerDVD on a TV through HDMI (Both sound and video from the ATI card) at 1080i much to the surprise of the reviewer...
It's not limited to games only it seems.

In case you're wondering, the review in question was about the support for the HD5xxx series to send drm protected DTS-HD and TrueHD streams through the HDMI out, unlike with previous cards where the stream needs to be decoded on the PC and then sent as PCM.

Ursus
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Considering most people don't even know about it, and people DO want to know these things when they buy hardware, that very much makes it news. Especially with 24" 1080p lcd monitors being so cheap now... Yes, I've heard it occurs on some of those too.

So can we make news posts about all bugs we find with nvidia and ati drivers?
:down:

Clairvoyant129
09-29-2009, 01:17 PM

There are people having genuine problems and the more attention bugs get, more quickly it is solved.

hennyo
09-29-2009, 01:24 PM
One of the video reviews out there for the HD5870 showed a Blu-ray movie played with PowerDVD on a TV through HDMI (Both sound and video from the ATI card) at 1080i much to the surprise of the reviewer...
It's not limited to games only it seems.

In case you're wondering, the review in question was about the support for the HD5xxx series to send drm protected DTS-HD and TrueHD streams through the HDMI out, unlike with previous cards where the stream needs to be decoded on the PC and then sent as PCM.

Where was this review, this was another big reason I was considering getting a 5 series ATI card, because it would save me a two hundred something audio card?

zanzabar
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Jared, that only works with some TVs... The issue is, for a lot of people, that sticks them with 1080p24, which means if the refresh rate in game can't be changed(gears of war, for example) they're stuck with a refresh rate of 24. Most nice 1080p TV's support 1080p24 because 1080p60 can have slight jitters with HD movies, because it leads to a split in frames when sync'ing to the TV(every other frame is displayed twice IIRC).

Basically, the game selects the first 1080 mode it sees, and on the list it's 1080i.

so your blaming ati for having the game programed wrong, if u set the launch option to "-refresh xx" were u set it to the native refresh (im guessing its 59)

if u have a refresh of over 60 then u have to add that to alot of games, but tvs work the same.

and for source they coded the game wrong, u can look at the map file for nuke they set the lighting wrong and never fixed it but u dont see it on NV since the driver forces dx8

DilTech
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM

There's a difference between a driver bug and a major issue that hasn't been touched on by news sites but effects so many and SHOULD be noticed by the people.

This isn't pointed out in any driver release notes, in ATi/AMD's knowledge base, on ANY review site, or on any news site. This NEEDS to be seen, so pressure will be on AMD to fix it. It's not as minuscule as AA not working properly in a game, or a few textures rendering incorrectly, this is a case of people with 1080p monitors and tv's having to deal with a 1080i picture because AMD/ATi didn't bother to test it... Meanwhile they even include a HDMI adapter(and even made a huge deal of that fact) with their cards to make it easier TO use your HDTV.

Without it being brought to major attention, more people will buy these cards and try to do exactly what I do, only to find out they're stuck with an inferior picture. This was my first ATi card since the 9800pro, and if I had known about this I would never have gotten it, and many others feel the same way if you check AMD's forums, or many other forums as well.

I mean, if this was a NVidia problem, you and several others would be yelling to burn them at the stake, but since it's ATi you instead say it's not news. It's been a problem for over a YEAR, it's news by now.

so your blaming ati for having the game programed wrong, if u set the launch option to "-refresh xx" were u set it to the native refresh (im guessing its 59)

if u have a refresh of over 60 then u have to add that to alot of games, but tvs work the same.

and for source they coded the game wrong, u can look at the map file for nuke they set the lighting wrong and never fixed it but u dont see it on NV since the driver forces dx8

I'm not blaming ATi for a game being improperly coded, the problem is how their driver interacts with DX10 in the first place. That's why when you run these games in DX9 it works fine, but in DX10 the issue occurs.

Also, many games do not allow you to change the refresh rate... Just for the record.

This is a major issue, and it needs to be fixed. No need to try and down play it just because it affects ATi instead of NVidia.

AbelJemka
09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
In my book a major issue is touched by news sites.
In your it seems a major issue is when it's touched you....
Please post a news when you solve the problem, you will probably save the life of all ATI users ;)

gumballguy
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
To me, this IS news. I'm all for it being posted. It's a major stuffup, not some stupid little CS bug on a particular map.

It would make me think twice about ATI as having spent $3k on a tv I'm bloody well going to use it at its max rez (1080p) when I build my new pc soon! If ATI can't do that, their loss, nvidia's win.

Thanks for creating this thread. Sorry I can't provide much help.

DilTech
09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
To me, this IS news. I'm all for it being posted. It's a major stuffup, not some stupid little CS bug on a particular map.

It would make me think twice about ATI as having spent $3k on a tv I'm bloody well going to use it at its max rez (1080p) when I build my new pc soon! If ATI can't do that, their loss, nvidia's win.

I'm glad someone else is interested... I'm going to send out this info to as many major sites tomorrow as I can, to hopefully get this more attention so ATi/AMD take it a LOT more seriously.

To anyone on here who run hardware sites(HW-Canucks for example), could you do me a favor a post this up? It's easily verifiable, and the more exposure the faster we'll have our answer. :up:

zanzabar
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM

maybe u should compain to the TV maker if this happens they should have made the tv accept a full 60hrz signal. and adding a launch option isnt hard.

i havnt seen this at all and ive built and installed HD tvs and HTPCs, i have had to set 59hrz as a launch option affter getting a black screen on ati and NV cards but ive never seen a tv change modes to 1080i. but if it prevents a launch to a black screen that seams like a pro

also why are u playing games at 1080 except for the new samsung series 6 and others like it there is a huge input lagg and no visible difference from 720p

tdream
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Where was this review, this was another big reason I was considering getting a 5 series ATI card, because it would save me a two hundred something audio card?

It's from the anandtech review (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=10), pretty worrying that it's been going on for so long and hasn't been fixed. I was hoping to do 1080p out to my tv too.

Clairvoyant129
09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Only people who think this isn't a relevant issue are users who prefer AMD/ATI, no surprises there. :rolleyes:

jstutman
09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Well its not "assed" up completly, all ATI video cards with hdmi built in, can render the games at 1080p without downsampling to 1080i. However, how many people with a computer monitor can notice the difference between 1080p and i?

villa1n
09-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Now is this an HDMI issue only, as my monitor (Dell 24in 1080p) and my tv 47 in version (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lh30/4505-6482_7-33561696.html) dont seem to suffer from this. But I am using DVI-d connections and not hdmi. Is that the problem? Only difference i notice is that my TV has more input lag/latency than my 24in, lol which i m sure is to be expected, I dont use it for gaming though, just switch outputs for movies in the media room, but crysis, bioshock demo, assasin creed no problem . :shrug:
Could it be brand specific as well, Nobody has posted their model of hdtv, or year... and if everyone is using the hdmi outputs?
Oh my gfx are xfired Sapphire + MSI 4870 1gb's

DilTech
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
It's HDMI afaik, My TV is a Panasonic 42" PZ77u. No input lag what-so-ever, but definitely suffers the issue of switching to 1080i.

villa1n
09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
It's HDMI afaik, My TV is a Panasonic 42" PZ77u. No input lag what-so-ever, but definitely suffers the issue of switching to 1080i.

Ahh ok, haha and i think my input lag might be more psychological than real since i know my dell has 2ms and my tv is 5-7ms lol

gumballguy
09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
also why are u playing games at 1080 except for the new samsung series 6 and others like it there is a huge input lagg and no visible difference from 720p

I am using a samsung series 6...

Pontos
09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
You don't need to get one you have a HD3xxx or newer card, because all these will send the PCM decoded audio through the HDMI port.
Said decoding is made by the CPU/player, for which you may need software decoders if you don't already have them (Proprietary or Open Source).

Starting with the HD5xxx series you can send the original compressed (And encrypted if it's a Blu-ray) stream instead of decoding it on your PC, so it will be your receiver the one to do the job (No need for crappy software decoder from Powerdvd or the like :p:).

AbelJemka
09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Only people who think this isn't a relevant issue are users who prefer AMD/ATI, no surprises there. :rolleyes:
And some folks with Nvidia cards said they have the same problems but i don't see a news about it :rolleyes:

With the number of ATI users in this forums and the number of reply in this thread, the term 'major issue' seems clearly exagerrated!

blindbox
09-30-2009, 02:28 AM

1080p works fine on my monitor here, until I decided to add HDTV support. Take a guess, it's not an HDTV.

Thank you for testing. I don't know why, but after reading your reply, I tried to add modes under "HDTV Support" that I had already listed:

Add 1080i30 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)

Add 1080p60 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)

Add 1080p24 format to the Display Manager(HD)

Which resulted in 24hz, 29i, 30i, 59hz, 60hz listed under my refresh rates. Now everything under DX10 is working! Well DMC4 DX10 only works if I select 59hz under 1920x1080 resolution, but all other games properly detect 1080p now. I would have never guessed to try this if it wasn't for your reply. Thanks again.

Is this really a bug?:rolleyes:

I got no HDTV to try this but try doing only this "Add 1080p60 format to the Display Manager(NTSC)"

Anyway, I got the feeling this is a problem with going beyond the supported limits. Last time when I messed with the HDTV options, it was 1080p60 format that resulted me in getting an out of range error(black screen, etc, whatever). ATI probably didn't get that option right.

Does this work?

I just got a Sapphire 4870 1gb and it's my first ATI card. Anyways, I'm just getting familiar with it and I've been checking out these forums. At first, I tested this 60Hz issue and was like, "oh @#$@#".

I found setting your refresh rate to 59Hz fixes the issue. I tested this with Far Cry 2's benchmark tool using the DirectX 10 option. As soon as I pick 1920x1080-60Hz, it actually underscans the screen (which is annoying) and the TV shows 1080i. When I pick 1920x1080-59Hz, it shows full screen and the TV shows 1080p. You could probably go into Display Settings (in Control Panel) and default to 59Hz and never notice a difference. Unfortunately, Catalyst Control doesn't have the 59Hz option.

Nvidia actually defaulted to 59.something Hz (not the full 60Hz). I think that's why everyone is noticing this as a problem when switching.

...and PIN doesn't have a clue what he's talking about so it's probably best to ignore him. A monitor is the same as a TV only is missing the tuner and post processor board. If you go on the major manufacturer's websites, they'll offer large computer "monitors" under their corporate side of things. Same exact video panels except they're missing the tuners and include some extra outputs.

Anyways, hope this help some of you guys with the issue.

OTOH, it seems brutal to have this on the news page but I support this move. I've never had any problems with Catalyst drivers but others have. I hope this gets AMD's attention.

STaRGaZeR
09-30-2009, 03:22 AM
So now we can post driver issues in the news section to get AMD's attention?

AbelJemka
09-30-2009, 03:28 AM
'Yes we can' :p:

blindbox
09-30-2009, 06:40 AM

I won't :p: (call me a hypocrite)

AMDDeathstar
09-30-2009, 07:43 AM

Have you done the firmware update
http://www.panasonic.com/announce/updatemytv/info.html

DilTech
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM
maybe u should compain to the TV maker if this happens they should have made the tv accept a full 60hrz signal. and adding a launch option isnt hard.

i havnt seen this at all and ive built and installed HD tvs and HTPCs, i have had to set 59hrz as a launch option affter getting a black screen on ati and NV cards but ive never seen a tv change modes to 1080i. but if it prevents a launch to a black screen that seams like a pro

You clearly don't know anything on this topic. You see, it's not the HDTV with the problem, as we've tested on multiple tv's and multiple set ups with multiple video cards. The only common issue has been two things. ATi, and 1080p.

As for playing at 1080p, you reallllly just proved you don't know this discussion. When you play on a TV, in it's non-native resolution, the TV will have to scale said image. It's this post processing that causes input lag, and the closer you play to your native resolution the less lag you will have. Even if you scale it with your video card, there will be a slight lag, it's just a matter of how much.

Also, my TV is tested to be lagless...

You noticed that too?

When it's a bug that beens running for over a year, easily reproducible, affects anyone who games on the HTPC at 1080p and most didn't even know that the video card was the cause because there's no documentation that it happens because AMD refuses to acknowledge it? Yes, you can then post it as news.

There ARE people who game on their HTPC's or their TV, and them NOT knowing this screws THEM over, especially since AMD clearly has no intentions of paying it any mind currently.

p.s. I seem to recall every time NVidia had a driver bug that affected a major game(like crysis) when the GTX-280 first launched people would post it in the news section here. Rather than call it a driver bug, you guys all called it a "cheat", swore up and down it was news, and then went silent when it was fixed like 2 days later. Did it with the 8800GTX as well... Second it's an AMD problem, people downplay it.

Have you done the firmware update
http://www.panasonic.com/announce/updatemytv/info.html

Last firmware update for my TV was 1/08... Yes, it's up to date. :ROTF:

For the last time...It's not my TV that's the culprit, it's ATi. I've now tested on THREE HDTV's(with three different hdmi cables), all 1080p, same out-come. Also now tested four separate video cards(two different 4850's, one 3850, and one 4770), same problem. Forcing a refresh rate in the driver doesn't work, and in vista and up you can no longer force a refresh rate via dxdiag.

And some folks with Nvidia cards said they
have the same problems but i don't see a news about it :rolleyes:

With the number of ATI users in this forums and the number of reply in this thread, the term 'major issue' seems clearly exagerrated!

NVidia has a way to fix the problem for anyone who runs into it, as they can force a refresh rate over DX10. ATi can't... Also, Abel, considering people were having the problem all over the net and thought it was just an underscanning problem and didn't even know the TV was switching to 1080i, I'd be willing to wager there's people here with the problem right now and don't even realize it. I know on other forums I've talked about this on, people checked and found out they had the issue without even knowing, just thought the underscan was fubared.

Some people's eyes can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p, seeing as how lcds and plasmas put the interleaved image together for you before displaying it(albeit with slight artifacts in movement).

The thing is, when a card is advertised to do 1080p via hdmi, and comes WITH the connector to hook it up to your TV to do it, and it doesn't... Not only is that a problem, but it's also false advertising, and AMD has just ignored the issue for this long now?

Yes, that's news!

STaRGaZeR
09-30-2009, 09:29 AM
When it's a bug that beens running for over a year, easily reproducible, affects anyone who games on the HTPC at 1080p and most didn't even know that the video card was the cause because there's no documentation that it happens because AMD refuses to acknowledge it? Yes, you can then post it as news.

Pretty bad response coming from a moderator, because there are hundreds of bugs that meet your requirements and you know it. Bugs with more than one or two years, easily reproducible, affect anyone who games (no specifications). Wait, you think that people having video issues can't think it comes from the video card? *edited sherlock with censor bypass* After your post I could flood the news section with useless threads just like this one and you would close one after another saying "this is not news". Admit you were so pissed off because of this bug that you posted this rant in the news section just for the sake of it and I think everyone here will be happy.

DilTech
09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I posted it because it's useful information that should be known by the community but hasn't been touched on. This isn't some tiny bug, especially with 24" 1080p monitors coming down so low in price(and some ARE affected there too). Would I have known about it if it hadn't affected me? No. I spent a very good chunk of my monday trying to figure out what was causing this problem, had others testing as well, and finally we figured out the culprit when I had my TV tell me what mode it was running in. Then even more testing to verify what could possibly be triggering it...

So technically speaking, you're right in the assumption that if it didn't happen to me I wouldn't have posted this, because I wouldn't have known because there's no documentation on ANY news site about it. No reviewer has ever mentioned this issue, no website has even paid it any mind, but to those of us who use our tv's for monitors(and why wouldn't we, HDTV's have dropped drastically in price and at 1080p they work fine for doing so) this is a big deal. If it wasn't for this very post, people on this site would have no idea, and someone in this thread even said they blamed their TV and not their video card, which you just said wouldn't happen...

So yes, I say it again... This IS news.

p.s. I don't mind a debate(you know that) but please watch the language.. I'll give you the opportunity to edit it out yourself.

STaRGaZeR
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Again, you know there are lots of bugs in the same situation, and you know yours is not an exception, nor anything special. So why open it then? Not reported as ultra big news by press sites? It sounds like a joke, no offense. We all have this kind of bugs. And I didn't say it wouldn't happen. There are always people without the basic knowledge to know the signal that gets to the monitor is the same no matter the content of the signal itself, you know. Don't make a rule from an exception.

What language? Nothing in my post is offensive, if you find it that way please edit it yourself so I can see what exactly you do find innapropiate.

gamervivek
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Some people may already have discovered this, but no news site has posted this issue...

When playing on a 1080p HDTV via HDMI with DX10 the 4xxx series reverts to 1080i when you select 1920x1080 as the resolution. It's unknown to me as of yet whether it occurs with all DX10 titles or just some, but it definitely occurs with the following...

Gears of War - PC
Stalker: Clear Sky
Bioshock

Crysis works fine though.

Some games work fine, but some don't. I'd like for anyone with any DX10 or higher ATi card to test various DX10 games to see if this happens to them as well. I'm assuming if you can change the refresh rate in game you can fix the issue.

To verify if it's happening to you, have your TV tell you the resolution it is running at after you start the game. If it says 1080i, the game you're playing is effected.

Also, yes, this is news as other than a few forums there's never been any talk about this situation ever. I'd like to verify if it effects HD2xxx, 3xxx, and 5xxx series cards as well.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=98024&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Here's a thread talking about it on AMD's forum, incase anyone thinks it's just me. :up:

Also, it CAN be fixed, but it'll take some help by those who know how to edit ATi drivers to remove support for 1080i altogether, as it's apparently caused by DX10 titles automatically reverting to the first 1080 resolution found, which in the driver is 1080i. Anyone down to help take on the project?

stalker clear sky running well and good
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1392213

go through these pages and you will find solution to your problems and why they are not ati specific-
http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33931994&page=3

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/213004273931

and finally it's not only an ati issue-
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127857

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230441

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14452740

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903292

funnily enough the thread you posted itself has some posts explaining about it down below and how it's a common issue on both ait and nvidia.:welcome:

DilTech
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Star, I edited it for you with a reference to what I was talking about, the censor bypass(which as you know is against forum policy, please avoid it in the future).

Gamer, the "crysis issue" was a different ballgame and a problem with crysis itself. The ATi issue is going into interlaced, and not just in crysis. They are COMPLETELY different problems. That's the only problem people had with HDTV and NVidia cards(crysis switching to 1080p24), and that one has a work around which is relatively painless. Trust me, my old card was a 8800GTX with the same TV, never an issue with the set up.

STaRGaZeR
09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
If you're going to honor the censor you'll have to edit a lot every day ;)

DilTech
09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I honor it any time I see it...If you see one I miss please inform me, I don't take sides when it comes to the rules.

Xello
09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah this is such an old issue. Ended up selling my X48 blackops rig with two 4870x2's because of this and several others. The 1080p24 thing and the 1080i thing is the same issue, 1080 @ 24 hz IS interlaced, it only becomes progressive @ 50hz and higher with official drivers.

blindbox
09-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Star, I edited it for you with a reference to what I was talking about, the censor bypass(which as you know is against forum policy, please avoid it in the future).

Gamer, the "crysis issue" was a different ballgame and a problem with crysis itself. The ATi issue is going into interlaced, and not just in crysis. They are COMPLETELY different problems. That's the only problem people had with HDTV and NVidia cards(crysis switching to 1080p24), and that one has a work around which is relatively painless. Trust me, my old card was a 8800GTX with the same TV, never an issue with the set up.

This, is the fix, maybe. A little different from what you did. It adds the YbCbCr pixel format.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1335857994&postcount=92

Anyone with the issue and got it fixed? I fail to see posts saying "I tried that fix but it didn't work" :rolleyes: and instead see complaints about it. It can't be that diltech is the only one with a HDTV.

It would be at least helpful to know that there is a fix, although not from AMD themselves.

DilTech
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah this is such an old issue. Ended up selling my X48 blackops rig with two 4870x2's because of this and several others. The 1080p24 thing and the 1080i thing is the same issue, 1080 @ 24 hz IS interlaced, it only becomes progressive @ 50hz and higher with official drivers.

1080p24 is progressive, but it's a standard put in place for movies, as they are recorded at 24 frames per second. It's done that way because when you watch a movie at 1080p60 it doubles up every other frame to sync it to your TV. I don't think there is a 1080i24, but I could be wrong, considering other than with this ATi card I've never wasted my time with interlaced and a HDTV.

Also, blind, that fix works for some but not others, which is weird. We need a wider range of test base to get this fixed.

iddqd
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
aren't all computer displays interlaced, anyway?

they're not even close to the hdtv spec regardless.

either way, doesn't matter.

DilTech
09-30-2009, 05:56 PM
aren't all computer displays interlaced, anyway?

they're not even close to the hdtv spec regardless.

either way, doesn't matter.

LCD's cannot display an interlaced image properly, as interlaced alternates rows of pixels rendered to create the overall picture, CRT's can perform this fine though. As such, with the vast majority of monitors being LCD, computer displays aren't all interlaced.

So yes, it does still matter. ;)

jaredpace
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Is this a problem for anyone else besides the op?

astrallite
10-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Oddly enough, I have the opposite experience.

Out of the box, my HD5870 ran Crysis with vsync at 60hz.

The GTX 285 I had, instead, ran at 24hz. I had to manually create a 1080p@60hz profile.

initialised
10-01-2009, 04:25 AM
I checked this on RF:G and L4D, RF:G was running at 1080i, setting refresh rate to 59Hz fixed it. L4D runs at 1080p by default.

Xello
10-01-2009, 05:49 AM
1080p24 is progressive, but it's a standard put in place for movies, as they are recorded at 24 frames per second. It's done that way because when you watch a movie at 1080p60 it doubles up every other frame to sync it to your TV. I don't think there is a 1080i24, but I could be wrong, considering other than with this ATi card I've never wasted my time with interlaced and a HDTV.

Also, blind, that fix works for some but not others, which is weird. We need a wider range of test base to get this fixed.

1080i24 is exactly the problem, go to your catalyst control center and choose any low refresh rate (24, 25, 30) it will be 1080i. You cannot choose between interlaced and progressive on catalyst your tv will set this depending on your refresh rate.

I kinda lol'd when i seen this thread, i remember making one about the issue what seems like years ago but it seemed to be kinda taboo to talk about it or bad mouth ATI in any way on here so it has silently existed as an unsolvable major problem for such a long time that folks like me just stopped caring, sold the rigs and moved on to nvidia.

DilTech
10-01-2009, 09:01 AM
1080i24 is exactly the problem, go to your catalyst control center and choose any low refresh rate (24, 25, 30) it will be 1080i. You cannot choose between interlaced and progressive on catalyst your tv will set this depending on your refresh rate.

I kinda lol'd when i seen this thread, i remember making one about the issue what seems like years ago but it seemed to be kinda taboo to talk about it or bad mouth ATI in any way on here so it has silently existed as an unsolvable major problem for such a long time that folks like me just stopped caring, sold the rigs and moved on to nvidia.

I'm definitely beginning to see that you can't show anything negative about ATi on here...it wasn't THIS bad before I disappeared due to work.

I can say that if this isn't fixed soon though, I won't touch another ATi card again, and won't build any more systems for people with ATi. It's a very important feature to many of us, and the fact that they just ignore it.

Again I tell people who say it's not important...some of us buy video cards to play games, I know that's a hard concept for some of you, but it's true. Of those of us who play games, some of us play on our TV's as a 1080p TV is perfectly capable of being used as a gaming monitor. Out of that group, some play DX10 games...

Imagine if this only occurred with a major 3d mark, and caused it not to let you post your score. Then it would affect only the bench markers and not a single person gaming on the cards...Yes, it's a big deal. :up:

lowfat
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM

It isn't the TV manufacturer that is the issue. Its the ATI drivers that send out the 1080p24/1080i (depends on the game).

And there is a HUGE difference between 720p and 1080p gaming unless you are sitting like 8 feet way on the couch. But for people who use an HDTV as a computer monitor on there desk, 720p looks like utter garbage.

SocketMan
10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Shame on you ATI - you should have worked closely
with the game developers to implement proper AA for Batman
and 1080p for all the games.I will burn all my ATI cards
right now if you don't send me a new 60" HDTV that works
with 1080p at 100 fps,I don't care it is specked at 24fps.

DilTech
10-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Shame on you ATI - you should have worked closely
with the game developers to implement proper AA for Batman
and 1080p for all the games.I will burn all my ATI cards
right now if you don't send me a new 60" HDTV that works
with 1080p at 100 fps,I don't care it is specked at 24fps.

No 1080p tv is spec'ed as max hz of 24... They just have the ability to switch to 24hz for high def movies. :up:

itznfb
10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
You clearly don't know anything on this topic. You see, it's not the HDTV with the problem, as we've tested on multiple tv's and multiple set ups with multiple video cards. The only common issue has been two things. ATi, and 1080p.

From my personal experience I would have to disagree with this partially. I have every issues listed in this thread on my older Samsung 46" LCD 1080p. I have a newer LN32A650 that doesn't have a single issue with games but still has underscanning issues.

I wouldn't have known because there's no documentation on ANY news site about it.

Try googling "ati 1080p issues"

You'll find every issue in this thread talked about on pretty much every forum and news site all the way back to 2006. This was a hot topic back in late 2007 early 2008. Pretty much died out when people started to realize ATI/AMD didn't care.

Kinda weird people are bringing it up again.

Xello
10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I can say that if this isn't fixed soon though

Not a chance in hell i.m.o, they know about this problem, have done for at least 3 years, there are (now very old) threads on both the official forums and other sites such as rage3d on the issue which i participated in back in the day.

I won't touch another ATi card again

Join the club! What good is having this great hardware when the driver team sits on their ass :shakes:

Also seems to be the same people who are jumping to ATI's defense and pinning the issue on everything and anything but Catalyst. If you want my advice don't waste your time on them :up:

WTF are you talking about 1080p? ATI are much better for HD stuff than nvidia!!!1 Take your tv back to the store :rofl:

DilTech
10-01-2009, 10:06 AM
itznfb;4042788']From my personal experience I would have to disagree with this partially. I have every issues listed in this thread on my older Samsung 46" LCD 1080p. I have a newer LN32A650 that doesn't have a single issue with games but still has underscanning issues.

Try googling "ati 1080p issues"

You'll find every issue in this thread talked about on pretty much every forum and news site all the way back to 2006. This was a hot topic back in late 2007 early 2008. Pretty much died out when people started to realize ATI/AMD didn't care.

Kinda weird people are bringing it up again.

If you have scaling issues in games, but not at the desktop, then your card is reverting to 1080i still. Set the under/over scan up for 1080i, and you'll see the scanning problem is fixed, and it'll verify you are still having the same problem.

itznfb
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
If you have scaling issues in games, but not at the desktop, then your card is reverting to 1080i still. Set the under/over scan up for 1080i, and you'll see the scanning problem is fixed, and it'll verify you are still having the same problem.

On the newer TV the games work fine but the desktop underscans every time I reboot. Sometimes I need to reboot more than once because the desktop won't fill the monitor even after reducing the underscan.

DilTech
10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Ah, that's a completely different issue entirely...

Are you hooked up via hdmi, dvi, or vga?

itznfb
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Ah, that's a completely different issue entirely...

Are you hooked up via hdmi, dvi, or vga?

Direct HDMI with a AIW HD, DVI > HDMI when using a 4850. Works fine with direct DVI, but then I obviously get no audio :rolleyes:
Not to worry. Next card will probably be going back to Nvidia. lol

Manicdan
10-01-2009, 10:22 AM
whats direct HDMI? i have a cable that converts DVI to HDMI, is that not the same as if my gpu has an HDMI port?

itznfb
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
whats direct HDMI? i have a cable that converts DVI to HDMI, is that not the same as if my gpu has an HDMI port?

Depends on the adapter used. ATI makes an adapter that makes DVI the same as HDMI.

DilTech
10-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Which is what makes it all the more ironic that at 1080p, a resolution most HDTV's only accept via HDMI, is what the card has issues with even though ATi made such a big deal about including that adapter with their cards.

Stukov
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I have the below computer information, I connected my 4870 X2 on the bottom HDMI converted port (one closest to the board that puts out sound) to my Samsung LNS4095DX 1920x1080p HDTV. I am running Windows 7 HP with Catalyst 9.9. My main monitor is a Samsung 226BW I believe, @ 1680x1050.

I went to Catalyst CP and went to swap monitors to make my TV the main one.
http://maximusimperium.net/gallery/data/media/1/swap9.9.png
I then went to the properties of the TV to change its settings.

There I saw the Hz was set to 30Hz, booted up RE5 and the TV said 1920x1080i.

Went back in to Catalyst and changed it from 30Hz to 60Hz.
http://maximusimperium.net/gallery/data/media/1/3060change.png

Back into RE5 and TV said 1920x1080p. If you don't believe me I could take screen shots of the TV.

Manicdan
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
itznfb;4042866']Depends on the adapter used. ATI makes an adapter that makes DVI the same as HDMI.

i swear i had one of those, and i searched everywhere for it, but couldnt find it, but i dont game on my big screen anyway, so its no harm, i just use it for watching movies off PC

Stukov
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
i swear i had one of those, and i searched everywhere for it, but couldnt find it, but i dont game on my big screen anyway, so its no harm, i just use it for watching movies off PC

I am using the HDMI converter that came with the 4870X2 that says ATI on it.

DilTech
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I wonder if that isn't different with windows 7 than vista Stukov. I've tried that in vista with no luck, as have many others.

Stukov
10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I wonder if that isn't different with windows 7 than vista Stukov. I've tried that in vista with no luck, as have many others.

Very possible. You can try Windows 7 out see if it works. Ive had it installed for little over a month now so I can't test it on Vista. There is a new driver model WDM 1.1 or something like that. Vista is only 1.0, could be the newer driver model makes it work better.

Xello
10-02-2009, 03:07 AM
Back into RE5 and TV said 1920x1080p. If you don't believe me I could take screen shots of the TV.

So you can run RE5 in DX10 mode without a problem?

Remember as diltech said this issue affects alot of games, not every one though. I remember Bioshock being the only one out of my games that worked, but you had to patch to 1.02.

TheLetterZ
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Did a little testing on my Vizio 47" LCD
HD 4870 512MB
4GB
Vista 64 SP2
Cat 9.9

I tested 5 games:

Devil May Cry 4 - DX10 =1080p
Far Cry 2 - DX10 =1080i, DX9 =1080p
Red Faction Guerrilla - DX10 =1080p
H.A.W.X. - DX10.1 =1080p
UT3 - DX10 =1080p

Out 5 games 4 seemed to work. Although I did have to set some of the games to 59hz or it would default to 1080i if set at 60hz. UT3 and HAWX(set to 60hz) worked without having to change any settings. Far Cry 2 seemed to be the only game giving me problems, but I think someone posted earlier they got it working with the same 59hz setting in DX10. Maybe there's a patch that fixes this issue.

Stukov
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
So you can run RE5 in DX10 mode without a problem?

Remember as diltech said this issue affects alot of games, not every one though. I remember Bioshock being the only one out of my games that worked, but you had to patch to 1.02.

Yes I can, in Windows 7, DX10 with Catalyst 9.9 on 4870 X2 on HDMI converter that came with the card on the slot closes to motherboard.

Here is image taken with a digital camera on my Samsung 40" LNS4095DX, in game settings max, DX10, 4xAA, 60Hz (also selected in game), vsync enabled, and above settings in CCC.
http://maximusimperium.net/gallery/data/media/1/100_0421.JPG

Stukov
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know if it matters but I am using Riva Tuners D3D Overrider in order to force triple buffering for my card. I don't see any refresh rate over rides in my settings, and it was set to 30Hz before I went into CCC and set it to 60Hz.

TheLetterZ
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Just tested Resident Evil 5 as well, seems to be working at 1080p. So maybe it's has something to do with the game's monitor detection, I remember when we had to use refresh lock on CRTs to get the refresh rate correct.

I don't think this is just DX10, Prototype runs at 1080i and I think it's a DX9 game

Stukov
10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Works in L4D Dx9 game.
http://maximusimperium.net/gallery/data/media/1/100_0423.JPG

Here is WiC DX10 mode, it says 1920x1080i 60Hz. I would imagine that the issue if there is one is with some of the games.
http://maximusimperium.net/gallery/data/media/1/100_0429.JPG

blindbox
10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Did a little testing on my Vizio 47" LCD
HD 4870 512MB
4GB
Vista 64 SP2
Cat 9.9

I tested 5 games:

Devil May Cry 4 - DX10 =1080p
Far Cry 2 - DX10 =1080i, DX9 =1080p
Red Faction Guerrilla - DX10 =1080p
H.A.W.X. - DX10.1 =1080p
UT3 - DX10 =1080p

Out 5 games 4 seemed to work. Although I did have to set some of the games to 59hz or it would default to 1080i if set at 60hz. UT3 and HAWX(set to 60hz) worked without having to change any settings. Far Cry 2 seemed to be the only game giving me problems, but I think someone posted earlier they got it working with the same 59hz setting in DX10. Maybe there's a patch that fixes this issue.

I think 59Hz is given just in case someone screwed the 60Hz settings. You can't see the difference between 59Hz and 60Hz.

Stukov, what about setting your refresh rate to 59Hz? Will WiC work properly by then?

I guess the issue here is ATI falling down to 1080i instead of falling down to 59Hz.:yepp:

DilTech
10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
blind, hopefully you're right...once we're sure of the issue I'm going to document it from beginning to end, with a link to this thread, and put in my report to ati. If they can merely have the card force 59hz in games, then everyone can be happy!

Sadly, this is a fix that has to be done at the driver level, but at least we can work around for some games.

Stukov
10-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think my tv supports 59Hz. Is there a difference on WiC if it was 1080i 60Hz vs 1080p 60Hz?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1408142

Looks like some people fix the issue by adding HDTV modes to the control panel. If what I did doesn't work for you maybe try that.

TheLetterZ
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
DilTech,
I'm not sure it's a driver issue, the majority of games I have tried to seem to display 1080p fine. I have a feeling it has more to do with the game's monitor detection. 1080p works on Ghostbusters, Deadspace, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Demigod(altho I know they're not DX10).

What surprised me was UT3 worked without having to set the refresh rate while a few people have reported Gears or War not working with 1080p. :confused:

Edit: Has anyone tested this on Nvidia cards yet? I'm curious to see if the issue is game specific?
Can someone with an Nvidia card and those games test and see if it still happens?

astrallite
10-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Aren't TV broadcasts at 59.94hz? I imagine 59hz is actually referring to that number, since it's an available resolution that pops up when a LCD TV is detected.

DilTech
10-02-2009, 05:01 PM
DilTech,
I'm not sure it's a driver issue, the majority of games I have tried to seem to display 1080p fine. I have a feeling it has more to do with the game's monitor detection. 1080p works on Ghostbusters, Deadspace, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Demigod(altho I know they're not DX10).

What surprised me was UT3 worked without having to set the refresh rate while a few people have reported Gears or War not working with 1080p. :confused:

Edit: Has anyone tested this on Nvidia cards yet? I'm curious to see if the issue is game specific?
Can someone with an Nvidia card and those games test and see if it still happens?

I use to play all the same games on my 8800GTX with the exact same set up, never an issue. None of the games I tried did I get after I bought my 4850. So as far as I can tell it's ATi specific. :(

Stukov
10-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I use to play all the same games on my 8800GTX with the exact same set up, never an issue. None of the games I tried did I get after I bought my 4850. So as far as I can tell it's ATi specific. :(

Have you tried what I showed? Was that any luck?

STEvil
10-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I havent run into the problem yet on my 4870X2 with XP64.

The issue could be related to the timings and info the monitor is feeding the video card maybe?

DilTech
10-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Have you tried what I showed? Was that any luck?

I tried that before I even posted this thread... I tried every trick in the book with hours of work on it.

nsegative
10-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I get 1080p in RE5, stalker clear sky and call of privat, hawx, crysis, bioshock, etc. All I had to do was add the 3 refresh rates on the first page and everything worked fine since then.

Xello
10-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks like some people fix the issue by adding HDTV modes to the control panel. If what I did doesn't work for you maybe try that.

Diltech is free to try all of these suggestions but i can state for myself that you name it, i tried it. Last year i spent 3 straight weeks and altogether over 100 hours troubleshooting this issue (among others) and concluded there is no fix. The problem is simple, in dx10 mode the card is being forced to a lower refresh rate. Unfortunately no refresh rate override program will correct this :down:

This problem is a repeat of the same issue i had years prior on dx9 with my x1950 pro when i first got a HDTV. The issue was fixed back then quite easily, Catalyst itself had an "override 3d refresh rate" tick box which forced a 3d application to use the same refresh rate that the desktop had. ATI removed this from Catalyst long ago, and third party programs as i said have no effect.

Edit: Has anyone tested this on Nvidia cards yet?

Yes! If Nvidia hadn't be the solution to this problem, i'd have given up PC gaming altogether and stuck to consoles. Fortunately it's not an issue :up:

Stukov
10-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Diltech is free to try all of these suggestions but i can state for myself that you name it, i tried it. Last year i spent 3 straight weeks and altogether over 100 hours troubleshooting this issue (among others) and concluded there is no fix. The problem is simple, in dx10 mode the card is being forced to a lower refresh rate. Unfortunately no refresh rate override program will correct this :down:

This problem is a repeat of the same issue i had years prior on dx9 with my x1950 pro when i first got a HDTV. The issue was fixed back then quite easily, Catalyst itself had an "override 3d refresh rate" tick box which forced a 3d application to use the same refresh rate that the desktop had. ATI removed this from Catalyst long ago, and third party programs as i said have no effect.

Yes! If Nvidia hadn't be the solution to this problem, i'd have given up PC gaming altogether and stuck to consoles. Fortunately it's not an issue :up:

Well, DX10 mode isn't being forced to lower refresh rate, or everyone here would have the same problem. DX10 works for myself and others.

Have you tried reinstalling your OS fresh? Have you tried Riva Tuners D3D Overrider on your system? I have it on mine, however I use it to force TripleBuffer not refresh rates right now since it works in CCC.

It is certainly understandable to be frustrated after 100 hours, but the issue isn't DX10, or like I said no one could get it working. If it was an issue with ATI, then no ATI user could get it to work. There is another reason why it isn't working your system.

DilTech
10-04-2009, 01:28 PM
D3D over-ride doesn't work with DX10. Also, for some reason microsoft removed the ability to force refresh rate via dxdiag in vista, or we'd be able to use the old ati fix.

It's a matter of it works with some games, but not all, and while the various fixes work for some they also don't work for all. The issue appears to be how the driver interacts with specific games, and can likely be fixed by AMD 100% if they take the time to do so. The more the word spreads, the more likely they are to do something about it.

Vapor
10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Looks like a good troubleshooting thread in progress...moved to the ATi section :toast:

Xello
10-05-2009, 02:20 AM
Well, DX10 mode isn't being forced to lower refresh rate

So dx7 worked, dx8 worked, dx9 worked, but dx10 didn't. Which DX is not working here, 8? I'd say DX10... If your statement was true there would be nothing for us to be talking about in this thread.

Have you tried reinstalling your OS fresh? Have you tried Riva Tuners D3D Overrider on your system?

Tried both of these back then, i tried 6 different refresh rate override programs - it does not work in dx10 mode. The authors of these programs have stated this themselves - i was in PM contact with the author of ATITrayTools for a few days. At one point i was trying some fairly 'advanced' techniques using programs such as Powerstrip to remove ATI's display driver and attempt to create a custom one of my own for my specific HDTV, but after many attempts that didn't work either.

If it was an issue with ATI, then no ATI user could get it to work. There is another reason why it isn't working your system.

Well, when the issue occurs with ATI and not with Nvidia, on the same system, then i choose to believe that the issue is with ATI, maybe i'm just being unreasonable there. Regardless of whether or not ALL people have this issue:- If i'm the only person with this issue, then yes i'd have to concede that it is something specific to my system at fault. If i'm NOT the only one with this issue, if indeed this is a widespread (as it is in this case) issue affecting many people, then no it's not a problem with my system alone.

I'll be following this thread closely just to see if a solution is found (i'd stake my savings fund that it won't be though :()