PDA

View Full Version : My Temps are officially not good.

Jonni Nitro
09-26-2009, 09:00 AM
After all that work I finally get my loop running and I am disappointed by my temps. In fact, there must be something wrong. I am not sure if I have just over loaded my loop or if I mount my block wrong. I followed the intructions and everything seems right.

I am idling around 38-40C with ambient of about 75-78F. Also, my gpus are idling at 3-4C lowering then my cpu. I am afraid to tighten down the cpu block more. When loaded temp jump up about 10-12C

My loop specs and order:
Res
2xMCR320s stacked with S Flex 75CFM fans and spacers
HeatKiller 3.0 LT
MCW30
MCW60
MCW60
Res

I know there is a lot in this loop, but i really didnt think my temps were going to be this bad. Is it really just too much heat for these rads?

Bojamijams
09-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Your CPU temps just to 52C at its highest on load and thats not good to you?

There's only so much you can get from a 3x120mm with 4 blocks on the loop including two GPU's known to be hot. Your temps are quite fine.

millertime359
09-26-2009, 09:26 AM
What are you using to get load temps? I don't see anything wrong with your temps either, especially with ambient hitting near 80.

malkiewicz
09-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah... the 6600 can handle higher temps easily (I would consider it a workhorse)... For some reason your build should have lower temps because my ambient temps hit 80+ and I was able to keep it well under 55C with 1 360 radiator...

Jonni Nitro
09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I used Intel Burn Test. I know that Prime95 is better, but I am just doing testing right now. I was really thinking my temps are horrible, but maybe not. What can I use to load the gfx cards? I ran 3DMark Vantage and my gfx cards never went over 45C.

millertime359
09-26-2009, 09:53 AM
I thought F@H puts some stress on the GPU.

Your temps are plenty fine then. I wouldn't worry about it. :up:

faster3200
09-26-2009, 09:55 AM
What are you using to get load temps? I don't see anything wrong with your temps either, especially with ambient hitting near 80.

Your CPU temps just to 52C at its highest on load and thats not good to you?

There's only so much you can get from a 3x120mm with 4 blocks on the loop including two GPU's known to be hot. Your temps are quite fine.

This (these?).

Your temps seem fine and what you state seems perfectly normal. The only thing that jumps out at me are the stacked rads with that fan combo. Stacked rads really need strong fans to be effective and those are quite weak. If you really want to improve temps I would start there and give us a breakdown of how many you are using.

Yeah... the 6600 can handle higher temps easily (I would consider it a workhorse)... For some reason your build should have lower temps because my ambient temps hit 80+ and I was able to keep it well under 55C with 1 360 radiator...

You can't cross compare temps like that. There are too many variables to call a comparison of setups accurate.

EDIT: For GPU temps try Furmark or OCCT GPU test.

malkiewicz
09-26-2009, 10:01 AM
faster3200... Your right.... Sorry... If I'm going to compare I need to be more specific / detailed.... I was just trying indicate that his temps are okay but it's possible to get lower temps ...

eponymous
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Hehe, when the fan failed on my 6600, the temp rose to around 140 degrees for about 5 minutes (with a nice burning smell). I attached a new fan and it's still going strong :P

NaeKuh
09-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I am idling around 38-40C with ambient of about 75-78F. Also, my gpus are idling at 3-4C lowering then my cpu. I am afraid to tighten down the cpu block more. When loaded temp jump up about 10-12C

Do you honestly think your gpu's and cpu should idle at the same temp?

do you know how water works?

The coolant temp is considered your floor. We call that ground Zero.

From ground zero, the only way your other blocks can read ground zero, is when there OFF.

When there on, its like you lighting a little match. How bright the fire is, depends on how much power your component draws.

So no there is aboslutely nothing wrong with the specs you gave us.
Your just trying to compare your temps with someone else on the forum who probably has a lower ambient then you do.

Or has a much more expensive system then you do.

malkiewicz
09-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah... I cooked one of my Q6600's & 8800's before when my pump failed... The liquid in my CPU block actually started to boil.... I sold it to my friend last year and it's still running strong.... That's why I run dual pumps now...

Hehe, when the fan failed on my 6600, the temp rose to around 140 degrees for about 5 minutes (with a nice burning smell). I attached a new fan and it's still going strong :P

BrokenArrow
09-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Did you use a backplate for the CPU block? If not, the bending of the mobo may lead to poor contact.

NaeKuh
09-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Did you use a backplate for the CPU block? If not, the bending of the mobo may lead to poor contact.

*sigh*

there is no poor contact.

I am idling around 38-40C with ambient of about 75-78F. Also, my gpus are idling at 3-4C lowering then my cpu

first off his ambient is around 25-28C check..
So if i use math i can assume his coolant levels are roughly around 30-35C. Now lets Check by assumption and see if his deltas are alright...

So his CPU is idling 38-40C... which means he has a delta of 8 as his low. That sounds okey...

Now his GPU is idling at 34-35 which has a delta of 4 low...
That sounds okey again...

Why? cuz his gpu is drawing less power then his cpu is, and therefore his cpu is hotter.

So whats wrong with his system again?

Oh his only problem is he didnt pay enough and split his loops up with more radiators or he didnt put his rads in front of an AC.
But i dont think that would fit in his budget or objective.

Spawn-Inc
09-26-2009, 12:15 PM
either un stack those rads, or get 9 fans going for better temps and performance.

Zigosity
09-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Those temps look fine to me. O_o. My rig at 3.6 right now is getting like 64-65 under load and idles at ~40-43... Not to mention you've piled a whole bunch of stuff into one loop, which is going to give you less than ideal performance.

-Zigosity

BrokenArrow
09-26-2009, 12:40 PM
*sigh*

there is no poor contact.

I was trying to help. Please do not try to look down your nose at me with a comment like *sigh*.

Jonni Nitro
09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I will agree that these fans are probably to weak and I could have either split the loop or add a 3rd rad before the gpus. Next time I break downt he loop I am going to change my fans for sure and probably add another set. I was trying not to overload my fan controller, but then I ended up with one channel free. I might consider a push/pull with a shroud in between next time.

I am using a backplate, btw.

My rads. The bottom fans are the actual fans. Top ones are gutted for shrouds. I should have cut the bottom of the case and got taller feet for better intake. Live and learn.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/JoniNitro/seven.jpg

millertime359
09-26-2009, 01:25 PM
You can always go and get some sticks of wood and use them to jack the case up. It won't be pretty, but will get you by till you get the time to tear down again. :up:

Edward88
09-26-2009, 04:48 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/JoniNitro/seven.jpg

If you want to improve your temps use more fans! you have only 3 of them :shakes:

I would do something like fan|rad1|fan|rad2|fan :p:

NaeKuh
09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I was trying to help. Please do not try to look down your nose at me with a comment like *sigh*.

Dont take it personally...

i tend to sigh a lot.

There isnt anything wrong with his system.
And im trying to save the op from tinkering with it b4 he does break something.

If you want to improve your temps use more fans! you have only 3 of them :shakes:

I would do something like fan|rad1|fan|rad2|fan :p:

we wont really know if that will fix his wants either, without a coolant test.
For all we know it could generate too much noise and the OP might not want that.

Jonni Nitro
09-26-2009, 08:23 PM
For all we know it could generate too much noise and the OP might not want that.

Noise is a concern, but I still have two open channels on my fan controller. I dont mind noise I just want to control it if my pc is just sitting there.

Do my fans just not move enough air or is it also velocity? What would have been some good fans to run? I have thought about adding another set of fans to the top of my rads, it easy to get to and wouldnt take much to make it work.

NaeKuh
09-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Noise is a concern, but I still have two open channels on my fan controller. I dont mind noise I just want to control it if my pc is just sitting there.

Do my fans just not move enough air or is it also velocity? What would have been some good fans to run? I have thought about adding another set of fans to the top of my rads, it easy to get to and wouldnt take much to make it work.

First off we need to do a coolant test to see what is your true delta.
A Coolant test means u take your water temperature and compare it to the air temperature thats coming into your rads.

This delta represents what i said was called ground zero. There are many ways to do this if you dont have a inline probe.

If your rad capacity is indeed limited then...

The problem is in your stack.

Unless you can get enough air to your second rad, you will starve it off 2 MCR320's.

There are 3 ways to fix this.

1. You can put another set of fans ontop of your rad like the person recomended, and do whats called a push/pull on the top rad.
This would indeed give you some benifits, but could double your noise.

2. Get a thicker set of fans in the middle. Which means more powerful fans, and that will also lead to increased noise.
I have a simular stack with San Aces on Shrouds...
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Haruhi/IMG_1388.jpg

3. Add another layer of fan on the bottom and then again on the top (exactly what the person recommended).
So you would have a total of 9 fans.
This will allow you to "cheat" static, and hence you could downvolt them all to a comfortable level, maybe...
Well 9 fans is a lot of noise, i dont know if there is a comfortable level.

But you would have one thick stack.

skinnee
09-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Naekuh, you cannot post any more photos until you sign up and complete an amateur photography class at the local Community College. Oh yeah, and buy a can of compressed air already.

Jonni Nitro
09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
This is sorta of a dumb question, but all my fans should match correct? If I went with a higher cfm fan on top my rads now I am sure it would have a wierd effect on the other fans.

zeropluszero
09-27-2009, 01:01 AM
i would think that you would. i wouldnt go push/pull with different rated fans.

millertime359
09-27-2009, 05:52 AM
This is sorta of a dumb question, but all my fans should match correct? If I went with a higher cfm fan on top my rads now I am sure it would have a wierd effect on the other fans.

If you get high enough CFM fans, they will over power the slower ones and burn them out.

There are a few other options. I'm certain Naekuh had some old San Aces sitting around that he could cannibalize for shrouds. Seeing you probably don't, you can get some faster fans and turn those ones you have now into shrouds and a do a fan/rad/shroud/rad/fan. It will move more air than your current setup.

You can always buy a shroud (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fetfcxtrash1.html) too.

Well, thinking about it again, I would think the S-Flexs would be fine as long as you got at least 3 more. :shrug:

Jonni Nitro
09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Something else I just found out. I took the side panel off of my computer and it in about 10min my idle temps have dropped to 4C at idle. It is pretty obvious my the intake side of things are just to choked up. I am going to put some taller legs on and if I could have enough room for rad/fan/rad/fan with shorouds or fan/rad/fan/rad/fan without shrouds. I would still be able to control them all so noise wouldnt be a huge issue. If I ran two or three sets of these Scythe S Flex would it be enough? What other fans would be better. I can run 20W off each channel on my fan controller and have 4ch.

If the loop was getting oversaturated wouldnt if just keep heating up and slowly raise the temps over time?

Jonni Nitro
10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I just wanted to post an update on my temps. Ambient temps dropped to about 70F and while I was P95ing and getting this thing stable my temps were about 36C at idle and 60C under load. I add 3 more fans to the top of my stack for a total of 6xScythe S Flex 75cfm fans. Now my temps have dropped to 32C at idle and 55C while P95. So I am much happier with my setup. Considering how much heat is in my loop and the two stacked MCR320's I am very impressed. Thanks for all the input. Now, I just have to wait until I can get a Q9x50 for a final update to this rig. At this point temps dont matter because my Q6600 just wont do more that 451X8 stable.