PDA

View Full Version : New to WC, about to place some orders

Delemon
09-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I finally decided to jump on the i7 920 bandwagon and have a list I'd like a second, third, etc set of eyes to make sure I haven't yet missed anything. I already have a D5 vario, i7 920 D0, and an EVGA X58 Classified. Case will be a MM Pinnacle 24 CYO.

Res: EK-Multioption RES 250 rev.2
Pump: D5 Vario w/ EK-D5 X Top
CPU: Heatkiller 3.0 LT
SB/NB: EK-FB EVGA Classified Full Board block
RAD: Swiftech MCR320-QP
Fittings: Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black 1/2in ID barb (x8)
Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT Black Tube
Coolant: Distilled H20 w/ Silver Killcoil
TIM: Indigo Extreme

I think I have enough fittings (2x for CPU, board, pump, and res) though I might have missed something. Figured I could run a fill port to the top of that res so I might need a fill port cap or something.

Going with a single loop, CPU and board only. Going to wait on cooling the GPU for now, though I might go that route in another few months after the next round of ATI and nVidia cards are released. Going fully internal, as this case is huge enough without mounting rads on the outside.

Any glaring omissions or things I might want to consider?

faster3200
09-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Fans? Otherwise, it looks good.

Delemon
09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Fans: Cheap Yates until the higher speed Gentle Typhoons are available. Will probably get a fan controller to fine tune when I'm gaming vs when I'm sleeping.

millertime359
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Everything looks great. It seems you did some research. :up:

The only thought I can add is looking into a Typhoon III for when you add your GPUs.

Delemon
09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Quick question on the res... do I need to get caps/stoppers/plugs for the unused ports? I live hours from any place that might even consider carrying something like this, and as I'm a total n00b to WC, I'd hate to get my stuff ordered and then have to sit and wait because I missed something on the res.

shazza
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Good job!

Not 100% sure if the res comes with stop plugs (I believe my EK multi-res did, but that was some time ago). Never hurts to order a couple just in case. They can be handy for other things occasionally. They are readily available at the on-line stores.

The one thing you may want to consider is how you are going to drain the loop. There are lots of options for setting up a drain line - you don't need to be overly concerned about this right now - but good to give it some thought.

millertime359
09-30-2009, 10:10 AM
It's not a bad idea to order extra parts then. Ordering a couple extra 90s and 45s is also not a bad idea. I found when I first set my loop up, I found I was missing one fitting that I didn't realize I needed. It will add some extra money, but it can be a life saver having extra fittings on hand. :up:

Delemon
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I think I'll add a Bitspower G1/4 Temp sensor stop fitting, and a couple of the black stop fittings as well.

Are there any matte black 45 and 90-degree fittings anywhere? I've only found the straight ones.

EDIT: I may go for the shining silver, as I'd prefer them to all match if possible.

liguhy
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
what's the case that this is all going in?

Depending on that answer, a Typhoon III would be perfect since you're going D5 anyway - you wouldn't need the EK top as well with that route. The Typhoon III rocks for putting everything on one loop. It mounts into two 5.25 bays or can be mounted elsewhere with a bit of modding.

As for fittings: get some clamps of some sort if you're sticking with 1/2" ID (inner diamater) on 1/2" fittings. Also, most people have needed some kind of elbow fitting for connecting the CPU and mosfet/nb loop. I've seen the hardcore 90s work, but BP rotary 90s or 45s (best option) will eliminate kinks. Be sure to let your CPU get the water first.

Other than sorting out the fitting specifics and posting some pics/description of your case, it seems good to go.

EDIT: noticed you mentined your case after I posted. MM case - in other words no space problems. I'd go for the Typhoon then ;)

Delemon
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll be picking up one of the Black Pearl cases from Newegg until Mick64 can get his custom case built, or until I get off my arse and build a one-off myself, heh. Less expensive than the MM Pinnacle, and I have experience with Lian-Li cases as I have a V1000B already. Love the quality and can't beat the price on the Black Pearl.

I was going to go the 7/16ID tubing over 1/2" barbs.

EDIT: modified case choice

Gimmpy224
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I think for that price I would go with one of the MM cube cases.

But that's just this guys opinion ^_^.

From what I've seen they are a little easier to work with and extremely spacious.

Again, just an opinion.

Other than that you've got a great setup. :up:

shazza
09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Wellllll ... if you're going Black Pearl, you MUST do a work log :) It seems a bunch of us have Black Pearl build logs going at the moment, and I need some more inspiration 'cause I'm procrastinating a bit.

I think the matte black BP fittings are only available in the barbs and maybe a couple other miscellaneous ones - for continuity, you're best going with the silver as more options seem to be available. I like the Black Sparkle too, but they can be hard to get a hold of.

Delemon
09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I'll definitely post a worklog. There are some things I'd change before my components ever saw the insides, heh.

I am seriously considering trying to fabricate that custom design that Mick64 has. Going though trying to sell my house and buy another, so I'll likely be waiting on that fab though.

Delemon
10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Ok, have everything ordered... even down to fans and TIM... and every place sold out of the freakin' Heatkiller 3.0 LT. I have a *BACKPLATE* coming, but no Heatkiller :(

Wonder how long I'm gonna have to wait.

millertime359
10-06-2009, 05:31 AM
They out of stock again? :(

Might be a while, send an e-mail to Gary and ask. :)

Delemon
10-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Already sent the email =) He responded pretty quickly when I asked about the EK-FB Classified block when it was OOS.

Even PPC is out of the LT.

millertime359
10-06-2009, 06:17 AM
I think their shop is pretty small. They are also overseas and sounds like customs tends to like to hold the shipments on the way over.

Delemon
10-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I stand corrected! Gary emailed me back right quickly last night! I hadn't expected anything until today at the earliest. Kudos big time for customer support.

Unfortunately, he did confirm being out of the LT, with an ETA of "a couple weeks at least on that block" (Heatkiller 3.0 LT 1366). Perhaps I'll grab an Enzotech Sapphire while I wait.

millertime359
10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with that Sapphire. :up:

Delemon
10-06-2009, 06:55 AM
If I'm correct, I need to purchase one of these Enzotech Type-Z 1366 Retention Module (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708048) to go with one of these Enzotech SCW-REV.A CPU Waterblock (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708019), right?

millertime359
10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Just checked PPC, and they saw it comes standard with socket 775 and AM2 mounting hardware. 1366 requires Z bracket. So looks likes yes you do need that bracket.

Delemon
10-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Ordered! I wanna get this rig up and running!

Delemon
10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Package Process from Sidewinder
Activity
Oct 16, 2009 06:42 AM UKIAH, CA, US OUT FOR DELIVERY

WOOT! I'm ready to finally (horrible pun coming) get my feet wet, so to speak, with this WC stuff!

punkrockpolak
10-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow, took 10 days to ship? Hope to see some pics when you're done :)

Delemon
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
There was one piece that they were missing (dealing with the move still I think), so that delayed it a bit. Gary emailed me though and let me know. Top notch customer support!

Conumdrum
10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Delemon, take a read at this before you start installing, a guide.
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

Delemon
10-17-2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks for that link Conumdrum. I'm definitely excited to get started, but certainly in no hurry. I'll definitely be taking my time. I still have to figure out any and all mods I'll need to do to my Black Pearl, so at most I'll be doing a dry fit, then disassembling so I can either paint or powder coat the innards of the case. Once I get started, I'll be posting a work log. Need a reason to test out my Canon T1i :D

2000army
10-17-2009, 10:33 PM
where did you get the EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified block?

Delemon
10-18-2009, 12:16 AM
where did you get the EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified block?

SidewinderComputers.com, but it would appear that they are currently out of stock. Email Gary and I'm sure he'll respond pretty quickly with an ETA on restock.

millertime359
10-18-2009, 06:06 AM
SidewinderComputers.com, but it would appear that they are currently out of stock. Email Gary and I'm sure he'll respond pretty quickly with an ETA on restock.

Seems PPC is OOS too. I wonder why. :shrug: