PDA

View Full Version : Why SSAA and DX10 cen't work together In HD58X0 ?

IDANPE
09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
“Older games” is an important keyword here, as there is a catch to AMD’s SSAA implementation: It only works under OpenGL and DirectX9. As we found out in our testing and after much head-scratching, it does not work on DX10 or DX11 games. Attempting to utilize it there will result in the game switching to MSAA

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=14

why ?
This hardware or software problem?

So far I've seen some games that use DX10 (crysis/bioshock) run with SSAA on nvidia cards but I do not know for sure if they really run on DX10 at that Time.

We expect to see a similar problem with nvidia cards ?
I really hope not, I hate the normal MSAA :(

Thank you very much :up:

fellix_bg
09-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I think it's a pure driver compatibility concern, trying to avoid potential mess with the DX10+ titles and hence some bad [initial] impressions. If a developer is building a DX10+ title from the scratch, there are enough possibilities to implement much more proper and performance efficient AA method than both driver-provided SSAA and MSAA modes could offer.

IDANPE
09-24-2009, 03:24 AM
OK, any more comments / opinions ?
Does anyone know for sure the reason?

[+Duracell-]
09-24-2009, 09:57 AM
The next paragraph after that statement:

When we asked AMD about this, they cited the fact that DX10 and later give developers much greater control over anti-aliasing patterns, and that using SSAA with these controls may create incompatibility problems. Furthermore the games that can best run with SSAA enabled from a performance standpoint are older titles, making the use of SSAA a more reasonable choice with older games as opposed to newer games. We’re told that AMD will “continue to investigate” implementing a proper version of SSAA for DX10+, but it’s not something we’re expecting any time soon.

IDANPE
09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
This diplomatic response from AMD, they probably will not tell if their card has a problem with SSAA and DX10...

aNoN_
09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey, are we talking about SSAA achieved by using nHancer or what? AFAIK SSAA works in crysis in dx10 mode aswell. Not to mention it looks 5 times better than without ssaa.

IDANPE
09-24-2009, 05:58 PM
yap SSAA= Supersampling AntiAliasing.