PDA

View Full Version : what is nVidia's future?

Machinus
09-18-2009, 03:26 PM
-Intel is making more and more graphics chips and rapidly increasing the number of cores in CPUs, which could also be used for graphics.

-ATI is now a part of AMD so their product lines are destined to become more and more integrated with their CPU and chipset development, securing their chips.

-ARM dominates mobile chips and is likely to become even more popular as people move away from Windows.

Where does nVidia have to go? No matter what market they turn to they face steep competition from the these three major cpu manufacturers. Right now GeForce is lucrative but we all know there are changes coming with multipurpose processing, parallel computation, and the well known slowdown of the graphics industry.

Where do you see nVidia in 10 years?

KingOfsorroW
09-18-2009, 03:40 PM

In history. Intel's Department at best.

perkam
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I can summarize Nvidia's future in one word.

TEGRA.

Perkam

Frisch
09-18-2009, 05:27 PM
[Sarcastic mod on]

Trying to put a graphic card in your machine, and make some $

That's the headline anyway

Sorry, not very useful ; )

Machinus
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Well...so they aren't making chipsets anymore. Radeon seems to be doing well, and eventually larrabee will be useful for something...is cuda the only market they have left? It's quite small.

zanzabar
10-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Well...so they aren't making chipsets anymore. Radeon seems to be doing well, and eventually larrabee will be useful for something...is cuda the only market they have left? It's quite small.

once openCL gets its official drivers out in early next year i dont think that CUDA will last. NV will have tegra and they have atleast one more out but with this gen the snapdragon is faster at lower idle power and about the same load power.

i see them going back were they should have stayed as a dedicated high end gpu maker but im not sure how long that will be viable since it seams like they cant make a small gpu (so nothing new for laptops or mainstream use)

Jamesrt2004
10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
cuda will be fine it does run open cl c++ etc..

imo in ten years we will still be battling no matter what happens we need better and bigger graphics cards =D

Machinus
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
cuda will be fine it does run open cl c++ etc..

imo in ten years we will still be battling no matter what happens we need better and bigger graphics cards =D

I would agree except for the graphics market is not "open." Both Intel and AMD have direct development access to competing graphics technologies, and they will leverage this advantage first for performance and then ultimately for licensing, and I think nvidia will not be able to make money in the midrange segment (low power will certainly be out).

Jeffersonian
10-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I think nvidia's future is pretty bleak, personally.

ownage
10-09-2009, 02:40 AM
ATI sells more desktop GPU' s than nVidia nowadays.
I don' t know about mobile GPU's. I thought nVidia was still number 2.

madmax999
10-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Still PWNING ATI :bounces: :kissbutt:

zalbard
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/nvidia/pb/images/chip_keychain/lg_chip_keychain_01.jpg

I just couldn't resist, sorry guys! :rofl:

donmarkoni
10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Let's try this:

CPU will be used like now-days NB, just linking NVIDIA's Ultra-diverse-hyper-core-computational-cards, with some peripheral devices like bacteria-in-viscose-organic-liquid-drives that will store exa-bytes of data. You could have 6-8 PCI-Ultra-Express slots so you stick more of them when you need more power for your Virtual Reality game (helmet, gloves, suit, 3D ramp, just like in "lawnmower man"). :rofl:

OK, OK, now I'll go visit a shrink. :ROTF:

NaMcO
10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
You people try so hard, but who's in trouble ($$) is AMD/ATI not nVIDIA. I see nVIDIA in 10 years doing exactly the same thing they're doing now, video cards. Hope the rest will last till then. Don't forget nVIDIA outsells ATI by a LOT no matter what and don't forget ATI drivers completely... um... aren't good to be generous. Most people want stability no matter what the price/performance ratio.

zanzabar
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
You people try so hard, but who's in trouble ($$) is AMD/ATI not nVIDIA. I see nVIDIA in 10 years doing exactly the same thing they're doing now, video cards. Hope the rest will last till then. Don't forget nVIDIA outsells ATI by a LOT no matter what and don't forget ATI drivers completely... um... aren't good to be generous. Most people want stability no matter what the price/performance ratio.

im not sure when the last bad driver i had from ati was, there was the problems with the x1800/19xx but affter or before that i cant remember a driver problem. and in the last quarter NV lost a huge amount and was passed in discrete cards and they only hold onto the graphics numbers since people are contractually obligated to use the 9300/9400, once the i5/7 laptops are out they will fall into 3rd again

i cant see NV in anything but highend gpus, and then they might get bought by some1 like samsung

Machinus
10-09-2009, 01:05 PM
i cant see NV in anything but highend gpus, and then they might get bought by some1 like samsung

Is samsumg the company that could make best use of nvidia? Surely there is another chip developer that could use nvidia's development and brands batter?

Sailindawg
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Don't know where they'll be in 10 years, but for now, they should open up SLI (multi-gpu graphics processing) via drivers across all motherboards, regardless of chipsets or other contrived locks.

zanzabar
10-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Is samsumg the company that could make best use of nvidia? Surely there is another chip developer that could use nvidia's development and brands batter?

samsung dose arm and i could see them wanting tesla (maybe buying tesla like qualcom bought the ati mobile), they have alot of money, and they could benefit from having a gpu division. im not saying that its likely but its something that could happen

kuhla
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I can summarize Nvidia's future in one word.

TEGRA.

Perkam

Yea, I sort of feel the same way. If you really look at Tegra for what it is, a powerful and flexible system-on-a-chip, it actually can scale really well for a variety of media applications.

Regarding Nvidia's future in terms of video cards I think they would already do much better if they just fired their entire marketing/pr team and started over on that front. I think for a lot of people that issue alone is quite a sore spot.

lutjens
10-09-2009, 03:03 PM
In history. Intel's Department at best.

+1...I hope they end up in bankruptcy...I'm especially intolerant of the greedy and the controlling (which I suppose is why I'm no fan of Apple);). NVidia is a poster child for each of those. They implemented artificial locks into SLI to prevent functionality, going out of their way to attempt to force the consumer to purchase an inferior product (their chipsets) under the guise of "quality assurance". They then confused things again and to the nth degree when they locked out SLI functionality on a certain SLI certified system that used an Intel chipset with an NVidia bridge chip (the Dell Precision 690) and only permitted SLI when the Quadro was used. Again, attempting to extort money from the consumer by forcing them to use the incredibly expensive Quadro cards (that were actually slower in games) to overcome an artificial limitation.:mad:

Chumbucket843
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
+1...I hope they end up in bankruptcy...I'm especially intolerant of the greedy and the controlling (which I suppose is why I'm no fan of Apple);). NVidia is a poster child for each of those. They implemented artificial locks into SLI to prevent functionality, going out of their way to attempt to force the consumer to purchase an inferior product (their chipsets) under the guise of "quality assurance". They then confused things again and to the nth degree when they locked out SLI functionality on a certain SLI certified system that used an Intel chipset with an NVidia bridge chip (the Dell Precision 690) and only permitted SLI when the Quadro was used. Again, attempting to extort money from the consumer by forcing them to use the incredibly expensive Quadro cards (that were actually slower in games) to overcome an artificial limitation.:mad:
thats a really pathetic reason to want a company to go bankrupt. nvidia makes an amazing gpu.

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/nvidia/pb/images/chip_keychain/lg_chip_keychain_01.jpg

try and keep the thread a little more serious.

zanzabar
10-09-2009, 05:08 PM

i like the key chains, i just wish that they cut the pcb around the die so it was smaller

Chumbucket843
10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
i like the key chains, i just wish that they cut the pcb around the die so it was smaller

maybe nV could start making keychains. thats a great market if you havnt heard.

highoctane
10-09-2009, 06:05 PM
in the last quarter NV lost a huge amount and was passed in discrete cards

I'd like to see these numbers, got a link to the info?

lutjens
10-09-2009, 06:15 PM
thats a really pathetic reason to want a company to go bankrupt. nvidia makes an amazing gpu.

Thank you for your opinion, but I stand by my remarks. A businesses product is only a portion of the puzzle...I consider how they treat their customers to be equally, if not more important. NVidia has treated their customers very bad over the years with the SLI fiasco, the constant renaming of the same parts (which leads the uninformed to believe that the renamed parts are better) and poor quality GPUs in notebooks. Customers have repeatedly been done a disservice, one that stems from a company that thinks they can are more dominant than they are and that they can dictate policy to both customers and the industry.

Intel has shown them otherwise....;)

zanzabar
10-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd like to see these numbers, got a link to the info?

its a combo of the jpr for q2 and looking at the surplus of NV cards and lack of ati cards with ati expecting a 30% growth of 30-50% with only 20% in IGP were NV has 40%+ IGP and was expected grow by 20% with an initial total share of 28% with amd at 19% they should now be equal or with amd ahead by a small margin. this is my speculation and not posted but this is what i feel has happened (and im normally right).

im thinking that the descrete share will be amd 51 NV 48 and for graphics it will be ati 23 NV 25 and intel 50.

edit forgot the jpr link
http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/amd-soars-in-q209-intel-and-nvidia-also-show-great-gains/

highoctane
10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
its a combo of the jpr for q2 and looking at the surplus of NV cards and lack of ati cards with ati expecting a 30% growth of 30-50% with only 20% in IGP were NV has 40%+ IGP and was expected grow by 20% with an initial total share of 28% with amd at 19% they should now be equal or with amd ahead by a small margin. this is my speculation and not posted but this is what i feel has happened (and im normally right).

im thinking that the descrete share will be amd 51 NV 48 and for graphics it will be ati 23 NV 25 and intel 50.

Thats kinda what I figured...

As for Nvidia and ATI surplus what I've read is contrary to your speculation on supplies, it seems both parties are cutting supply.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20091005211032_Graphics_Cards_Suppliers_Accuse_ATI _Nvidia_of_Creating_Shortage_on_the_GPU_Market.htm l

We'll just have to wait and see what the q3 results look like but ATI definitely has the best chance they've had in a while to gain marketshare with the new lineup.

zanzabar
10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
numbers for q3 are out in a month or so right.

highoctane
10-09-2009, 07:11 PM
numbers for q3 are out in a month or so right.

They should be out soon, don't really have an exact time frame but I would say we should at least have some numbers from jpr this month.

Nightstar
10-09-2009, 09:18 PM
IMO Nvidia can merge with VIA and continue to design chips or they can watch their market share slip away until someone(Intel?) buys their IP for pennies on the dollar.

ownage
10-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Thats kinda what I figured...

As for Nvidia and ATI surplus what I've read is contrary to your speculation on supplies, it seems both parties are cutting supply.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20091005211032_Graphics_Cards_Suppliers_Accuse_ATI _Nvidia_of_Creating_Shortage_on_the_GPU_Market.htm l

We'll just have to wait and see what the q3 results look like but ATI definitely has the best chance they've had in a while to gain marketshare with the new lineup.

And I'm glad its not nVidia that gains marketshare. AMD still has financial trouble. Time for them to make some money.

nebj00la
10-21-2009, 03:41 AM

I see them being acquired or losing many customers, like they just did with me, if they don't change their ways drastically.

Mungri
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Nvidias future ......

This keychain = fully functioning USB graphics card :ROTF:

SteveLord
10-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I like the keychain there. THats hot. =)

ajaidev
10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
They should either sign a MOU with VIA and make x86 cpus with them, or if intel does not make a drama buy VIA and then make x86 cpus...

saaya
10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
-Intel is making more and more graphics chips and rapidly increasing the number of cores in CPUs, which could also be used for graphics.

-ATI is now a part of AMD so their product lines are destined to become more and more integrated with their CPU and chipset development, securing their chips.

-ARM dominates mobile chips and is likely to become even more popular as people move away from Windows.

Where does nVidia have to go? No matter what market they turn to they face steep competition from the these three major cpu manufacturers. Right now GeForce is lucrative but we all know there are changes coming with multipurpose processing, parallel computation, and the well known slowdown of the graphics industry.

Where do you see nVidia in 10 years?summed up very well...
jensen seems to be focusing on software. he just said in an interview that nvidia is a software company and that hardware will be so cheap to make in future... kinda contradicts HEAVILY with their r&d costs actually going higher with every gen, but nevermind...

but sure, jensen is going through this over and over again as he has to convince his employees, his partners, his investors and maybe himself as well that there is a future for nvidia and what it's going to be...
all he came up with was software... and thats indeed the only thing nvidia had nobody else has...

an all you guys falling for tegra, please...
tegra = arm + marketing...
all this talk about flexibility and power efficiency and 8 cores and switching parts of the processor on and off... thats what almost every arm processor does, they just dont talk about it like nvidia does...

They should either sign a MOU with VIA and make x86 cpus with them, or if intel does not make a drama buy VIA and then make x86 cpus...if theyd buy via, then via's x86 license would vanish back into the 6th dimension :D
x86 licenses are non-transferable afaik...

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
10-26-2009, 11:46 PM
if theyd buy via, then via's x86 license would vanish back into the 6th dimension :D
x86 licenses are non-transferable afaik...

This really makes me miss the old 6x86 CYRIX MX I had back in the day. I remember the noise my 1.6gb hard drive made was as loud as microwave popcorn. MEMORIES:p: