PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 heatsink

Mabyboi
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
So my xbox has recently been acting all funny, i have the halo 3 special edition xbox, and recently it wont recover some of my gam files, and when im running hdmi to my 24" 1080p monitor, i see alot of tearing and video lag... im going to open it up and dust it out, but i was also wondering if maybe there was a replacement heat sink available? that would help the xbox out? or better fans?

thanks!

RAW-Raptor22
09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
You could just send it back to MS when it goes as opposed to voiding the warranty...

Mabyboi
09-16-2009, 06:40 PM
i think its past the warranty, by a long shot...

RAW-Raptor22
09-16-2009, 06:41 PM
i think its past the warranty, by a long shot...

Its a 3 year warranty from Date of Manufacture. Check that on the sticker on the back. Mine was 3/19/06 so mine expired back in March, but I got it fixed before that. :p:

Chumbucket843
09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
you might as well do the towel trick and send it in to get a new one. they will put bigger heatsinks in your console. if not you can do it yourself easily.

Mabyboi
09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
2007-08-12.... i guess it is under warranty...ive started opening the case in the past, and i lifted one of the stickers, i didnt tear it, but i lifted it off.... only ONE sticker.... am i screwed?

Mabyboi
09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
towel trick? and its the halo 3 special edition one... i dont know if they would be able to replace it with the same one... i would hate to see it go :(

RAW-Raptor22
09-16-2009, 06:51 PM
towel trick? and its the halo 3 special edition one... i dont know if they would be able to replace it with the same one... i would hate to see it go :(

They send you back the same Xbox 9/10 times. I won my Xbox special in a sweepstakes from Ford Motor Company and thought the same thing you did but I got it back. :D

Mabyboi
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
what about my sticker? and i still dont know what the towel trick is :S

zanzabar
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
2007-08-12.... i guess it is under warranty...ive started opening the case in the past, and i lifted one of the stickers, i didnt tear it, but i lifted it off.... only ONE sticker.... am i screwed?

you can open it up and flash the dvd drive and they still honor the warranty if the sticker is there

the warranty is only 1 year unless u have the rrod or the e74 (i think its the 74 or the 73, but it displays whatever one of the screen), if it just is unstable or somehting then the warranty is not going to cover it.

as for replacement sicks just get some mx-2 and put replace the aluminum fail that they use it makes a huge difference, or u can make it RROD then get a replacement. the towel trick is put a towel over the console and watch it overheat repeatedly until it RRODs constantly even affter it cools down (i dont think that thats a good idea).

for the case they just shove new parts in, they dont replace anything on the non integrated pots or the case, unless u are lucky and get an hdmi from a non hdmi console

Mabyboi
09-16-2009, 06:56 PM
you can open it up and flash the dvd drive and they still honor the warranty if the sticker is there

the warranty is only 1 year unless u have the rrod or the e74 (i think its the 74 or the 73, but it displays whatever one of the screen), if it just is unstable or somehting then the warranty is not going to cover it.

as for replacement sicks just get some mx-2 and put replace the aluminum fail that they use it makes a huge difference, or u can make it RROD then get a replacement. the towel trick is put a towel over the console and watch it overheat repeatedly until it RRODs constantly even affter it cools down (i dont think that thats a good idea)

hmm so put some mx-2 under the sticker and it should look all good again? if i RROD it, how can i do that, and will they still honor a RROD with the sticker being tampered with? im sorry but i couldnt quite understand what you were saying XD

zanzabar
09-16-2009, 07:12 PM
no mx-2 under the heatsinks, i meant sinks but i guess i put sincks and spell check owned me

if the sticker looks messed up u can still rma and they will just send it back or ask for a repair fee and then send it back if they dont just ship is back out fixed since MS uses contractors and they get paid per console not if the consoles need fixing. can u post a pic of the sticker

Mabyboi
09-17-2009, 03:11 AM
yeah, im about to head to class. when i get back today ill show you guys the picture, and ill email microsoft... otherwise ill do it on my own, i dont have an issue with opening it up, i would prefer for it to be fixed no matter what though :D

deathman20
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I repaired one that was under warranty but the guys kid ripped the sticker up. So theoretically voiding warranty. The heatsink is defiantly better on the unit itself. Man would make all the difference if they just even put a low speed small fan on the secondary sink for the GPU. That can put off some heat. So if you do repair it, might i suggest you doing some tweaks to the inside cooling to help it cool the GPU better. Weather its modding the whole case or adding some internal extra fans to help.

Easily repaired yes, but if you can send it into MS. Rather it be covered then not IMO.

Mabyboi
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM
yeah, thanks, i will definantly be sending it to microsoft, i dont know what to claim it as for right now though... or if i should just forcefull red ring it...