PDA

View Full Version : EVGA Tech support USELESS

PoppaGeek
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
After carefully explaining the problems concerning the cranky 192 core GTX 260 I have, problems with games, F@H and GPUGrid all I get is:

Hello, It sounds like you may be running across some bad work units, but it is not a problem with the card, as your tests have shown, unfortunately with folding not every work packet will work or can even be guaranteed stable Thank you EVGA support

Nothing about all the failures in ALL things with ANY driver except one on one machine. I am so mad I can't even type.

3 cards. 2 work fine on either machine with 190.xx drivers and 1 does not. It fails in games, F@H and GPUGrid. I do not think it is my PCs.

When I bought this damn card I did not get what the pics on Newegg and EVGA web sites showed. I even sent them pics of what I got and they denied it. Where is the great service I have heard about?

shadowwind
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
i would never say their service is great i ran into a brick wall
with evga. i do not own any evga cards any more because of it,when i buy re-certs i get the XFX cards. i will get a sparkle
vid card before considering evga so i never need to deal with
them again.:shakes:one bad experience with one manager leads to a boycott of all their cards.:shakes:

i know a lot of people that love evga cards and i know a lot of people that hate them as i do. so if you like evga cards and had good luck with them then buy them.i bad mouth them enough for today and probably wont mention it again.:mad:

PoppaGeek
09-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Answered By Shannon R (09/16/2009 10:06:56 PM): Hello, If you would like we can submit for a replacement for you, But we were in now ay trying to blow you off. Please understand we are here to help you, and offer advice, or technical help. Now if your card is not functioning up to spec we can definitely submit it for warranty. Thank you EVGA support

And still did not answer any of my questions. I guess I just do not understand something. I thought they were tech people and would answer my questions about BIOS and drivers and make suggestions. Maybe they are just "feel good" people and there to issue RMAs. This is the second time I have tried to deal with an issue and again I am getting no where. Last time it was because the card I got and what was pictured on their web site and Neweggs were very different. I even sent them pics. They danced around and never admitted there was a difference. Oh well. I guess expecting competency and quality is being unreasonable in this day and age.

JacobF
09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey Poppageek,

Sorry for the experience, I sent you a PM requesting more details.

Thanks,
Jacob

PoppaGeek
09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Hey Poppageek,

Sorry for the experience, I sent you a PM requesting more details.

Thanks,
Jacob

Thank you for the interest. I have sent you a copy of the email.

PoppaGeek
09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Question (09/18/2009 2:57:41 PM): Can I get a different BIOS for this card from you? Does flashing the BIOS with another EVGA BIOS void the warranty? I cannot find a BIOS for a 192 core GTX 260 so I need it from you. Is there a chance a newer BIOS could help? How long is the number you gave me for a RMA good for? Thanks
Answered By Shannon R (09/18/2009 5:09:11 PM):

That is the latest support question I asked and the complete answer I got.:rofl:

Why do I keep trying? :shrug:

dengyong
09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
That is the latest support question I asked and the complete answer I got.:rofl:

Why do I keep trying? :shrug:

Where's the answer ?

PoppaGeek
09-18-2009, 05:19 PM
That's it. Blank. Nada. No answer. I copied it as is from email. At least I am now laughing instead of fuming mad. The only thing that they have accomplished so far. :rofl:

dengyong
09-18-2009, 05:37 PM
i would never say their service is great i ran into a brick wall
with evga. i do not own any evga cards any more because of it,when i buy re-certs i get the XFX cards. i will get a sparkle
vid card before considering evga so i never need to deal with
them again.:shakes:one bad experience with one manager leads to a boycott of all their cards.:shakes:

i know a lot of people that love evga cards and i know a lot of people that hate them as i do. so if you like evga cards and had good luck with them then buy them.i bad mouth them enough for today and probably wont mention it again.:mad:

That's it. Blank. Nada. No answer. I copied it as is from email. At least I am now laughing instead of fuming mad. The only thing that they have accomplished so far. :rofl:

They jacked me around enough to stop doing business with them as well....I've never seen a customer service department so disorganized.

cirthix
09-18-2009, 09:46 PM
They've been extremely helpful when I've had to contact them.

SamHughe
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Well..I think you are making things little too complicated for yourself. Why bother trying to explain all the problems you are having with the card? Just call them, tell them your card is not working properly and request an RMA. You obviously have a faulty card.
You asked yourself earlier: "Why do I keep trying?" So, don't. Just RMA the damn card and get another one.

PoppaGeek
09-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes I suppose you are right. But my life is complicated by circumstances I will not explain here. THere were reasons I thought it might work as it did under certain circumstances. It would have been best for me if I could get it to work. Since they called themselves TECH support I thought they might help.

Well I guess I was wrong. Damn, first time in my life too. Have never been wrong up until now. Well at least I have never lied, still have that going for me.;)

DAK1640
09-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech support my a$$...The only real place for tech support is forums like this one.
- Did you plug it into the right slot?
- Is there a monitor connected to the card?
- Did you remember to connect the PCI-E power?
- Is your computer plugged into the wall?
- Are you hungry ?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The IT department at my work is equally useless. "How do you know the VPN isn't working"? Duh...

PG, I agree with SamHughe, stop frustarting yourself and RMA the card, or try watercooling...The toilet works well...
Hope you get it all sorted out. We don't like seeing you with your undies in a bunch...:up:

shadowwind
09-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Tech support my a$$...The only real place for tech support is forums like this one.
- Are you hungry ?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The IT department at my work is equally useless. "How do you know the VPN isn't working"? Duh...

PG, I agree with SamHughe, stop frustarting yourself and RMA the card, or try watercooling...The toilet works well...
Hope you get it all sorted out. We don't like seeing you with your undies in a bunch...:up:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:thanks DAK the coffee i was drinking went down the wrong pipe from:rofl::rofl:

PoppaGeek
09-19-2009, 12:57 PM
- Are you hungry ?

I worked the support desk my first 3 months in my IT life. One lady I spent an hour with on the phone could not connect at all. These are the modems days now. So after having her try everything I could think of I finally asked if the modem line was plugged in the wall. Her reply, "No how would I talk to you on the phone dumb a$$.":rofl::rofl:

She got pissed at me for being so stupid and her having to buy a line spliter so she talk on the phone. I did not tell her she could not do both at same time. :p:

PoppaGeek
09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Found this thread at GPUGrid. Another guy having same exact issue with his card. 182.50 worked fine, newer drivers + failed WUs. Also chumbucket843 saying similar. I am afraid whatever EVGA tech does to test the card will pass and they will send it back. My panties in a bunch will seem mild compared to how I will be if they send it back.:upset::cussing::soap::dammit::nono::cord:

I am going to sit things out until I can get another PSU and try it on Linux. By then maybe Nvidia will have a new driver to try. I still think it is a driver issue. Nvidia changed something to a particular model of 260 and forgot to tell the driver devs. May continue to email tech support just to see if I stumble upon a live one. Hell someone might actually answer a question! :eek:

shadowwind
09-19-2009, 02:15 PM
good lord poppa just call evga and then get put on hold for 30mins for a tec ask question then get put on hold for 45mins then ask another question like bios flashing then your on hold for 1 hour in the end you will rma the card.:shakes:thinking to your self what the hell was that all about and walk a way :shrug: like their tec support,:rofl:

dengyong
09-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Evga tech told me to send a card back with the origial invoice.

I told him I bought the card directly from evga and didn't get an invoice.

He said he would send me one.

I reply... you want to send me an invoice, to send back to you....that's retarded.

The tech puts me on hold while he talks to a supervisor....

From start to finish the whole thing took a little over a month and a half with lots of lies from evga.

PoppaGeek
09-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Evga tech told me to send a card back with the origial invoice.

I told him I bought the card directly from evga and didn't get an invoice.

He said he would send me one.

I reply... you want to send me an invoice, to send back to you....that's retarded.

The tech puts me on hold while he talks to a supervisor....

From start to finish the whole thing took a little over a month and a half with lots of lies from evga.

:rofl::rofl:

cowie
09-19-2009, 04:19 PM
i used to be the biggest evga fanboy till they done me wrong a few months back,paid 60 next day air and got snail mail 5 -7day and when i call them up they tell me they cant do anything about it now.so i went to cry on there forums but they deleted all of my lunatic ranting + the f'ers still got my 50 bucks.
today as a matter of fact i needed to send in a dead 420usd mb to them but not for nothing the sevrice today was above par....but they still got my 50 bucks wtf??

Envydia007
09-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I never had a bad experience with EVGA I got like 5 graphics cards since registered to them.

Vivi
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
ROFL at this trhead. AHAHAH

Ok just gathering data the guys who registered their products seemed to have the least problems

INFRNL
09-19-2009, 05:06 PM
You guys are scaring me as I have 6 evga 275's and 1 BFG. I hope that I do not run into problems with my cards.

PG, I hope that you get it worked out and my offer still stands if you need me to test it on one of my rigs.

shadowwind
09-19-2009, 05:14 PM
hmm all 8 of my evga cards was registered when i first installed them. so whats your point, you wont get the run around if you register them, not true to bad i sold them off to none gpugrid crunchers or folding at home people because they wont work.and helping out others is what i like to do with my vidcards.:D so going to another brand seems to be working good now.:up:

PoppaGeek
09-19-2009, 06:00 PM
ROFL at this trhead. AHAHAH

Ok just gathering data the guys who registered their products seemed to have the least problems

I have all my cards registered with EVGA. As it is going though I will give XFX a try next time I buy.

PoppaGeek
09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I think this thread is getting some attention from people who do not normally visit this GPUGrid forum. The issues we have here are not like in the video card forums where someone can't play a game. GPU science computing is still relatively new and many times we spend alot of time trying to figure out if the problems we have are hardware, the model of card, overclock, driver, Boinc version or the science app running. Many here are running 3 cards or more, INFRNL has 6 or 7 as does shadowwind and I think Dak has 11 or 12. We rely on each other for tech support. This is not like trying to get a game running on a new driver even as tough as that can be.

I emailed EVGA Tech Support asking a couple of questions. One I have asked twice. Can I get a different BIOS from EVGA to try. I have not received an answer to that or the other questions. If you have not had any problems with EVGA then I am glad for you. I just want a simple yes/no answer to a few questions.

I do not think there is a hardware fault with the card except that it won't use any of the newer driver versions. A newer one in future may or may not be my fix. A different OS with different drivers may do it. And whether I am an idiot or not does not matter as the guys here are not and I would bet a hell of alot more on these guys helping me get it fixed than anyone that answers EVGA Tech Support and 95% of the people in the video card forums.

So thanks for dropping by and enjoy the thread as we like to laugh here too.

While you are here you could always join us and install Boinc and GPUGrid too! :up:

shadowwind
09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
poppa thank you that was a post that was needed for the none grid people,hmm but a idiot you are not i know what you are doing and what you are trying to do with evga i tried those same tactics i hope it works for you and you get your answer soon.:up:

PoppaGeek
09-20-2009, 12:20 AM
You guys are scaring me as I have 6 evga 275's and 1 BFG. I hope that I do not run into problems with my cards.

PG, I hope that you get it worked out and my offer still stands if you need me to test it on one of my rigs.

Tempting offer. I sent back a OCZ 600 watt PSU for RMA. Should get it back before first of month. Then gonna put 260 on Linux and give her a go. If that does not work I may send it to ya see what you get out of it. IIRC you are running Win7. I think it was under WIN7 that it worked. Maybe it does not like AMD chipsets. :shrug:

Chumbucket843
09-20-2009, 11:50 AM
i started a poll for your favorite card manufacturer so you can express your hate for evga.:p::stick:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234864

GPUGRID uses ACEMD for its simulations.

PoppaGeek
09-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow I got a reply on Sunday. Replied to my email that the last response was empty and asked if I had gotten the BIOS they sent me. So waiting for reply as I did not get it.

So +1 for EVGA tech support for answering on a Sunday.

INFRNL
09-20-2009, 04:12 PM
@PG, I am currently running win7 on 3 rigs (I7 920's), Vista on Q9550. I do have an old amd rig that is on xp and folding a 9800gt. I cannot install due to something wrong with system. I can run a 1gb stick of ram but no matter what it will not let me run more than 1 stick in any fashion, so I am limited to xp.<<<I will have to double check but I am sure its on xp.

I will have a new rig coming in the next couple weeks I hope. Not sure what I want to do with the cpu yet: more than likely will put it on WCG, but was thinking about running it on f@h like RR. Problem is I know nothing about linux, I messed with it a tiny bit years ago when AMD was whooping up on intel, but Linux changes a lot I think and they always have new versions. Not sure what to do :shrug:

PoppaGeek
09-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I have not done alot with Linux in the last 3 years but Ubuntu is pretty clean, easy to install and most important a good package manager that makes adding software easy. It seems well supported. While there are at least 2 linux distro's built to setup and run WCG easily they do not always use the latest kernel.

I have been following the large WU thread on F@H and I would install whatever everyone else is using as it is easier to get help with problems. OK just cheked and RR is using Ubuntu 8.04 which is what I am using. Dotsch (http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/Dotsch_UX.html) is built from Ubuntu 8.04 and installs Boinc ready to run.

So RR and I can try and help ya with any Linux or WCG or F@H problems.

In years past I ran either at home or in my jobs, Red Hat, Fedora, Slackware, Mandrake and FreeBSD, Solaris and AIX and SCO. Ubuntu is based on Debian and debian is known for stability and package management. Ubuntu makes it easier. So I have lots to compare it to and I think it a good choice.:up:

PoppaGeek
09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
i started a poll for your favorite card manufacturer so you can express your hate for evga.:p::stick:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234864

GPUGRID uses ACEMD for its simulations.

gesundheit

:ROTF:

Computurd
09-20-2009, 07:58 PM
EVGA has handled a RMA for me with no probs before.

PoppaGeek
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
EVGA has handled a RMA for me with no probs before.

Yes they seem good at that, not much else so far. :rolleyes:

PoppaGeek
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Received BIOS from EVGA. Now to figure out how to make certain it is for my card. Sorry at this point not feeling too trusting. It is named 1260.nvr. What do I do with a *.nvr file? Nibitor opens *.bin and *.rom files. Guess I'll look around EVGA kinda lost here.

Planet
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Received BIOS from EVGA. Now to figure out how to make certain it is for my card. Sorry at this point not feeling too trusting. It is named 1260.nvr. What do I do with a *.nvr file? Nibitor opens *.bin and *.rom files. Guess I'll look around EVGA kinda lost here.

YGPM

DAK1640
09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
It's a GPU that doesn't work...you have nothin to lose, go for it...:up:

PoppaGeek
09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
YGPM

Thanks Cpt. gonna give it a try! :up:

Planet
09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks Cpt. gonna give it a try! :up:

No problem just reply to my email and let me know what happens.

Jake

PoppaGeek
09-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Got a nice BIOS flash CD iso from Cpt Planet and flashed BIOS. It was a different numbered BIOS.

Put 192 back in PC with 190.63 and errored out WU in less than 3 minutes. Played LOTRO for 30 mins locked up PC. Installed 182.50 and locked up in game within 20 minutes. Nothing different.

PoppaGeek
09-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I give up, submitted for RMA. I hope I do not get the same card back. :shakes:

Kal-EL
09-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Did you get any help from JacobF?

PoppaGeek
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Did you get any help from JacobF?

Did not hear back from him.

Kal-EL
09-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Did not hear back from him.

Cold, lonely, isolated, shunned and abandoned by Tech Support, u must have the cheese touch :shrug:

Hope u get better luck with the rma card, check for dust bunnies ;)

resident1509
09-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I give up, submitted for RMA. I hope I do not get the same card back. :shakes:

EVGA never sends the same card back. Always a pre-tested and ready card to maximize turnaround.

PoppaGeek
09-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I like EVGA. I have bought 5 cards that were all EVGA. This card is the first problem I have had with them. Their tech support people seem nice and obliging. But I have had problems getting simple answers to simple questions, getting a BIOS file that I could do something with and really feeling like they were not reading my problem reports. They sent me a card that has a bare PCB back. No big deal but the picture on their web site and Neweggs showed a plastic cover on the back. I had no problems with it then and simply told them about it so they could correct their web site. I even sent pictures of what I got. Denial. That's I got in return. OK whatever. But all that has transpired this time has really strained the relationship.

I hesitated to start this thread and almost deleted it twice. But I was getting no where but pissed and it helped to vent a bit. Depending on what I get back and how it works or does not work will depend if I ever buy another card from them. I like the cards, Precision, the free games, their participation and support of F@H and their forums. I have 2 GTX 260s that have been so far flawless. A 6800 in my grandkids PC that still works fine and a 8800GT in my daughters that is still going strong. I do NOT hate EVGA or think they are a bad company.

But my experience with the tech support who have answered my emails have not read what I wrote, not answered my questions an implied I cannot tell the difference between a card with a bare PCB and one covered with plastic. All they had to do was say "thanks" and it would have been over but no they argued. Whatever. I dunno if people need more training, are over worked, too much pressure or just don't care. But there is definitely a problem, or two.

I THOUGHT I heard that they checked video cards as they came in and if they worked ok they sent them back. May be wrong on that and hope I am. But that is my fear now is that I'll get the same card back because they got it to pass their tests.

We'll see what happens. No one wants a happy ending more than I do.

Equinediver
09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I have nothing but praise for EVGA's CS. Whenever I have had a problem with a product RMA has always been good.

Recently I contacted their CS asking for a set of screws for a 280, I'd WC'd it and then wanted to go back to air, but had lost the original screws. I got a reply back that they didn't have the screws, but when I got the email asking how I rated their CS I said I wasn't too happy etc. I promptly got an email back saying this is what their support people are told to say, but if I sent them shipping details the screws would be sent out. I received them in under a week.

I can call them up in the middle of the night & there is someone who speaks English who can help or arrange an RMA.

I changed from Asus to EVGA several years ago, for all our high end builds we use nothing but EVGA, if you have a problem with one of their staff I suggest you take it to a higher level.

PoppaGeek
10-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Wanted to follow up and close this thread, hopefully no more problems.

Got another card from EVGA. It is a 192 core like the one I sent back but this one has the plastic cover on the back. So far it has played a total of about 6 hours of LOTRO with no issues. Has completed 9 F@H WUs. There were some errors but with the 576x WUs which are known to error on GTX 260s especially. GPUGrid fails on it but so do alot of GTX 260s. I _THINK_ this card is ok.

I still like EVGA cards, RMA process is ok, forums are good and I like the way they support DC, especially F@H. Still not impressed with customer support. Luck of the draw maybe. I have owned 6 EVGA cards and had problems with only one, and they were willing to swap it with no problems. A little more training for some of their tech support people might have avoided all this. No one at any time was impatient or rude. They just did not answer my questions.

Naja002
10-15-2009, 02:59 AM
One thing to keep in mind is the EVGA step up program. Some of the 260's are known issues...so, even though it may cost some more $$$...it might be worth a step up in order to buy your way out of the problem.....instead of repeatedly dealing with all the bs.....:shrug:

Glad to see that it may have finally turned out well for you though....:up:

PoppaGeek
10-15-2009, 04:23 PM
One thing to keep in mind is the EVGA step up program. Some of the 260's are known issues...so, even though it may cost some more $$$...it might be worth a step up in order to buy your way out of the problem.....instead of repeatedly dealing with all the bs.....:shrug:

Glad to see that it may have finally turned out well for you though....:up:

Yes at one point I considered that. But I considered it for too long and time ran out. :rofl:

Still doing ok on F@H. Keeping fingers crossed.