PDA

View Full Version : Problems with reading a .pdf

moiraesfate
09-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I figured you guys might know the answer to this.

I have a .pdf thats driving me batty.

There's a high res version, and an optimized version and I've tried both.

Here's the error messages I keep getting with different types of viewers. I've looked all over the net for solutions and can't find any thats actually helpful to me.

High res
Adobe error = There was a problem reading this document (107).
pdf-exchange viewer = Error [Structure 40]: Invalid Property Type
Sumatra = Error loading PDF file.

Optimized
Adobe error = File does not begin with %PDF-
pdf-exchange viewer = Error [Structure 40]: Invalid File Format
Sumatra = Error Loading PDF file.

Can anyone help me with what the problem actually is? Its incredibly aggravating.

Oh, let me add that the high res version does work on the latest adobe, but not on anything else. The optimized version doesn't work on anything.

Particle
09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
What are you using to create this PDF to begin with?

moiraesfate
09-17-2009, 06:41 AM
I didn't create them, someone else did.

XS_Rich
09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Have you tried opening them in Photoshop?

moiraesfate
09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
I hadn't even thought of that. No I haven't. I'll have to wait till I get home, but I'll give it a shot.

faster3200
09-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Have you tried opening them in Photoshop?

Actually I think Illustrator might work better, being as it is a vector program and PS is raster. Both should work though (assuming you are using newer versions). .pdf and .ai are actually (nearly) the same file type.

Are you sure it isn't corrupt? A 107 error usually means just that. The great thing about .pdfs being vector files is that they are entirely math and thus can be recovered should it come to that.

moiraesfate
09-17-2009, 01:43 PM
The thing is, why would it work just fine then in the newest version of adobe (with the latest update, which I can't look at at work because the IT dep says they can't upgrade adobe or we would no longer be able to access an important program we use. The company is too cheap to upgrade that program), but not in any other versions?

But yes, I'll try that. Unfortunately, I still have 15 minutes left at work. :) I'll let you guys know if it works when I get home.

It seriously never even remotely occurred to me to do that. I didn't know photoshop or illustrator could open those files.

Even if I have to print screen it, then save it as an image, its better than nothing.

BustaH
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
try foxit pdf editor?

moiraesfate
09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
try foxit pdf editor?

Foxit leaves traces on the computer, which could be bad if the big bad boss catches me. My direct manager doesn't care, but the big manager of the company probably would. Adobe wouldn't be bad since its there already. The other two don't leave traces and can be run off a thumb drive.