PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer VSX-10xx series (1018 vs. 1019)

WVUEcoCarTech
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone have any good info on the difference. So far all I've really found is negative towards the 1019 vs. 1018.

Key things i've come across:

-1018 is 10lbs Heavier vs. 1019, mainly due to it using the Elite series amps while the 1019 now uses amp from the lower series

-1019 is lower power output

-1019 has only one extra HDMI than 1018

-1019 has much better Ipod/Iphone compatibility (not a big deal)

-1019 DROPS THX

-1019 drops Pre-outs besides sub. (also not a big deal)

Anyone know of the sound quality difference or video upscaling quality differences? One are the different processors they use if at all? Is it that much better?

currently I have a VSX-1015 which is a beast but lacks HDMI and TruAudio capability. Just trying to figure out if its worth the upgrade

coyotetu
09-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Upgrading to the 1018 would indeed be worth it, if you can source one. I would go with that over the 1019 even if at a premium. Weight is indicative of quality, especially with that much of a disparity, when they're both already relatively low weight, I would think the 1019 to have a rather flimsy feel to it. Perhaps the pre-outs don't matter to you now, but having added external amps to some of my previous receivers and experiencing the sonic improvements, I'd never buy a receiver without 7.1. pre-outs.

Things can only be better on the 1018 with the weight difference, no software/decoding/upscaling makes up that difference (I'd say short of HQV processing, receivers generally upscale pretty poorly, I wouldn't base my decisions on that at this price point).

One telling thing that you mentioned is that the 1019 does not have THX modes, I'd have to interpret that, in this case as meaning the 1019 does not pass the minimum performance specifications that THX imposes on products that bear their sound processing modes.

tl;dr, if you can, get the 1018.

WVUEcoCarTech
09-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Well, the reviews i've been seeing have been very positive. Mainly the Cnet.com editors reviews make me more confused. They say the sound from the 1019 is the best they've ever heard in the price range and decent upscaling. However the 1018 review they say rather similar things. just not sure which to go with if the same people are reviewing the products and claiming the same things about them just at different times.

coyotetu
09-15-2009, 04:46 PM
They may sound similar at lower decibels, but I'd put money on the 1018 providing more decibels at lower distortion, much more capably than the 1019 (e.g. handling dips in impedance).

The ratings and perceptions on such sites can be rather spotty, I find Cnet to judge everything relative to currently produced models, they even downrate alot of older products because they lack the new fads and gimmicks. The universal concensus on the model changes from the 1019 vs the 1018 is that the 1018 is the more capable, fuller-featured product.

big poppa pump
09-16-2009, 04:06 AM
I would spend the extra and go with the 1018 if you can find one. Higher quality amps, excellent preamps, and THX certification just kinda sums it up.

Vinas
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I own the VSX1019AH model because I got a good deal on it as a floor model.

So far I blew up a single pair of speakers with this amp... That was a bad experience. Luckily insurance got them replaced :up:

Sound quality is excellent and for the price you will _not_ find a lower THD. Depending on what you're driving I would say go for the 19... If your speakers need more than about 250watts or 80watts RMS then go for the 18 model. I found that I have to turn up the volume a little higher that I'd like to at times (about 60 on the digital dial) because I like to listen to loud stereo music too.

IMHO you can't go wrong either way. Setup is a pain on both amps I'm guessing. It took me a while to get things configured along with the sub crossover. Once I set everything (remember it takes about a week to tweak) it's been great. I think I set the sub crossover to 150 to match up well with my klipsch quintet III (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/quintet-iii-specifications/) paired with a powered cerwin vega 15" sub.

The clarity is really impressive with this amp. I chose this over Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo that were in the 1019's class.

WVUEcoCarTech
09-16-2009, 05:11 PM
^thanks. I'm powering a full set of larger klipsch towers that eat power for breakfast along with two old sony towers at the rear. power COULD be an issue, not sure. The speakers overloaded my old pioneer with ease, but when i got the 1015, i can crank that until i go deaf and be fine, just gets SUPER hot.

coyotetu
09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
"Power hungry" speakers and onboard amps getting hot seems to denote impedance dips, in this case the 1018 would be more capable, I'm sure.

Used to have a VSX-92TXH, Pioneer has made some really good stuff, it pains me to see them go down the declining build quality road along with the other CE's.

WVUEcoCarTech
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
"Power hungry" speakers and onboard amps getting hot seems to denote impedance dips, in this case the 1018 would be more capable, I'm sure.

Used to have a VSX-92TXH, Pioneer has made some really good stuff, it pains me to see them go down the declining build quality road along with the other CE's.

I've always been a pioneer fan, the last 5 years or so they've really really impressed me versus the past, however this year...not so much with the release of the 1019. its like once they get there base back they switch to 'cheap mode' again. :down::down:

Donnie27
10-06-2009, 11:07 AM
I've always been a pioneer fan, the last 5 years or so they've really really impressed me versus the past, however this year...not so much with the release of the 1019. its like once they get there base back they switch to 'cheap mode' again. :down::down:

You really need to go and hear it for yourself. IMHO, I didn't hear a drop off at all. In fact, I thought both were over kill.

I have big DIYer speakers that used to be Bi-AMP. Now my lowly Pioneer VSX-819H is powering them solo LOL! Like the other guy, I returned a Yamaha in the same price range. Sounded great but couldn't push my speakers. Again, find a place to demo it!? 818 and 817 couldn't push these like the 819 does.

WVUEcoCarTech
10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
^not any place around here to hear them. I'm in WV where your only options are Best buy or Sears for electronic viewing and buying lol. Until i go home for breaks that is.

Donnie27
10-08-2009, 05:14 AM
^not any place around here to hear them. I'm in WV where your only options are Best buy or Sears for electronic viewing and buying lol. Until i go home for breaks that is.

Yes, don't depend on weight unless they've not updated the Amp. IMHO, this is not a nVidia like name upgrade only! Even our Best Buy has a Demo/listening room.