PDA

View Full Version : Next years rig

m1013828
09-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Okay, so im plannin a fair way in advance for this rig.... (have a wedding to pay for first) and i intend to create a setup with highend case and cooling solution to last many builds, replacing the guts and blocks only. This will be my 3rd watercooling build, previously i was inspired by some rather basic modded watercooling setups on overclockers.co.nz however after becoming a member of this forum i saw some awesome work by snipe dogg etc.
my aim is extreme performance, with minimal noise. so rad size has to go up and out.... And Function over form, but still as much form as i can squeeze in (the case has to last several builds so i want it looking class(unlike my current thermaltake tai chi))

my last rig cost 6k nz excluding peripherals as a private in the nzarmy, now im a corporal my next one i aim for 10k nz, (about 7k US at the exchange rate)

Im thinking of doing a P80 or TJ07 in a similar colour scheme as Snipe Doggs P80 ( i have no creative flair) white interior with blue highlights. No coloured coolant, just blue PRO LRT tubing and the odd blue led in reservoir.

To minimise modding i will try and get a massive custom built rad sandwich, a brushed aluminium version of what is on mountain mods but tall as that can hold 4 480mm rads.
1 per X2 GPU, one for mobo and ram, and one for cpu

im obviously not setting hardware in stone at this early stage, although itd take a lot to convince me to go nvidia.............

my modding/ build questions are this.

with a highend highflow waterblock (enzotech sapphire or Heatkiller 3) would there be a benefit in using 2 D5 pumps into a low restriction (feser) rad with push pull config (typhoons) or would heat dump negate the benefit of the highflow?

Also the light blue mirror finish on the enzotech sapphire, is that a special kind of plating? i reckon itd look really nice if i could put that on some other waterblocks to make them all match.

the EVGA classified motherboards, is their a way to put a permanent voltage monitor onto those points? Im thinking if you could manage one of those VFD displays like in daniels murderbox hooked up to a voltage monitor for cpu voltage or similar it would be a great mod, maybe even a switch/dial to alternate between component readings...... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213395&page=5

Backside of motherboard..... has anyone stuck an additional cpu block with some thermal pads on the backside of the mobo before? im curious as to how hot it gets back there, maybe this would help at high voltages for 24/7 operation?

A far less serious question.... instead of nickel plating, why doesnt someone try silver.. it conducts heat better!

look forward to some responses! and thanks to all you with buildlogs that have inspired me to do more than just cut a box up and put on some wheels

Bit Image
09-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Best advise I can give is to put off the wedding as long as you can! Your women will get your money one way or another so you better build your machine now.

Caoder
09-14-2009, 11:31 AM
silver is expensive and nickle won't block the thermal transfer much because its just a thin plate.

m1013828
09-14-2009, 09:41 PM
yeah, everyone keeps saying... tits and wheels will cost ya money.... Im basically trying to get a high quality looking rig, without too much compromising, like internal rads etc. So no ones tried silver? A family member works in an Air Force electroplating bay so i may get a few things done to match each other at a good rate

SNiiPE_DoGG
09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
wait so are you doing an external radbox or an internal sandwich of rads? the language you used to described that part is a bit confusing ;)

the most rad you could possibly fit in the p80 is a 480 (pa140.3 would be my choice as it will perform better than a 480 rad) and a 360 in the bottom. I know you said you want to minimize modding but to make rad holes all you need is a decent ruler, a piece of MDF to clamp to the chassis and a hole saw for the 120mm holes - works really well this way :up:

m1013828
09-14-2009, 11:05 PM
nah i plan on keeping the rads stacked externally, i dont wanna cut too many holes in a brilliant case and change my mind in a few months, i might change my mind and swap my planning to 140.3 or .4 rads closer to the time if more variety in fans begin to appear, everyones on about the typhoons, even though they have a rather large motor which can lead to deadspots in the middle, which would make them a perfect candidate for upgrading to 140mm....... i have silenx fans from when i had less knowledge.... never again!

this will be my first serious attempt at modding so i intend to make it last.

m1013828
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
So i can get Silver plating of my blocks done for cheap. that deals with the distilled plus silver recipe! (my only usefull contact is an electroplater) compared with the aircraft engine parts they do, a cpu/gpu block would use bugger all silver and probably be within the margin of error.. Although he did say its going to take a fair bit of buff and polish to get it looking close to a nickel block.

I would just really like it if enzotech had more blocks with that light blue finish. or someone told me their secret recipe?
im still interested if anyone chucked a heat sink on the back of the cpu socket and ever recorded an improvement, not that i can find a low profile waterblock to fit in that gap so far. but i could hide an unsightly hole in the case with radiators if it was worth it.

I also did some research into UV powder coat. this is all i could find http://www.dualglo.com/powder.html I have not seen it done before but i suspect its going to be prohibitively expensive to order.

As for the Rads, im considering setting it sup on the side of a case like a MoRa, just 4X4 instead of 3X3, should cool plenty on low RPM fans!
Will possibly get UN Designs guy to make a fan grill to keep the rads together, i saw he did something similar for a Mountain mod black/white build recently