PDA

View Full Version : Kill A Watt readings

PoppaGeek
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Did some Kill A Watt readings (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rYPquhU1dvJZqYsekcZvqfw&output=html) on 810 with 2 GTX 260 (216) at idle, WCG, WCG & F@H and WCG & GPUGrid. WCG & GPUGrid used 5 watts less than F@H alone. GPUGrid used 108 watts and F@H 152. WCG used about 35 - 39 watts.

shadowwind
09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
hmmm might be cheaper to stay on the gpugrid this winter on my electric bill.
gas here is going up fast the last few weeks when gas goes up so doesn't every thing else,:shakes:

also noticed old ubuntu consumes less power than your windows computers why is that? if i could figure out how to get my gpus going in ubuntu
i wonder what the power consumption would be.

shadowwind
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
hey pops im thinking of building a little ITX amd jetway with a 1354 cpu in a rosewell itx case with a 250
psu it would be used for wcg only what would be a good guesstimate on that little setup with ubuntu as the OS, for power draw from the wall.:D

PoppaGeek
09-15-2009, 12:19 AM
130 watts assuming IGP.

PoppaGeek
09-15-2009, 12:35 AM
hmmm might be cheaper to stay on the gpugrid this winter on my electric bill.
gas here is going up fast the last few weeks when gas goes up so doesn't every thing else,:shakes:

also noticed old ubuntu consumes less power than your windows computers why is that? if i could figure out how to get my gpus going in ubuntu
i wonder what the power consumption would be.

The older Windows versions always ran a CPU hotter than Linux. I was a little surprise that the newer ones had not improved in that way. IIRC UNIX uses a HALT command, I think that is it, to tell the CPU to shut down and Windows does not, when it does not have work to do. This is not when the PC is idle but when the CPU is waiting for something from memory or cache. Lots of nano seconds in a HALT state mean less heat and power.

It's been a long time and things may have changed but I think I got that right.