PDA

View Full Version : Can't re-install BOINC / WCG

David_L6
09-13-2009, 01:27 AM
I had WCG running on a different hard drive than the OS is on and that drive died. Now I can't re-install onto either C drive or another drive that's in the computer. Keep getting and error - Invald Drive: F:\ - when I try to run the installer. I've tried deleting everything I can find that's either BOINC or World Community Grid. I've tried saving to desktop and running and just running from WCG Home Page. Nothing so far has worked. Any ideas?

PoppaGeek
09-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Still some settings somewhere, maybe registry.

EDIT: Did a registry search and there are path statements for Boinc.

DAK1640
09-13-2009, 02:31 AM
What OS are you using? BOINC is tricky

David_L6
09-13-2009, 02:37 AM
It's XP Pro 32 bit.

David_L6
09-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Still some settings somewhere, maybe registry.

EDIT: Did a registry search and there are path statements for Boinc.

I don't know anything about the Registry. Since I don't know I don't want to just go in and start deleting things.

Something (may be in the Registry) is causing the installer to point to F drive and that drive is dead. F drive isn't even hooked up.

David_L6
09-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Until I get Boinc to install somewhere on this thing I have a QX6700 that's normally crunching 24/7 sitting idle. :(

MikeB12
09-13-2009, 05:41 AM
just unistall everything boinc. then start run regedit, find "boinc" and start hitting the delete key and f3 to find next until it's all gone. delete your old boinc data AND program folders wherever you put that last time, and install it fresh and go through the setup again... create your new program and data locations, then run setup, click advanced to set all your new locations, install it and connect to world community grid..

if that doesn't work then something is amiss in the os.. reassign the new drive to a different letter maybe.

David_L6
09-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Finally figured it out. I had to go into Registry (didn't like doing that!) and delete: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Space Sciences Laboratory, U.C. Berkeley.

WCG is up and running again now.