PDA

View Full Version : X58 cooling NB/SB,VRM needed

lowboy
09-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Is WCing really needed on chipset or vrm when maxing out a 920. Have great case air flow. If so what is the best mobo to go with as some have heatpipes which require VRM block also. Seems as though most good X58 boards will clock about the same ,so comes down to bios and mobo problems and lay out. Suggestions on mobo,blocks WELCOME! but please say why. You can see system in sig be replacing only CPU,ram and mobo. Thanks!:)

Loop 1:DD2 w/xspc top,mcr 320,EK supLT
Loop 2:D5 EK top,mcr320,EK4870

Conumdrum
09-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Probably not. You can go water on the mobo parts, but first try it without, you might be fine on air.

Of course the HK CPU block, you got the rest of the stuff, you should be fine with one big loop and both MCR320's

Splave
09-12-2009, 07:13 AM
not needed at all, have the classified block by EK and its unnecessary

Bojamijams
09-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Well the classified has a monstrous passive NB cooling solution so compared to that, a WB is probably unneccessary but the X58 SLI mobo has that annoying 40mm fan on the NB which will drive you nuts (it does for me on the 750i and I replaced it with a 60mm!)

lowboy
09-12-2009, 07:34 AM
That's what I thought. Have been leaning towards the GB mobos even though the last time I used a GB mobo for my personal rig was in the old P4 days.ha ha Are the UD4/UD5 good solid boards. The EVGAs warranty looks good but not too sure of the bios and board. I hate picking mobos when none are clearly the "best overclocking mobo". Though some like the classified have some nice features. Thanks for the input.:up: