PDA

View Full Version : Which drives for SSD Raid ?

ic3m4n2005
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a few ssds this weekend.
So how do i get a fast Raid 0 array ? And it should stay fast, since i will be slapping some GB's of data on it every day.
What i've in mind and so you can guess my budget:
2x 80GB Intel Postville or
3x 60GB OCZ Vertex/ ST Ultradrive or
???

I need about 200 GB of space, so with the above option i'm already cutting everything short :)

antiacid
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
there is apparently not much difference with 1 or 2 intel drives. You might be better off just getting a single 160gb...

lowfat
09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
there is apparently not much difference with 1 or 2 intel drives. You might be better off just getting a single 160gb...

He says he is 'slapping some GB's of data every day.' So I assume he is doing a lot of sequential read/writes.

Tell us what kind of tasks you are using it for. So we can give you a better idea what drive to buy.

Telperion
09-11-2009, 11:20 PM
120GB of 2x60GB OCZ Agility drives in RAID 0 for $300 is not a bad looking option.

ic3m4n2005
09-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Will do a lot of encoding and copy big files from this raid 0 to my raid 5 or other way round. So Raid 0 will get me some advantages in write as well as read speeds.

Edit: OS, games and programs do get their own partitions too on these new drives, just to let you know :)

deathman20
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Will do a lot of encoding and copy big files from this raid 0 to my raid 5 or other way round. So Raid 0 will get me some advantages in write as well as read speeds.

Edit: OS, games and programs do get their own partitions too on these new drives, just to let you know :)

Might I ask why partition the drive? Its not like a harddrive where the fastest part is the front half of the drive.

Though your config of drives is something I've been toying with as well. Either 3x 60Gigs or 2x 80Gigs. Course the 3x 60Gigs is pricier then the 2 intel drives if prices return to the proper level on them.

ic3m4n2005
09-16-2009, 03:17 AM
Have ordered 3x60GB Vertex.
I know that partitioning is useless regarding speed, but i will get a certain order for everything to find, so games here, os&programs there, etc. Get the idea ?
Best would be to create virtual partitions, like you do with virtual folders, but the other way round (oh dear that sounds strange :D ).
I mean create a drive in explorer from a folder. So i won't have to worry about the partition getting full and write speed going down, because of not enough free cells.

Hope everyone gets what i'm trying to explain, if not feel free to ask and i'll try again :)

deathman20
09-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Have ordered 3x60GB Vertex.
I know that partitioning is useless regarding speed, but i will get a certain order for everything to find, so games here, os&programs there, etc. Get the idea ?
Best would be to create virtual partitions, like you do with virtual folders, but the other way round (oh dear that sounds strange :D ).
I mean create a drive in explorer from a folder. So i won't have to worry about the partition getting full and write speed going down, because of not enough free cells.

Hope everyone gets what i'm trying to explain, if not feel free to ask and i'll try again :)

Yeah drive mapping (or folder mapping) would be an ideal way to go with that. I get what your saying on that.

ic3m4n2005
09-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Drives are sitting on my desk, one currently attached to my 1680ix.
Can i read out and/or flash firmware with the drive attached to the controller ? HDTune shows Firmware R001 atm ....weird :)
If not, which tool can read it out so i can choose the right firmware update ?

deathman20
09-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Not sure on firmware updates. Though do you have any updates on the progress of your drives?

jasbone123
09-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi
This is a very different .Computer Hardware forum; SSD drives are fairly new, they are currently quite expensive and, they have only recently entered into the mainstream market. Currently there are two types of SSD drives sold as complete products. SLC (Single level cell) these are high performance and high price, they generally also have a fairly large.

Thank you for information..

ic3m4n2005
09-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Areca controller shows correct firmware revi. in my case 1.30
So no need to update until new firmware comes out.

Btw, firefox takes about 4 secs to load up, shouldn't it be faster ?