PDA

View Full Version : Went out to browse, came home with a new toy...

WVUEcoCarTech
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Went out to browse shopping areas with the girl. 4 Hours later I came home with this :3d_frown: It wasn't Totally impulsive as I had been obssessing over it awhile now but never did I think I'd actually pick one up before I graduated at least.

Samsuge UNB7100 46" HD LED LCD TV

1.2" thick at its thickest point.

3,000,000:1 Contrast, 120Hz. The 8000 series features 240hz but is another $300 jump pretty much just for that.

So far, its awesome. Too awesome. The picture coloring and fluid motion is unlike any TV i've seen before. The smoothness almost messes with my head. Last night I finally got the DLNA to work. For those of you who don't know what that is, i can access my computer on my TV and watch any movies/pictures/songs etc I want wirelessly.

This Also features Yahoo widgets, which means i can watch endless Youtube on my TV, fullscreen :biglaugh:. And yes, its awesome, me and my roommate were doing it for hours the night I got it.

Thinking about upgrading the receiver to a VSX-10xx series. I have a VSX-1015TX-K which is AWESOME but has no HDMI features or TruAudio formats. The new VSX-1019's i'm weary about as I hear they stripped it down quite a bit from its 1018 predecessor. Anyone have any input on this???

Nearly got a PS3 too but since i can connect to my PC anyway, no point in buying it just for the Bluray Player. Thankfully the GF works at Best Buy so i got SERIOUS discounts on any misc. stuff i needed like HDMI cables and such. How serious of a discount you ask? Example: HDMI cable 69.99, her price 6.53. No discounts on these tv's unfortunately though, pretty much at cost already.

http://reviews.cnet.com/i/bto/20090413/9233607_ra.jpg
http://www.samsung.com/us/images/cnet/tv_side.jpg

Oberon
09-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Those screens DEFINITELY have a great picture. Very nice, indeed.

Just out of curiosity, how to the built-in speakers sound?

RAW-Raptor22
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Thats a fantastic looking TV. Great buy man. :D

WVUEcoCarTech
09-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Those screens DEFINITELY have a great picture. Very nice, indeed.

Just out of curiosity, how to the built-in speakers sound?

Thanks guys.

And the speakers are sub-par compared to most others on the market today, but the are functional. Though if you're spending this much on a TV you more than likely have a hell of a nice sound system to hook up whenever you want....sooo :shrug:

Kallenator
09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Nice screen!
But it's edge lit hence the thickness and mediocre viewing angle, so no local dimming which is a bummer. =)

Daveburt714
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I saw one of those at BB a few weeks ago, that is a BEAUTIFUL set man gratz!! :clap:

I bought an LN52A550 a couple years ago and I'm still very happy with it.. I won't hesitate to buy a Samsung again.

And the speakers are sub-par compared to most others on the market today, but the are functional. Though if you're spending this much on a TV you more than likely have a hell of a nice sound system to hook up whenever you want....sooo :shrug:

Not sure if this will help or not, but the speakers on my set sounded tinny too, after alot of playing around with the equalizer I settled on these settings.
They are MUCH better for everyday TV veiwing (of course I still fire up the reciever when I want to watch a movie.. ;)).

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/Daveburt/SamsungAudio.png

I know we don't have the same set, but it might be good starting point.

Hope this helps....... Dave

*EDIT* Kallenator: It's LED lit, which explains why it's so thin... I didn't notice any problem with viewing angle when I saw it in the store.

RAW-Raptor22
09-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I saw one of those at BB a few weeks ago, that is a BEAUTIFUL set man gratz!! :clap:

I bought an LN52A550 a couple years ago and I'm still very happy with it.. I won't hesitate to buy a Samsung again.

Not sure if this will help or not, but the speakers on my set sounded tinny too, after alot of playing around with the equalizer I settled on these settings.
They are MUCH better for everyday TV veiwing (of course I still fire up the reciever when I want to watch a movie.. ;)).

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/Daveburt/SamsungAudio.png

*EDIT* Kallenator: It's LED lit, which explains why it's so thin... I didn't notice any problem with viewing angle when I saw it in the store.

Are those lab people filling boxes with Tampons? :rofl: :shakes: :p:

WVUEcoCarTech
09-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Nice screen!
But it's edge lit hence the thickness and mediocre viewing angle, so no local dimming which is a bummer. =)

Mediocre viewing angle? Until you own one, don't believe what you read...I can view this TV from ALL angles with NO problems. Local dimming, whatever. Give me any other normal LCD/plasma/CRT that can outperform it in picture quality. The more i mess with picture quality the more i realize i've never seen such a good picture.

I was watching zoolander and the scenes with all the photographers actually caused me to blink because it became so bright. To me, that's impressive. Ive had countless people come in and ask me "is this HD?" My quick reply, "no, just DVD streaming from my computer", my responses range but all are surprised and impressed.

I bought an LN52A550 a couple years ago and I'm still very happy with it.. I won't hesitate to buy a Samsung again......

Thanks for the info but i've seen that. Normally i just run it through my audio system anyway so I'm not too worried. I've been debating returning it for the 8000 series just so i wouldn't need to upgrade down the road to 'keep up with the technology'. All i read though is the 240hz vs 120hz and 5000000:1 vs 3000000:1 contrast ratio is negligible in most cases.

Daveburt714
09-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info but i've seen that. Normally i just run it through my audio system anyway so I'm not too worried.

Well, I'm not sure how you've "Seen that", since I just took that pic a couple hours ago, reguardless, gratz on the new set... :rolleyes:

WVUEcoCarTech
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, I'm not sure how you've "Seen that", since I just took that pic a couple hours ago, reguardless, gratz on the new set... :rolleyes:

woops :)

Daveburt714
09-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Ummm... Your mistaken here Bro... I never said anything bad about the viewing angle... :rolleyes:

I was just offering some settings to make your speakers sound better. :shakes:

WVUEcoCarTech
09-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Ummm... Your mistaken here Bro... I never said anything bad about the viewing angle... :rolleyes:

I was just offering some settings to make your speakers sound better. :shakes:

sorry bud lol. Jumped the gun a bit :D football game day, so i've been drinking a little bit. :D comment retracted. Plus that comment about viewing angle bothered me a bit when i've read it before and see no reason to say something like that.

I just meant by 'i've seen that" I came across that setting already and experimented with it

Kallenator
09-13-2009, 01:47 AM

Of course it's thinner with LED than CCFL, but my point was simply that since it's edge lit it's very thin. ;)

I have seen a Samsung LED screen (pretty sure this one was "matrix-lit" because I remember seeing "local dimming" option when playing around in the menu), it was at an electronics store, so in very bright circumstances and the screen was not calibrated at all, however as I moved from side to side I am pretty sure I noticed less viewing angle than the regular CCFL LCD that I have had. (Samsung A656, this screen btw had terrible viewing angle) But of course this might be very wrong, but that put together with what I have read sort of well, welded stuck... :p
Anyways I really should not say anything without mentioning how I use my LCD, and that is strictly movies, nothing else. In a rather black room with the LCD calibrated as good as I can with "HD basics".

Having a look at Samsung LED screen in proper circumstances I have not and I really would like to ;)

(When mentioning viewing angle, it's not about when the image disappears or something drastic like that, it's mostly about back-light/"side-light" uniformity.)

LordEC911
09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Mediocre viewing angle? Until you own one, don't believe what you read...I can view this TV from ALL angles with NO problems. Local dimming, whatever. Give me any other normal LCD/plasma/CRT that can outperform it in picture quality. The more i mess with picture quality the more i realize i've never seen such a good picture.

I was watching zoolander and the scenes with all the photographers actually caused me to blink because it became so bright. To me, that's impressive. Ive had countless people come in and ask me "is this HD?" My quick reply, "no, just DVD streaming from my computer", my responses range but all are surprised and impressed.

Panny G10 or the current "King of the Hill" Pioneer Kuro will offer better IQ than any other HDTV.

WVUEcoCarTech
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Panny G10 or the current "King of the Hill" Pioneer Kuro will offer better IQ than any other HDTV.

Wouldn't know, never seen them. :shrug:

Jamesrt2004
09-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Wouldn't know, never seen them. :shrug:

you'd honestly love the G10, and kuro is just known for being the best of the best sorta thing never seen one in person,

actually was interested in buying the tv you got it's a great kit, but im now just going to save up/hold on a bit longer for some nice OLED tv's :up: you have a great tv my friend have fun ;)

Scubar
09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Ive had the pleasure of viewing a properly configured Kuro. It was drool worthy. I nearly bought one but i didnt want to spend another 2 grand on one when i just bought a 40" Tosh