PDA

View Full Version : Device with wifi, video recorder & mic?

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
My boss wants to buy an iphone, jailbreak it, and use his current pre-paid plan so that he can use it to record audio & video as well as use wifi.

He does not want a netbook.

So I have to ask you guys, is there a non-apple alternative?

Frank M
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Lots of PDAs and smartphones...

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
There's a ton of stuff out there and I don't really have to time to dig through a lot of phones or PDAs. He has AT&T.

Can you narrow it down, any specific smart phone (has to work with go phone type service)?

zanzabar
09-10-2009, 02:23 PM
if he wants from att then the touch pro2 and lg monaco are out on oct 6th (when they can sell winmo 6.5), if he dosnt want a contract then teh touch HD unlocked (i wanted but coulent afford this one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502020

or touch pro 2 unlocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502029

Jamesrt2004
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
iphone 3g with 3g video recorder app =) lol

villa1n
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
if he wants from att then the touch pro2 and lg monaco are out on oct 6th (when they can sell winmo 6.5), if he dosnt want a contract then teh touch HD unlocked (i wanted but coulent afford this one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502020

or touch pro 2 unlocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502029

Spec wise, the touch pro 2 doesnt bring much more to the table aside a bit bigger touch screen than the touch pro did.. check gsmarena.com compare specs.. pretty much the same.. if he s willing to jailbreak, just get a cooked rom from xdadevelopers. You could also get an unlocked htc hero, or magic/G1.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/10/android-battle-cliq-edition/

[XC] Synthetickiller
09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Any opinions on the samsung i8510?

That looks more up his alley considering the photo quality is really high. I know unlocked versions are not impossibly hard to find.

benko
09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
forget samsung.
dont know fot htc hero/g2(i will buy them if they have all that you need, i am quite sure they have)

but here is what i will get
htc diamond
htc diamond2
htc touch pro2
or latest htc touch 2(official winmo6.5)!

AzraelDarkangel
09-15-2009, 12:04 AM
forget samsung.
dont know fot htc hero/g2(i will buy them if they have all that you need, i am quite sure they have)

but here is what i will get
htc diamond
htc diamond2
htc touch pro2
or latest htc touch 2(official winmo6.5)!

Why forget Samsung? The i8910 Omnia HD is probably the highest (overall hardware) speced phone available at any price right now! Now some people don't like the Symbian software and it is expensive at about $600 (although nothing is as outrageous as an unlocked iPhone 3G S at around $1000 for the 16GB or $1300 for the 32GB) with cheaper options out for what you want. The Nokia N86 has a fantastic camera, video recording and WiFi for $480 or the N85 has similar specs with a slightly lower end but still great camera for only $250. If you want a bigger touchscreen phone the LG Renoir is around $300 and one of the better camera phones on the market. If you want a touchscreen and qwerty keyboard then the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 is around $450 (Specwise it's pretty much the same as the HTC Touch Diamond Pro as they are both made by HTC).

Overall though, the HTC phones are on the lower end of the photo quality scale compared to the better camera phones available. For price/performance of the camera section Nokia and some of the LG are the best with some Samsung models coming in close. For example the 2 year old Nokia N82 $300 (5MP Carl Zeiss optics) still takes better low light photos than any of the newer camera phones available at any price although the Nokia N86 and Sony Ericsson C905 are close.

Frank M
09-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Why forget Samsung? The i8910 Omnia HD is probably the highest (overall hardware) speced phone available at any price right now!

If you want a touchscreen and qwerty keyboard then the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 is around $450 (Specwise it's pretty much the same as the HTC Touch Diamond Pro as they are both made by HTC).

Samsung's phones may have good hw specs, but on the sw side they are
disastrous. Just read the new Omnia II review a couple of minutes ago,
and their UI and widget bar still makes the otherwise very fast (800MHz)
hw painfully slow.
The same goes for the Xperia X1: it looked good, but was a huge letdown,
an utter failure. The sw made it so slow that it practically killed it. Hw is
not everything in WinMo-land. Old htc's with half the specs still ran circles
around it. Having used a couple of PDAs (I used to work for a company
that developed sw for PDAs), I've got to hand it to htc that they do a
very good job of optimising sw, their machines just feel snappy and fast,
unlike most others.

AzraelDarkangel
09-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Samsung's phones may have good hw specs, but on the sw side they are
disastrous. Just read the new Omnia II review a couple of minutes ago,
and their UI and widget bar still makes the otherwise very fast (800MHz)
hw painfully slow.
The same goes for the Xperia X1: it looked good, but was a huge letdown,
an utter failure. The sw made it so slow that it practically killed it. Hw is
not everything in WinMo-land. Old htc's with half the specs still ran circles
around it. Having used a couple of PDAs (I used to work for a company
that developed sw for PDAs), I've got to hand it to htc that they do a
very good job of optimising sw, their machines just feel snappy and fast,
unlike most others.

The software does make a big difference, but also you can't judge a whole brand or one model based on the performance of another model with completely different hardware. The Omnia II for example uses a completely different processor than the Omnia HD which uses the new Cortex A8. Aside from that the software is continously tweaked and reviewers often get slightly buggy early versions. Another review at gsmarena doesn't mention anything slow about the UI. Also fast or slow UI is relative to the users experience with other devices.

I have heard of the Xperia X1 being slow until the software is updated, after which it's said to be very nice. BTW, the Xperia is made by HTC for Sony Ericsson. Aside from the higher resolution screen and minor tweaks in both hardware and software it's almost identical to the HTC touch Pro.

It would seem that Windows is a resource hog regardless of whether you are talking mobile or desktop, but I've heard lots of good things about 6.5 version. Android is getting to be very nice from what I've heard, but still needs time to mature. It is finally getting lots of apps available. Some reviewers suggest the WebOS of the Palm Pre is the overall best UI (ex Apple software engineers on the dev team), but it still lacks flash support (they suggest Adobe flash 10 by around the end of the year) and it's not had time yet to mature or have much at all in the way of app dev.

I'm looking forward to the Nokia N900! It runs Maemo which is open source and based on Debian linux which has had many years to mature. It's the first device I've seen where I'm likely to be happy with both the software and hardware. Touchscreen and slide out qwerty keyboard, Cortex A8 with 3d graphics acceleration, built in 32GB and microSD expansion, 3.5mm headphone jack and stereo speakers, tv-out and infrared port, WiFi and GPS Flash 9.4, 5MP camera with dual LED flash and WVGA video recording.

biggie135
12-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I loved my Omnia great phone I it just got to expensive for me being unemployed. $200 a month for 2 phones + internet