PDA

View Full Version : Help identify parts on this Vapor-X 4890

Johnmark
09-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Could someone be so kind as to inform me what the parts on this card are and used for. I've numbered the parts that I'm not sure of.
One of the reasons I want to know, is when I look at GPUz I want to know what the temps. represent.

Geeze you think Saphhire could have put those little boxes squarely in the PCB layout markings. Makes it harder for Waterblock builder to build a proper block!

TIA

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/Jmarks_2007/DSC_0802Merged.jpg

Oberon
09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I couldn't tell you specifically what the caps are for, but your #s 2 and 4 are simply chokes and your #5 are MOSFETs.

Johnmark
09-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I couldn't tell you specifically what the caps are for, but your #s 2 and 4 are simply chokes and your #5 are MOSFETs.

Thank You for your reply.

Can you tell me which components relate to the following sensors from GPUz?

GPU Temp. = I assume a sensor inside the GPU itself.
GPU(DispIO)=?
GPU(MEMIO)=?
GPU(Shader Core)=?

TIA

largon
09-08-2009, 06:15 AM
#1 = capacitor for pre-conversion 12V source current for GDDR5 memory vDD (or vDDQ) voltage converters. There's no easy way to tell if it's for vDD or vDDQ.

#2 = GDDR5 memory vDD (or vDDQ) supply power inductor. Again, there's no easy way to tell if it's for vDD or vDDQ.

#3 = post-power conversion capacitors, two independent voltage planes for two different voltages: uncore (MEMIO) at 1.2V and graphics core at ~1.3V.

#4 = post-power conversion inductors, two independent voltage planes for two different voltages: uncore (MEMIO) at 1.2V and graphics core at ~1.3V.

#5 = power converter MOSFETs, two independent voltage planes for two different voltages: uncore (MEMIO) at 1.2V (those 4 MOSFET near the upper edge where there is an empty solder pad between the 2 MOSFETs on both rows) and graphics core at ~1.3V (those 12 MOSFETs arranged in 4 rows of 3 MOSFETs in each).

#6 = capacitors for pre-conversion 12V source current for uncore (MEMIO) and graphics core voltage converters.

Temps in GPU-Z:
GPU Temp. = unspecified location, inside the GPU chip
GPU Temp.(DISPIO) = display output controller, inside the GPU chip
GPU Temp.(MEMIO) = GDDR5 memory controller, inside the GPU chip
GPU Temp.(SHADER CORE) = unified shader core, inside the GPU chip
There are no temperature sensors outside the GPU core.

edit:
Oh, and it's a "GPU covered in paste", not a CPU.

Johnmark
09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Thank You VERY MUCH !

Now I can peacefully go ahead and install my old Maze4 cooler on this card without worrying about it. I would like a full coverage WB but there isn't one yet so might as well use stuff I have laying around, and throw some heat sinks on the RAM chips.

Humminn55
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
You know you're going to have to heatsink the VRM/MOSFET modules, too. They run quite hot and need accessory cooling or they'll overheat under loads.

Johnmark
09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
You know you're going to have to heatsink the VRM/MOSFET modules, too. They run quite hot and need accessory cooling or they'll overheat under loads.

Thank You, yes I do. I've left the original passive cooler on them and put heatsinks on the RAM.
Eddy at EK tells me they will have the new Sapphire full coverage block out by the end of the week.
Nice guy, he is sending me new heat tape (which I had already cut to install his Reference block). PCS.com will only RMA the reference block if everything is original, which makes sense.