PDA

View Full Version : Need help on reviving an old mobo

Smellydeli
09-05-2009, 06:56 PM
So the story begins with my sis telling me that the computer isn't turning on after being used the night before. Alight no biggie so far. Press the power button, hear the fans spin then nothing.

Opened up the case, checked the connections and everything seems to be in order. Tried to turn the computer on again and all the fans spin up then slow down. BUT the fans twitched to a stop. Unplugged everything from the PSU except for the case fans and they spun normally. Cracked open the PSU and behold, blown caps on the +12v line (and possibly the +5v)! Alrighty, replaced the blown/bulged caps and the ones for the 5v rail. Put the PSU back together, hooked the necessary components and disappointment ensues :down:. All the fans spin up but slowly twitch to stop.

Switched/replaced the RAM around etc etc but no difference. No visibly damaged caps on the mobo. Plugged in my own PSU and still nothing!:shrug:

Could it be when those caps blew, it took out the mobo?

System spec as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice 90nm)
MSI K8N Neo2
Geil GLX5123200UP DDR 400 1GB (2X512MB)
Gigabyte ATI Raedon 9550
Antec SmartPower SL350

Old system, yes I know that but I would like to save it.

Fresh Daemon
09-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Quite possibly. If excessive current caused them to blow then that may well have damaged components further down the line. My g'f's last computer was recently killed by lightning, the PSU blew and upon running it with another, it transpired that the motherboard and one of the two DIMMs had been damaged as well.