PDA

View Full Version : Chipset heat problems

mcmeat51
09-04-2009, 05:17 AM
I have a DFI m2rs. The heatsink on the chipset (and PWM's) is wank.

I have tried alsorts of ghetto mods to try and keep this area cool.

I have replaced TIM with AC5 which helped a little. I now have twin 80mm fans over the area with some cardboard shrouds to help to direct most of the airflow over the nessassary heatsinks.

However whatever I do, temps still creep up and idle at about 57 on the chipset and 49 on the system.

I have twin 120mm at the front for intake,
1x120mm, 1x92, 1x80 as exhaust aswell as the blowers on the 4870's.

Interestingly if I wack up the blowers on the GPU's to like 45% is brings chipset and pwm temps down to about 44/42!!!!

All the fans are fairly low output as I wanted a quite system, but they are all also quite cheap ones. Would better fans help? I did buy a swiftech waterblock for the chipset only to find it didnt fit :( any reccomendations for air or water blocks that might fit?

Also whatever I do, I have probs getting my 9950 stable over 3Ghz, Im unsure if this is a temp issue on any of the components, or power, or mobo limitations, or it is just the chip.

As I want to invest in a 955 or 965 Im intrigued as to wether I should get a new mobo or not as I want to aim for at least 4Ghz.

Any Ideas?

I was thinking of doing away with the side panel and making my own window with a few extra fans?

Thanks

Matt

Cheeseball
09-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Interestingly if I wack up the blowers on the GPU's to like 45% is brings chipset and pwm temps down to about 44/42!!!!

This is because those blowers are sucking in the air in your case and exhausting them out, which is a good thing for the whole system, but a not-so-good-thing for the video cards.

bldegle2
09-04-2009, 05:36 AM
M2R and the M2RS both have PWM's issues that can fry and egg....my M2R PWM temps would spike every once and awhile uncontrollably, even with added cooling, requiring a complete shutdown, then unplugging of PS power cord and discharging of PS without power then replug and reboot....I have read that the most recent bios takes care of the problem, but I am not convinced....it was annoying and ongoing....

my suggestion, get a different board, I did and things have been wonderful ever since....

laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

m0n4g3
09-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I have the m2rsh and it works perfectly fine.

I have the latest bios and have watercooling on both the cpu and the gpu.

Idle temps are around 40 for chipset and 35 for pwms.

Under load i get 44 for chipset and 45 for pwms.

I would possibly suggest w/c your vid card, or moving it down to the second pci-e slot if you can to get the heat away from the pwm/chipset.

Also i have the HAF-932 and that has PLENTY of moving air in it :)

mcmeat51
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
any reccomendations for 120mm fans?? I want some decent airflow ones, that will run near silent (I do have a fan controller for adjusting), but also are cheap... I mean ~£15 for an effing fan!!! is just rediculous

G0ldBr1ck
09-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Also whatever I do, I have probs getting my 9950 stable over 3Ghz, Im unsure if this is a temp issue on any of the components, or power, or mobo limitations, or it is just the chip.

Matt
If your 9950 is a early build (early 2008) Than its likely you wont get over 3.0Ghz.