PDA

View Full Version : Flushing algae out of system?

artemm
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
If anyone remembers my last thread, I've learned to be far more careful with algae prevention in my open loop.

However, I need to first clean everything out.

What would you guys recommend for killing/flushing out my unwelcome guests?

I just want that crap out of there! Any suggestions are welcome.

Zehnsucht
09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd suggest buying new tubing, flushing the old is not worth it IMO. I'd suggest a dark tubing (black preferably or that Tygon silver tubing {expensive though}) so that the buggers have even harder to start to grow.
I don't know if algae wants to live inside blocks and the radiator but if they do:
Clean blocks with ketchup. Clean radiator with the vinegar technique (search for it).

rehpyc
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Haha, I recently had this ordeal with a media pc unit that I chose to neglect for years, and at one point the biocide had obviously worn its worth. The tubing, as Zehnsucht mentioned, should simply be replaced. Algae WILL live inside your blocks (it made a nice build on the inside of my cpu block), so it's best to take apart everything, including your motor. Use a fine brush and hot hot water to every component. Run a hot rinse through the radiator, followed by a quick vinegar rinse, and then one last hot bath to let sit for a little bit. AFAIK, silver will be your loops long-life friend from future algae growth.

Hondacity
09-01-2009, 11:32 PM
pressurized hot water for 10 hrs :)

clamps are necessary :)

Little Man
09-02-2009, 01:36 AM
soz for hijack :D will using 8 true silver compression fittings keep the algae out of plain distilled water for good?

going to be running 4 uv cathodes which someone told me algae hates?:eek::confused:

Zehnsucht
09-02-2009, 02:29 AM
soz for hijack :D will using 8 true silver compression fittings keep the algae out of plain distilled water for good?

going to be running 4 uv cathodes which someone told me algae hates?:eek::confused:

I would rather use a silver killcoil than trusting the fittings.

If you buy UV lights that are used for microbe removal you'll get skin cancer. PC UV lights does not kill microbes, and thus you'll not get burned.

Found a good source:

What is UV light?
UV stands for Ultra-Violet light. Ultraviolet light represents the frequency of light between 200 nanometers (nm) and 400nm and cannot be seen with the naked eye. Within the UV spectrum lie three distinct bands of light: UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C. Longwave UV light (315nm to 400nm), or UV-A, refers to what we commonly call "black light." UV-B (280nm to 315nm), or midrange UV, causes sunburn. Germicidal UV light (200nm to 280nm), or UV-C, is effective in microbial control. Research has demonstrated that within this UV-C band the most efficient frequency for microbial destruction is between 254nm and 265nm. Germicidal lamps that produce the majority of their output in this range will be the most effective in microbial control/destruction.

How does it work?
UV-C light penetrates the cell walls of the microbe, causing cellular or genetic damage. The affected microbe is neutralized or becomes unable to reproduce. Intensity and exposure time will determine how quickly a susceptible microbe is disabled by UV-C light.

http://www.peakpureair.net/induct-uv-faq.htm

Cellular or genetic damage. Nothing I'd want near me.

Little Man
09-02-2009, 02:42 AM
:shocked:

millertime359
09-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Yep, the UV lights we use are basically black lights. Real UV lights are much brighter and produce Ultra Vilot rays. The same thing the sun produces. It's not good if you come into contact with it.

XKaan
09-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Yeah, but you could overclock, kill algae, and get a tan all at the same time!

:)

Wolf132
09-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Tooth brush clean all the parts that can be. Can use rubbing alcohol on the copper blocks to clean the insides. Wash with distilled water. For the radiators, id use boiled tap water, pour some in, shake around, pour it out.. Do that bout 5-10x. Then flush with distilled 2-3 more times. Should be good to go.

artemm
09-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I ordered lots of pure silver for my loops. I guess some elbow grease is all I need at this point to get the crap out.

Lol @ the UV discussion, btw. It'll also burn your retinas if you look at it as an added bonus! Still, I though about using it myself. UV lamps are cheap and can be used in an opaque res. That would totally obliterate any life in the system outright. Still, it'll add lots of heat to the system and would have to powered from a separate circuit.. which is PITA (I already have enough hassle with my pumps and chiller on a 120v circuit.)

Aphellyon
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Yep, the UV lights we use are basically black lights. Real UV lights are much brighter and produce Ultra Vilot rays. The same thing the sun produces. It's not good if you come into contact with it.

Yea, it'll break down your tubing as well... making them yellowish and brittle.

millertime359
09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I ordered lots of pure silver for my loops. I guess some elbow grease is all I need at this point to get the crap out.

Lol @ the UV discussion, btw. It'll also burn your retinas if you look at it as an added bonus! Still, I though about using it myself. UV lamps are cheap and can be used in an opaque res. That would totally obliterate any life in the system outright. Still, it'll add lots of heat to the system and would have to powered from a separate circuit.. which is PITA (I already have enough hassle with my pumps and chiller on a 120v circuit.)

Yea, it really is pointless seeing that you are using distilled water and a piece of silver takes care of everything.

You would also have to keep your res and/or computer sealed of while it is running. unless you want to try to cool your comp from the lake behind your house, I wouldn't even worry about the UV thing. :up: