PDA

View Full Version : Time Bonus ?

Otis11
08-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm running a single GTX260 and for some reason the server insists on giving me 6 WUs at a time which is killing my bonuses. Is there any way to get the bonuses? Is it possible to OC the card enough to have it actually finish them in time? (the one thing I can't do is babysit it... so if I can't figure this out then it's just no bonus for me...:shakes:)

shadowwind
08-29-2009, 08:39 AM
poppa posted that question on the gpugrid it got something
to do with the 190.xx drivers that's giving you more of a work load from how im reading it yes i would oc that card if it isn't all ready oced.its a good day to boost up some power
otis.:up:

PoppaGeek
08-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes it has been happening to me as well. I have a thread on GPUgrid (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1304) about it. No solution yet, I have tried different settings nothing makes a difference. It would help if you would add your experience to it so they know it is not just me.

For now I select "No new tasks" untill it gets to last one so I am not loosing bonus on more than 2 at a time. It suxs.

Otis11
08-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Done PG. Let me know if there's an update b/c college has started again and i barely have time to get on anymore. :shakes:

Otis11
09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
This is rediculous... Now I have 10 WUs. 9 just as cache. Are there any plans to fix this? Please say yes...

PoppaGeek
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
This is rediculous... Now I have 10 WUs. 9 just as cache. Are there any plans to fix this? Please say yes...

There is another post here (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1304#12341) but from what I have seen no one is looking at this. We seem to be the only 2 that has reported it.

INFRNL
09-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Oh I forgot about that issue, was thinking about upgrading drivers and trying boinc 6.10.3 to see if anything got fixed, but I cannot afford to lose my bonus's; we have already lost our bonus's at work for the past year now :ROTF:

Otis11
09-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh I forgot about that issue, was thinking about upgrading drivers and trying boinc 6.10.3 to see if anything got fixed, but I cannot afford to lose my bonus's; we have already lost our bonus's at work for the past year now :ROTF:

:rofl:

Ok, so I think I may have come up with a roundabout solution. Why not just suspend 8 WUs in the Queue and just let them sit. It will always download more so it will have 2 to crunch and then DL another when it's done. Downsides anyone? or would this work? I'm trying it now...

INFRNL
09-03-2009, 06:07 PM
It may work, but it will also screw up your overall production unless you can consistantly monitor it. Reason being is that when the new wu's start you will eventually have to suspend those so you can make your 24 hr deadline on the previously suspended wu's.

Does this make sense? I had to suspend a wu yesterday and request no new tastks cause for some reason a wu started and only had a couple hours left, but it put that one to waiting and started a new wu. I dont know why, didnt make sense. anyway, I had to suspend the newer on to complete the one almost finished and jacked up my points for the day; especially when i forgot to start the other one back up.

In theory it should work, you'll just have to make sure the suspended ones do not get behind and still lose out on the bonus's

Otis11
09-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Well my point is to never do the suspended WUs. After so many days they will cancel and go back, but i think it's better than aborting 8 units a day right?

Edit: well this doesn't work. You won't DL any units if you have one suspended...

OldChap
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
It is looking like I'm getting something like this problem...The 295 is running at around 1 WU every 7.5 hours per side but grid is down loading 8 at a time so the last 2 will fail the 24 hour since download timelimit and from that point on so will the rest this is however day1 so maybe things will automatically adjust??

Have adjusted my boinc manager to cache 0.8 days work to see what happens

Otis11
09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
See, that's when they DL all 8 at once, but keep in mind once your 295 keeps chugging away it should fall into pattern that they are all making the time limit right? Because they would be DLed later? (that or they will all start to fall short... Can't think that through right now. Head isn't working)

But still a problem. They need to just make it an option on the GPUGrid site of how many your computer is allowed to DL at once...

And for me changing the cache did nothing...

OldChap
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Yep it's late but I think it works that from the fourth WU, for each side, (provided there are no errors) everything runs 6 hours late

OldChap
09-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Now there's interesting.....28+ hours from download to completion and the points given were the same as for similar wu done in 22 hours

Otis11
09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's a 24 hour rule, but it's definately under 48 hours... maybe 36?

OldChap
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Made me go searching.....

from the FAQ

So now, we apply a multiplier of 2.0x for all workunits, but give and additional 25% for WUs returned within two days. This is useful for us to reduce latency of the results while keeping us in line with a correct value for credits as in SETI.

INFRNL
09-05-2009, 06:47 PM
So you may be able to keep up and still get your bonus's. Now to research to see if they have fixed the sli and 2d downclocking. If they can get the downclocking issue resolved, I can upgrade.

shadowwind
09-06-2009, 05:16 AM
So you may be able to keep up and still get your bonus's. Now to research to see if they have fixed the sli and 2d downclocking. If they can get the downclocking issue resolved, I can upgrade.

nope it isn't fixed yet for the 260s down clocking to 2d. but i did get a good work unit from
a 260 that all ways errors out so i guess they are working on it,i got my 285s in now so they will be working on the grid soon i ordered a asus AMD nvidia sli board to put those cards on. im wanting to try the sli thing out.:D

INFRNL
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Nice! You should get killer ppd on those 285's. If you oc them, I am guessing 25k+ ppd

let me know how the sli thing works for you. If they are still having problems with the 2d downclock; I will have to wait it out, no biggy, but it would be nice to run 1 monitor per rig without dummy plugs or extra monitors

Otis11
09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Are you having 2d problems with the core 216 version? Cuz i have a 260 and have never had it go to 2d. Not really sure why I haven't had the problem, but definatly not complaining!

Might be just the 192? Just a thought...

INFRNL
09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I tried it once and had the 2d problem on my GTX 275's. sometimes it works, sometimes 1 card full speed and the other @ 2d clocks, or most of the time both cards @ 2d clocks when using 192.xx driver, boinc 6.10. I have tried to force 3d clocks, no luck, but that was with riva tuner. Never tried forcing 3d via nvidia panel. I lost a weeks work on 2 cards cause of this; so i am not going to rush trying again

smallfish
09-06-2009, 11:30 PM
There is another post here (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1304#12341) but from what I have seen no one is looking at this. We seem to be the only 2 that has reported it.

I try to click the link, but I couldn't be allow to post it, terrible.

shadowwind
09-07-2009, 03:59 AM
hello smallfish i think you got to be a member of the gpugrid to post the link works for me.

shadowwind
09-07-2009, 04:10 AM
Are you having 2d problems with the core 216 version? Cuz i have a 260 and have never had it go to 2d. Not really sure why I haven't had the problem, but definatly not complaining!

Might be just the 192? Just a thought...

otis both the 192 and 216 are having troubles not all the 260s are kicking down to 2d i got 1 good 260 that hasn't had a problem but i did have 6 other 260s i tried to get working on the grid that failed miserably so i sold them off to get the gts285s, i think its the luck of the draw when getting gtx 260s so you got lucky.

Otis11
09-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Just saw your post OC - But for the 260 they still need to lower the WU count just a tad or raise the limit to 3 days, because thats how long it takes to do them all...

And I guess I'll just count myself lucky then. :up:

PoppaGeek
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I put a 260 back on GPUGrid and got 6 WUs. Tired all the suggestions on the GPUGrid forums and no changes. I am just getting 6 Wus then click "No new tasks" until it is on the last one and the "Allow new tasks" and repeat. I get bonus for 4 and none for 2. Oh well, it is my lot in life to suffer I guess. :rofl:

It's the science that matter right? :up:

New 260 on the road, somewhere. Should be here before Nvidia releases new 300 series. Maybe. Chose the free shipping. Usually ships out of KY so would still get quickly. This time shipped out of AZ. Maybe the mule team will get it out of the desert before the end of the world in 2012.:shakes:

INFRNL
09-11-2009, 06:01 PM
You sure are building quite the collection, didn't you just get a couple this past month? Congrats on the new purchase

PoppaGeek
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
This is the one I ordered on the third. Estimated delivery date, 15th. :shakes:

Will have 3 GTX 260.

Otis11
09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
So are you putting this one on the Grid or F@H?

INFRNL
09-11-2009, 08:41 PM
This is the one I ordered on the third. Estimated delivery date, 15th. :shakes:

Will have 3 GTX 260.

Ordered on the 3rd....are they walking to your house :ROTF: Sorry its taking so long, but will be worth it in the end

Otis11
09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Whoa... PG.

Rank 21 PoppaGeek RAC 5855.05 Total 666,666.39

Something we should know? :p:

PoppaGeek
09-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Ordered on the 3rd....are they walking to your house :ROTF: Sorry its taking so long, but will be worth it in the end

No as I said the world will end before then. :shakes:

PoppaGeek
09-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Whoa... PG.

Rank 21 PoppaGeek RAC 5855.05 Total 666,666.39

Something we should know? :p:

I saw that. What can I say, I have friends in high, er I mean low places......

A reason to be nice to me.:eek:

:devil:

PoppaGeek
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
So are you putting this one on the Grid or F@H?

Gonna put it on the 810 with the other 260/216 and see how they work/don't work on grid. If that doesn
t work will put on F@H and try and get 260/192 back on grid, on F@H right now.

1st of month getting another PSU and moving 260/192 to one of the Opty systems. The 1 260/216 on 9850 and one on 810.

Since the Inca's were so l33t doing calendars wonder if they know when my 260 will arrive......:shrug:

PoppaGeek
09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Well I guess invoking the Inca's works. The card was delivered today. Considering a holiday weekend and free shipping not too bad. USPS does work Saturday so that helps.

HOPEFULLY the Nvidia gods will smile upon me and another 260 will be on the grid tonight. Now where is my dried chicken bones, pebbles and raven feathers......

Otis11
09-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Dang... and to think, in only 21 days you would have been mine PG...

Now looks like I'm going to have to start targeting Jcool. Only 969 days. Maybe less with my new OC! :rofl:

Now when are those 300's coming... those might help...

PoppaGeek
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
OK 2 GTX 260 216 crunching da grid on the 810. So far so good. No down clocking, or other weirdness so far. Precision no longer shows me temps. Got latest version and cannot even find it as an option anymore. Using Everest to monitor temps.

Downloaded 6 WUs total so 3 for each GPU. It all went too easy so holding breath waiting for smoke, sparks, down clocking or something. Too damn quiet.....:para:

Otis11
09-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Haha, count yourself lucky and quite bragging already! :rofl:

Hope it all stays that way! I'll have to challenge you another time... :up:

INFRNL
09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
OK 2 GTX 260 216 crunching da grid on the 810. So far so good. No down clocking, or other weirdness so far. Precision no longer shows me temps. Got latest version and cannot even find it as an option anymore. Using Everest to monitor temps.

Downloaded 6 WUs total so 3 for each GPU. It all went too easy so holding breath waiting for smoke, sparks, down clocking or something. Too damn quiet.....:para:

No downclocking? did you make any adjustments in nvidia panel or use riva?

What boinc and drivers are you using?

I just installed 6.10.4 and 190.xx drivers. didn't even start up boinc; looked at precision and it already downclocked one of the cards. I tried that prefer max performance, no luck. The weird thing is every time I go to the adj image settings tab you can see clocks go back up for a second then drop back down :shrug:. This will happen everytime and only when I go to adjust image tab.

So I was afraid to try boinc to see if it the clocks would go back up. However I restored system to previous drivers, etc and it still read downclock until I started boinc again but back on 186 drivers. So I wonder if I go back to 6.10.4 and 190.xx drivers if it will actually work in boinc :shrug:

I guess the worst that could happen is I lose another days work :ROTF: :shrug:

PoppaGeek
09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Haha, count yourself lucky and quite bragging already! :rofl:

Hope it all stays that way! I'll have to challenge you another time... :up:

I'll keep an eye on my rear view mirror. :p:

PoppaGeek
09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
No downclocking? did you make any adjustments in nvidia panel or use riva?

What boinc and drivers are you using?

I just installed 6.10.4 and 190.xx drivers. didn't even start up boinc; looked at precision and it already downclocked one of the cards. I tried that prefer max performance, no luck. The weird thing is every time I go to the adj image settings tab you can see clocks go back up for a second then drop back down :shrug:. This will happen everytime and only when I go to adjust image tab.

So I was afraid to try boinc to see if it the clocks would go back up. However I restored system to previous drivers, etc and it still read downclock until I started boinc again but back on 186 drivers. So I wonder if I go back to 6.10.4 and 190.xx drivers if it will actually work in boinc :shrug:

I guess the worst that could happen is I lose another days work :ROTF: :shrug:

Just installed and that was about it. Maybe that's why it worked! :rofl:

6.6.38, 190.62 Vista 64, 5'11" and brown eyes :ROTF:

What I found interesting is one card is factory OC and other not. Precision says both running at OC speeds. I thought it always went with the slower ones settings?

Played LOTRO while WCG and GPUgrid running, all ok. :up:

INFRNL
09-13-2009, 08:54 AM
^^^ not sure PG. I got an evga card that was oc'd but was the vanilla prt#. Im not complaining. I cannot recall if it went to the higher clock or not though as most of them I am running above factory clocks. will have to double check.

PoppaGeek
09-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I have read many times that the OC parts are supposed to be same just better clocking chips but looking thru the holes in shroud I can see these 2 cards are not the same.

Otis11
09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
How are they different?

And has anyone hear about getting less WUs? Do we even know if they're working on it?

PoppaGeek
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Capactors in different places was main thing I noticed and heatsink looked a little different. Outside they are very different. I was surprised they both show OC clocks under Precision and GPU-Z.

Supposedly they are trying different settings slowly changing them.

INFRNL
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
^^^...I will have to find which one I have that is factory oc'd and not supposed to be to see If there is any difference. I heard too that the oc'd cards should be binned a bit better, but I have also found that they only oc just as well as a vanilla card. At least in my case, but haven't spent too much time ocing my cards. Just slowly move shaders up till they have problems, then back down. I have found that the GTX 275's seem to max stability around 1620.

I wonder if they releas more wu's on the newer stuff, because they think a lot of people are running sli now and technically 2-3 cards should be able to keep up. Time will tell. As long as I do not encounter any problems running 2 gpu's on this rig in sli, I will keep track to see if I maintain all my bonus's

Otis11
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
So anyone have any idea around what the max shader is on a 260? I think I might be able to push this thing enough to be able to keep up and I can stop babysitting it. It's just about 1 or 2 WUs short of keeping up...

INFRNL
09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
So anyone have any idea around what the max shader is on a 260? I think I might be able to push this thing enough to be able to keep up and I can stop babysitting it. It's just about 1 or 2 WUs short of keeping up...

I cannot recall; I think DAK, MikeB12 , OC, or PG should know. If you browse the ppd thread I think it is; it should say in there :shrug:

PoppaGeek
09-13-2009, 08:31 PM
MikeB12 may be best one to answer. I have not tried much yet, still trying to keep heat down and make sure I have stable setups. I think I have seen 15xx. My 192 worked fine at 1404 for along time, when it worked. :-/

Otis11
09-14-2009, 04:42 AM
Well i'm at 1455 currently... I'll ask mike! Thanks!

Otis11
10-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Ok, so i know there is another thread that deals with this, but I can not find it... So i'm going to spam my own thread.

I have not been able to babysit my 260 for the past weeks and my ppd has dropped to 14k even heavily OCed because I am still losing my time bonus.

GPUGrid is still sending me 10 WUs at a time! I thought they had a fix for this, but apparently I missed it... Is there anything I can do to fix it?

OldChap
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
did you mean... http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1304 ?

Otis11
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I thought there was one on here, but that will work!

Any suggestions around here would also be welcome!

Thanks OC!