PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me use borland c++ (help quick)

Geforce4ti4200
11-26-2003, 12:05 AM
http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20997,00.html

The free Borland 5.5 Compiler and command-line tools has, so far, been a great success. At this time of writing,less that a month after we made it available, we have had hundreds of thousands of downloads.
I have also received hundreds of emails asking me how to install and use these tools but there is not really an install, per se. Rather, simply unzip the contents of the package and you are almost ready to go.

First, let's look at the directory structure. The root, by default is called BCC55. Under this directory you will find:

Bin
Examples
Help
Include
Lib
Bin
Bin is short for binaries. Under this directory you will find all of the command-line tools (as well as RTL and STL dynamic libraries). These are 32-bit Windows exectuable, command-line programs, which means if you double click on one of them from Windows Explorer you are likely to see a flashing DOS box, that comes up and immediately goes away. These applications are meant to be run from within a DOS shell. Meaning, you need physically move to the Bin directory and type the name of the program that you want to run (unless this directory is first in your path).
For example, if I were to run the compiler bcc32.exe without any arguments I would get a dump of it's version and command-line options as shown.

[f:\borland\bcc55\bin]bcc32
Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
Syntax is: BCC32 [ options ] file[s] * = default; -x- = turn switch x off -3 * 80386 Instructions -4 80486 Instructions
-5 Pentium Instructions -6 Pentium Pro Instructions
-Ax Disable extensions -B Compile via assembly
-C Allow nested comments -Dxxx Define macro
-Exxx Alternate Assembler name -Hxxx Use pre-compiled headers
-Ixxx Include files directory -K Default char is unsigned
-Lxxx Libraries directory -M Generate link map
-N Check stack overflow -Ox Optimizations
-P Force C++ compile -R Produce browser info
-RT * Generate RTTI -S Produce assembly output
-Txxx Set assembler option -Uxxx Undefine macro
-Vx Virtual table control -X Suppress autodep. output
-aN Align on N bytes -b * Treat enums as integers
-c Compile only -d Merge duplicate strings
-exxx Executable file name -fxx Floating point options
-gN Stop after N warnings -iN Max. identifier length
-jN Stop after N errors -k * Standard stack frame
-lx Set linker option -nxxx Output file directory
-oxxx Object file name -p Pascal calls
-tWxxx Create Windows app -u * Underscores on externs
-v Source level debugging -wxxx Warning control
-xxxx Exception handling -y Produce line number info
-zxxx Set segment names

I have no clue what that means. I have downloaded the free trail of that complier so I can make some programs for my assignment. does anyone know where to go from there? I know there isnt an instal but something about running from a dos shell, but how?

CCW
11-28-2003, 07:53 AM
What Operating System are you running?
Do you have to use this particular compiler?

bldegle2
11-28-2003, 09:04 AM
I have downloaded the free trail of that complier so I can make some programs for my assignment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

assuming this is for University studies, this assignment????

seems your Professor and/or classmates would have plenty of advise on getting started.

you won't get a ton of answers anyway, most don't delve into that facet of computing, i studied only basic Fortran ( a long, long time ago) and then never used it.

there must be a forum somewhere on the net that discusses this subject, maybe a search................................????????

baldy

:cool:

jaawood
12-13-2003, 11:00 AM
ive always used microsoft visual C++, good program, always worked for me.

Holst
12-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Borland I had ran from within a window I think that was rev4 or something. For C++ it was pretty easy to use.

I Dont know much about C to be honest.. I just wrote a CAD program in it once and a few other things but whenever I see anybody elses code I struggle to understand the vast majoryity.