PDA

View Full Version : IHS removal idea

Smartidiot89
08-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Well getting a Sempron 140 to play with and while I am at it I am going to try a IHS removal just because I can! :D

So my idea was first the traditional razor+heat but a friend and me came up with a crazy idea how to remove the IHS without passing it over a stable flame over and over and over and over...

Hot water. First us the razors to cut through all that stuff around the IHS, then put the CPU in a water-proof container and submerge it into heated water -or- hold it in a steady grip with some tool and simply dip it into the heated water until the solder lets go and wash it of with Isopropylalcohole afterwards or put it in the oven @ 50C for a while.

Might sound dumb but wouldn't this be easier then the traditional way of heating to it get rid of the solder, or will it simply not work/destroy the CPU for sure?:shrug:

pumero
08-25-2009, 03:06 AM
It's not necessary to use such sophisticated methods because the heatspreader on the Sempron is not soldered to the chip.
I removed the IHS on my Sempron by just cutting the silicone - done.

Pictures of the chip can be seen here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3973247&postcount=12

Smartidiot89
08-25-2009, 03:14 AM
It's not necessary to use such sophisticated methods because the heatspreader on the Sempron is not soldered to the chip.
I removed the IHS on my Sempron by just cutting the silicone - done.

Pictures of the chip can be seen here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3973247&postcount=12
Nice thanks for a quick reply will definetly try it ;)

Let's twist my question, would this method work on a CPU with a soldered IHS then?

Oberon
08-25-2009, 03:16 AM
The melting point of the solder is more than likely well above any temperature you could heat your water to, so no.

Smartidiot89
08-25-2009, 03:31 AM
The melting point of the solder is more than likely well above any temperature you could heat your water to, so no.
Really? I've heard somewhere around 90C to melt the solder.

wez
08-25-2009, 04:44 AM
I dont really see how this would be any smoother/less risky than for example popping the CPU upside down in a frying pan? That would also give a lot more control over the heat.

I’m sure it will work, but just don’t see any benefit at all over other proven methods :P

knopflerbruce
08-25-2009, 05:07 AM
If the Semprons aren't soldered, I would really think the Athlon II chips aren't either. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?:)

Oberon
08-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Really? I've heard somewhere around 90C to melt the solder.

Don't they use lead-free solder now to be RoHS certified/compliant/whatever, which has a higher melting point?

Also, usually CPUs with soldered IHSs tend to have higher heat output. You'd want the melting point of the solder to be somewhat above what you consider to be the maximum operating temperature of the CPU, Id think, or else you'd have molten solder running all over your chip packaging :p:.