PDA

View Full Version : Prolimatech Megashadow

SubZero.it
08-24-2009, 06:26 AM
My favourite cooler goes black...and nothing else,enjoy:

http://en.expreview.com/img/2009/08/24/Prolimatech_MegaShadow_03.jpg

http://en.expreview.com/img/2009/08/24/Prolimatech_MegaShadow_04.jpg

From expreview:
http://en.expreview.com/2009/08/24/prolimatech-mega-shadow-cooler-gets-early-pictures.html#more-4916

Jamesrt2004
08-24-2009, 06:37 AM
this also looks awesome hope they don't charge extra for it being black :/

Buckeye
08-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Man those non black heat sinks just look plain dirty in that picture. The black ones look photo shopped.

labs23
08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Nice! It adds to the bad-ass looks.

this also looks awesome hope they don't charge extra for it being black :/

The source mentioned $78-$80. :shrug:

zalbard
08-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Will be more expensive, pretty sure. But looks great imo!

eva2000
08-24-2009, 06:58 AM
black heatsink but silver heatpipes ???

gatecrasherlok
08-24-2009, 07:15 AM
This looks awesome, it certainly looks better than the original heatsink. BTW any megahalems users could shed some light as to whether they felt the need to lap the heatsink like the true?

iTravis
08-24-2009, 07:36 AM
The texture thingy on top makes me think of an Autobot icon, maybe it's just me. :D

SkItZo
08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Autobots, Lets Roll!

SubZero.it
08-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Man those non black heat sinks just look plain dirty in that picture. The black ones look photo shopped.

Seems more clean compared to the other than edited....

Nomadsoul
08-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Prolimatech Megashadow

http://ar3s.fileave.com/megashadow.jpg

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3955426&postcount=5267

3NZ0
08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
The texture thingy on top makes me think of an Autobot icon, maybe it's just me. :D

Nah, that's the first thing that came to my mind as well. :D

Smartidiot89
08-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Think - TRUE Black:cool:

I see a pattern!

dduckquack
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
why is everything going black (and red)?

Chruschef
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Think - TRUE Black:cool:

I see a pattern!

prolimatech is a company made up of thermalright engineers; so yes. ;)

that design looks kinda cool, but it does give off the transformers feeling

mrcape
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Autobots, Lets Roll!

lol what's up with the transformers symbol? Destroy the decepticons over at Thermalright.

HousERaT
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Not that this company is trying to copy another well known heatsink company but how long before the copper version? :p:

Looks nice though, gotta admit that.........

CBONE
08-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Sure does look cool, but I'm sticking with direct contact heatpipe tech until something cheaper and better comes along.

DavyBoy
08-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Not that this company is trying to copy another well known heatsink company but how long before the copper version? :p:

Looks nice though, gotta admit that.........

Like someone else has already said in this thread, Prolimatech is a company made up of Thermalright engineers!!

If I wasn't planning on building a custom WC loop I would buy one of these!!

It looks absolutely stunning!

Calmatory
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Seems that the looks only matter these days, no wonder TRUE has been THE king for what, 3 years? :rolleyes:

I demand MORE SURFACE AREA!

Manicdan
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
i think were hitting the limit of air cooling. i bet we will see more products like the H50 coming out if people demand more simple solutions with limited space.

Rommsey
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice looking!

slim142
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
prolimatech is a company made up of thermalright engineers; so yes. ;)

Rlly?
Can I have a source of this? Im would like to confirm :up:

Sure does look cool, but I'm sticking with direct contact heatpipe tech until something cheaper and better comes along.

Wait, does that mean the Xigmatek S1283/S2184 is better than all TRUEs (except copper) and Prolimatech?
Im kinda outdated when it comes to air heatsinks performance now...

i think were hitting the limit of air cooling. i bet we will see more products like the H50 coming out if people demand more simple solutions with limited space.

Is there anything beyond (better) than the TRUE copper?

Froggy
08-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Seems that the looks only matter these days, no wonder TRUE has been THE king for what, 3 years? :rolleyes:

I demand MORE SURFACE AREA!

IFX-14

initialised
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
i think were hitting the limit of air cooling. i bet we will see more products like the H50 coming out if people demand more simple solutions with limited space.I've been using OEM versions of the H50 (AseTec LCLC 120 MK2) for 18 months, generally speaking it offers better cooling than all the air coolers (TRUE, V8, Fenrir), TEC assisted (CoolIT Elite, Titan Amanda) and other sealed unit liquid cooling (CM S1, Domino) I use. I'm surprised that it is now being seen as a viable alternative following Corsair's marketing push where before it was rubbished on here. Combined with a pair of decent fans it can't be beaten by anything on the market at the same price point. What we need now is a refrigeration unit that fits it either a PSU or triple 5.25 bay form factor that's as easy to use as the LCLC to be rubbished for a couple of years until a big name memory company slaps it's logo on it *cough* OCZ *cough*

RaZz!
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

it's not just you (and the other people as well). i thought the same immediately after i saw that cooler. i was like" omg, transformers, omg" :p:

dan7777
08-25-2009, 03:58 AM
and the winner is ? lol

Chruschef
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Rlly?
Can I have a source of this? Im would like to confirm :up:

i can't find the page for the life of me. :confused:
also, prolima is actually an acronym for something as well. i'll try to dig up the article.

slim142
08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
i can't find the page for the life of me. :confused:
also, prolima is actually an acronym for something as well. i'll try to dig up the article.

Please :D
Also, the TRUE still beats the Prolimatech right? I think by 2 or 3 degress? (not sure)

WhiteFireDragon
08-25-2009, 05:54 PM

they need to make that one like dirt so the newer black version can shine. looks like they jinxed thermalright, so i predict a copper version coming out in a few months

Baron_Davis
08-26-2009, 10:42 AM

LOL I know! Marketing is even dirtier though...

Chruschef
08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Also, the TRUE still beats the Prolimatech right? I think by 2 or 3 degress? (not sure)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=1
here's the page about the thermalright engineers. ;) .. includes some results as further on.

zalbard
08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Nope, Megahalems performs better.

slim142
08-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the link Chruschef

Zalbard, any numbers? does it perform better by a lot?

Also, could you tell me how the scale goes? ex: TRUE Copper>Megahalems>TRUE Black/Silver Extreme>Xigmatek S1283

Chruschef
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the link Chruschef

Also, could you tell me how the scale goes? ex: TRUE Copper>Megahalems>TRUE Black/Silver Extreme>Xigmatek S1283

they're honestly so close, it really comes down which one you think looks the nicest.

zalbard
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd say at least 2-3 degrees better. Maybe more, depends on fans and amount of modding you're doing to True.
Plus the mounting system is totally superior.

Hmm. Megahalems is more or less as good as True Copper I'd say. I think TC might beat it by a degree or two with really powerful fans and all mods, though. Megahalems shines with pretty much any fans, scales well also ofc.
Gotta remember that TC is heavy as hell. I wouldn't use it vertically myself...

Another review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/17486-prolimatech-megahalems-cpu-cooler-review-9.html

slim142
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
I'd say at least 2-3 degrees better. Maybe more, depends on fans and amount of modding you're doing to True.
Plus the mounting system is totally superior.

Hmm. Megahalems is more or less as good as True Copper I'd say. I think TC might beat it by a degree or two with really powerful fans and all mods, though. Megahalems shines with pretty much any fans, scales well also ofc.
Gotta remember that TC is heavy as hell. I wouldn't use it vertically myself...

Another review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/17486-prolimatech-megahalems-cpu-cooler-review-9.html

I see
So the best one would be the TRUE Copper and the very next to it would be the Megahalem.

I ask myself it this will get any better...

Baron_Davis
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Best cooling is attained by living up North and opening a window. Fact.

slim142
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Thats too much

[XC] Synthetickiller
08-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I think it should look more like this............

http://www.jordansimaxtheatre.com/liveupdater/ThumbNails/autobots_logo_sm.jpg

..... but close enough.

trt740
09-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Pre sale orders are listed here on this site and it comes out in 2 days.

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/prolimatech-mega-shadow-deluxe-edition-cpu-cooler.html

zalbard
09-07-2009, 08:50 AM
I ordered mine elsewhere for 79.99$ as well, will be shipped to me within a week or two. :D

orangekiwii
09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
While you pay 80$ for a mega shadow, i paid 50$ for a true black 5 $ for modding and lapping supplies and atm i'm in the process of pressure mounting it and lapping it :)

So yeah, true wins. :)

zalbard
09-07-2009, 09:28 AM
So yeah, true wins. :)
Price wise, not performance wise.

orangekiwii
09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
And performance wise. Stock true and megahalem/shadow perform about the same and a modded true will perform better especially with 2500 rpm fans

so I win price and performance

trt740
09-07-2009, 01:47 PM
And performance wise. Stock true and megahalem/shadow perform about the same and a modded true will perform better especially with 2500 rpm fans

so I win price and performance

we could argue this all day. Both are good.

Tom128
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
From everything I have read the difference between the two would be so close it could come down to how well you applied the TIM on each for your comparison.

Solarfall
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
i think they should have just skipped this black one and made cpu cooler out from full copper :D

slim142
09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I hate the orange look

trt740
09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
From everything I have read the difference between the two would be so close it could come down to how well you applied the TIM on each for your comparison.

With The C revision they are with the margin of error of each other.

slim142
09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
With The C revision they are with the margin of error of each other.

Whether they are matched or by a difference of 1c, the Megashadow looks waaaay better and the fins dont look sharp unlike the TRUE which cuts you if you are not careful.

trt740
09-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Whether they are matched or by a difference of 1c, the Megashadow looks waaaay better and the fins dont look sharp unlike the TRUE which cuts you if you are not careful.

true but so far it's 90.00+ shipped on preorder

slim142
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
true but so far it's 90.00+ shipped on preorder

The price of bling :ROTF:

Ozzfest05
09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Another TR copy????

zalbard
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Another TR copy????
Huh? What has TR has to do with this?
It has nothing to do with True, and quite honestly TR has a lot to learn from this product... Mounting system alone is great.

gatecrasherlok
09-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Okay so I hear the mounting system is great but can anyone shine any light on whether it needs to be lapped like the TRUE?

trt740
09-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Huh? What has TR has to do with this?
It has nothing to do with True, and quite honestly TR has a lot to learn from this product... Mounting system alone is great.

The TRUE has more to do with this product than any made. It's is based off the TRUE and the same team that designed the original TRUE defected to this company.

Prolimatech Megahalems

What happens when the best engineers from Thermalright decide that it's time to leave a stagnant company who refuses their ideas? They gather their intellect and begin Prolimatech. Unlike other companies that have formed from the staff of another, Prolimatech didn't decide to leave their former home and release another mundane mainstream product. The Prolimatech Megahalems offers everything former projects (like the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme) featured, but then adds new engineering where there were improvements needed.

Okay so I hear the mounting system is great but can anyone shine any light on whether it needs to be lapped like the TRUE?

Here is what they say http://www.prolimatech.com/index.html
Lapping Warning!
Prolimatech does not condone any type of lapping done to the CPU or to heatsink base. Every Prolimatech's heatsink base is designed on a pin-point scale of how the base is to be flat and/or curved where it's needed to be. We have programed our machines to machine the surface in a very calculated way. Any after-manufacture lapping or modding done to the base will alter the design, hence negating its performance factor as well as its warranty.

Nickel020
09-10-2009, 05:57 AM

It has a slight bow, much smaller than the TRUE. I believe that a slight bow is actually beneficial, this was also shown to be the case with some CPU waterblocks (e.g. the Heatkiller 3.0 Cu (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221366&highlight=lapping) that performs slightly better @ stock with a small bow than when lapped)

b0bd0le
09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
so where does the IFX-14 place into the lineup?

trt740
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM

In the I'm too big an incompatible with a lot of cases and motherboards section :shocked:

crystogod
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM

I had no problems install nor cutting myself installing my true, it's about taking your time (i also have big hands)

black heatsink but silver heatpipes ???

Maybe coating the heatpipes worked against cooling performance, i have to admit it does look better with the Silver on black pipes, i also am :shakes: not in love with the Autobots style top. This may look good in your average build but no ways give you flexibility when modding. Your stuck with an eyesore in the middle of your theme.

:2cents:

trt740
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I had no problems install nor cutting myself installing my true, it's about taking your time (i also have big hands)

Maybe coating the heatpipes worked against cooling performance, i have to admit it does look better with the Silver on black pipes, i also am :shakes: not in love with the Autobots style top. This may look good in your average build but no ways give you flexibility when modding. Your stuck with an eyesore in the middle of your theme.

:2cents:

I loved my TRUE black but the TRUE is most definitely more delicate than the MEG it's fins bend more easily and it's fan clips are harder to use, plus the old mount scratches the base. However the fan holders and new mounting kit should fix that . The MEG looks a lot better mounted with a cool LED fan than naked were the TRUE is just flat out cool looking. Don't get me wrong the Meg looks great but I just like the bends and curves of the TRUE a bit more. Performance wise they are on par and the Shadows is cool as heck.

Nickel020
09-11-2009, 12:20 AM

Unfortunately there's no review that really proves where the IFX stands gaisnt the Megahalems, some say it's better than the Mega, others say it's worse, but there are only very reviews comparing them.

My (educated) guess is that the IFX-14 may be slightly worse unlapped, slightly better when lapped, and superior in (even unlapped) in a dual fan configuration, since you can do push-push, while push-pull doesn't benefit the Mega much.

As I'm fed up with the quality/accuracy of air cooling reviews I'm currently doing an in-depth review of the TRUE vs. the Mega mself. After mounting each one 4 times I can say that the Mega is ~1.5C better than the unlapped TRUE, but I still have to do the washer mod and lap the TRUE (and try washer mod + lapped TRUE) as well as test a second stock TRUE, i.e. mount the TRUE at least 16 more times...

jmke
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
IFX-14 reigns supreme, largest surface area to work with that can be effectively cooled with one or more fans.
price/performance is definitely not the best choice out there... but neither is the Megahalems;)

Nickel020
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure if it does better than the Mega unlapped in a single fan configuration. We're probably talking +/- 1C here though, depending on the fan used, so whether you got lucky and got a really good mount vs. an average mount is more important than which cooler you choose.

crystogod
09-11-2009, 02:10 AM
IFX-14 reigns supreme, largest surface area to work with that can be effectively cooled with one or more fans.
price/performance is definitely not the best choice out there... but neither is the Megahalems;)

The IFX-14 is a big cooler and looks good, just that gay design really put me off.. with the torn look.. yuck :shakes: