PDA

View Full Version : Tri-fire not recognized in win 7 CCC 9.8

Splave
08-22-2009, 05:34 AM
When installing I add one card at a time. windows picks-up the pci display device and its fine. 2-cards crossfire works fine shows up in CCC and enabled in gpu-z. 3-cards when I boot its fine windows recognizes it GPU-Z sees it (crossfire disabled though) and CCC doesnt even show a Crossfire-X tab anymore :shrug:

should I try older drivers? I have the 4th card here ready to pop in as well but figure I should get 3 working first :up:

Orillian
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
just for fun, try the forth card. On a side note. try swapping the card out that was not showing crossfire and put the last one in and see if you get crossfire with that setup. Or barring that also try a different crossfire link cable.

I have had issues in the past with the link cables not connecting.

If you've tried all these ideas. Do try another older driver. 9.7 or 9.6 and see if the driver versions make a difference. But always go thrugh a couple swap arounds on your hardware first. sometimes as silly as it sounds swapping one card up or down in the system can make a difference.

Good luck getting that all up and running. :)

BTW: What 4890's are you using? :)

O.

GLENBOY
08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
i have win 7 and it shows tri fire and all working ok i'd reinstall driveres or maybe try and earlier driver as noted above, i have tried all of them since 9.4 and all worked ok in trifire also might be a bios issue (too many irq's)try disabling anything you don't use in bios (lan 1394 onboard sound etc

texasreefer
08-25-2009, 04:06 AM
When installing I add one card at a time. windows picks-up the pci display device and its fine. 2-cards crossfire works fine shows up in CCC and enabled in gpu-z. 3-cards when I boot its fine windows recognizes it GPU-Z sees it (crossfire disabled though) and CCC doesnt even show a Crossfire-X tab anymore :shrug:

should I try older drivers? I have the 4th card here ready to pop in as well but figure I should get 3 working first :up:

That's what i did when I first started using crossfire ( putting one card at a time just to be safe), but that's not how it works. Your MB can and will recognize all cards through BIOS it doesn't need to have catalyst installed to recognize it. When you add one card, then add another, then add another...you are confusing your MB and Catalyst.

Put in as many cards as you are going to use ALL AT ONCE. I don't think an OS reinstall is necessary, but definetly unistall Catalyst and make sure all the video drivers are gone in the Device Manager (instead of 4890 driver, it should be Standard VGA driver). Shutdown and then install the hardware, and connect the Interconnect Links. Then install Catalyst. See if that helps. good luck

Elloquin
08-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Actually kinda funny I was just bouncing around with this last night on a new build (well older but redone :P) Not sure it will help as the mobo I am using is different and it is with 2 x 4870 x2's but in essence same platform, X58 i7 and 4 ati gpus. I have seen a few people go through the same problem before (and you'd be surprised who the last one was lol)
At any rate here's my deal maybe it will help you as well. I'll try to be as detailed as possible but the solution is quite simple actually.
Components:
Biostar X58 (original not X58a)
Core i7 965 EE
6 Gigs Corsair Dominator 1600
2 x HIS 4870 x2 Quadfire 9.8 Cats Windows 7 64 RC
X-Fi Fatality Extreme Gamer
All stock for now its a daily driver.

All cards appeared in device manager. Installed the drivers. No Crossfire x tab and if you look into info in ccc and hit the harware tab one gpu will be enabled and two will either be linked and the fourth disabled or one enabled and only two linked with the fourth missing. Reboot. Crossfire will enable (did for me) Screen will flicker and some other ATI normal wackyness. At this point I had the crossfire tab but the 4th gpu was still missing. Went back into the bios as i had seen this before lol. Upped the south bridge voltage (on Biostar the bios is much simpler than the Classified I have one of those as well but it's not in front of me/running at the moment for me to get the equivalent setting for ya) set the voltage for 1.53v. Booted and had crossfire enabled all four GPU's. Next day booted up and no crossfire again lol. Upped the southbridge voltage to 1.55v. (still within the green "safe" voltages) and it has been fine ever since. For whatever reason it seems the southbridge on auto just doesn't get enough juice to supply all the GPU's.
This is only my experience and yours may be different but it works for me :up:

P.S. Your sig says you have 4 4890's but the title says trifire so i made the assumption you will be using 4. I remember now lol. There's two voltage settings for this on the classified. ICH VCore ( Auto – 1.050 )<---I'd start by upping this and IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( auto - 1.5 ) and maybe this as well if need be.

Splave
08-25-2009, 06:13 AM
thanks guys

texasreefer
08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, I am not fancy on upping Voltages...especially anything other than Ram or CPU. What's the deal, did you get it up and running?

Elloquin
08-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Well, I am not fancy on upping Volateges...especially anything other than Ram or CPU. What's the deal, did you get it up and running?

Well, like I said it's what worked for me on more than one occasion across more than one platform. Aside from that i see that in your sig you are running 32 bit vista? If that's the case you aren't running quad crossx as per your sig. Quad crossx will only fully work with a 64 bit os. Even if you somehow managed to trick the driver into enabling the 3rd and 4th cores if you test it you will see that the 3rd and 4th cores never ramp up from stock when you load them in 3d. If you use a second monitor you can get the 3rd to ramp up but still not the 4th.

texasreefer
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
First off, we are not trying to find a solution for my rig.

From my experience, the simplest solution is usually the best one. If some one is having problems firing up their cards you don't want to go and complicate stuff by changing voltages, that being said.

I don't know who's giving you this information. I have been running 4 gpus on vista 32-bit for a couple years now, and only just recently switched to a 64bit OS. You can run four gpus on vista 32 FYI.

Here is my proof: www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232011

maxgull
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
First off, we are not trying to find a solution for my rig.

From my experience, the simplest solution is usually the best one. If some one is having problems firing up their cards you don't want to go and complicate stuff by changing voltages, that being said.

I don't who's giving you this information. I have been running 4 gpus on vista 32-bit for a couple years now, and only just recently switched to a 64bit OS. You can run four gpus on vista 32 FYI.

wow, quadfire for a couple years. what mobo, gpu's?

texasreefer
08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally, a Maximus Formula SE w/ a Q6600 @ 3.6, then the same board with a QX9650 at 4.0Ghz, and now on a I7920. I have had my MSI OC since the begining, and have gone through an Asus , and HIS gpu's.

Have you seen much improvement from Vista to Win 7?

maxgull
09-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally, a Maximus Formula SE w/ a Q6600 @ 3.6, then the same board with a QX9650 at 4.0Ghz, and now on a I7920. I have had my MSI OC since the begining, and have gone through an Asus , and HIS gpu's.

Have you seen much improvement from Vista to Win 7?
maximus formula has only 2 pcie x16 slots, what am i missing? the maximus formula i have (not SE) the slots are too close together to fit 2-2slot cards into...not argueing, just wondering...
anyway
I like the GUI, there are some handy window re-sizing features and tool bar, has a good built in driver set (not perfect but pretty darn good), also has a good "crash recovery". i have had it do a semi-automatic "repair" of the os after an oc'ing blackscreen.
i did pick up a few FPS over vista with the xfired 4890's and prior xfired 4850's in Vantage.
i would recommend it fer sure.

texasreefer
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I tell you I had a lot of issues with the x58 Rampage Extreme layout, bc even though there is a third slot it eats up space for other accesories i.e. TV tuner, audio card... But, I have had no problems with the layout of the Maximus. I am pretty sure that the SE and the regular Maximus are identical, only difference being the Fushion Block. I have had no problems fitting my X2s, especially not with my water blocks... the X2s are single slot cards.

The new Co-op card from Nvidia are badaxxes also. Every ATI card is different e.g. Radeon, Powercolor, Sapphire, MSI, Asus..... or I should say mainly the cooler (also, Asus cards are different than AMD brand cards). So, it doesn't suprise me that one of your cards didn't fit, were they different brands?

maxgull
09-03-2009, 09:27 AM
no, same brand diamond 4850's w/scythe air coolers on them. looking at the photo of the SE, there is another pcie slot between the pcie x16 slots where the non se doesnt have the extra slot in between. if i get a chance i'll post a pic..it would fit 2 like 3000 series ATi cards, not 2 with with a wide coolers

texasreefer
09-04-2009, 03:53 AM
When are you going to jump on the I7? You can prob still get $250 for that QX9650 on ebay, and about $150 for that Mobo and RAM. Your overclockability will go through the roof. ONly reason I say is that I was able to get my qx9650 to 4.0 Ghz, but very glitchy... not too stable at all.

maxgull
09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
When are you going to jump on the I7? You can prob still get $250 for that QX9650 on ebay, and about $150 for that Mobo and RAM. Your overclockability will go through the roof. ONly reason I say is that I was able to get my qx9650 to 4.0 Ghz, but very glitchy... not too stable at all.

i've had my QX up to 4.6ghz @ 1.65vcore bench stable, and 24/7 @ 4.1ghz. refrigerated W/C FTW.
i am skipping i7, looking for the Westmere Gulftown, probably the second iteration (stepping) of it (if there is one!). i use the x38 board as a test stand for 775 socket stuff, vid cards etc (i have a business repairing computers on the side). i do have some stuff i should ebay tho....

texasreefer
09-05-2009, 07:41 PM
1.65V damn.... They say anything over 1.5v is very damaging to a CPU...what do you think about that? I had to take that QX9650 to 1.512V to hit 4.0Ghz. It's just that when I compared 3dmark scores at 4.0Ghz with the QX series and with i7 there was a huge gain.

The x58 series has just taken Videocards to a new level, kinda evening the battle with ATI and Nvidia. Now that you can triple crossfire, SLI has a true competitor. I've never heard of Westmore Gulftown, what is that?

maxgull
09-06-2009, 04:29 AM
oh, there is no doubt i shortened the lifespan of the chip. do not try it at home! 1.5 will shorten the life also. IIRC 1.36 is intels max recommended (right!). cooling is an issue at that vcore. you gotta be a little extreme in that respect.
the i7 smokes the Q9xxx cpus in video benchmarks, for sure, not so much from what i've seen in mathmatical. maybe i'm not looking in the right place.
Westmere Gulftown is the codename for the next flagship cpu coming from intel in short order, they say last qtr of '09, i hope its out by xmas. it is a 6 core, 12 thread processor. ima thinkin it may give the i7 a run for its money.

texasreefer
09-06-2009, 07:19 AM
What about those Xenon chips? Those are the badboys that are dominating the 3dmark Arena...Oced to 5.0 and higher. THose aren't LG 1366 right? YEah, the only reason I stopped going over 1.5 is because I did that to an extreme series and the chip never behaved the same after.

YOu know... I have Hyperthreading disabled on my CPU, if I run the CPU test on 3dmark 06 i get a failed test. Frame rates go up in Graphics tests, but fails on CPU test. Do you know, does HT make the I7 equivalent to an eight core chip?

maxgull
09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
i havent got any idea on how the i7 works, how to oc or anything. never played with one. i'm sure there are threads in here that will tell all plus some! sry!